And so it begins, car value crash... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

And so it begins, car value crash...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 09Scuderia, Apr 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    This is nothing new, this has been the trend for years and then it came full circle. I believe nothing will change here and in fact likely be the opposite - I bet most will want to get back into the office and work live with people vs. video or con calls.

MaurizioAM, nativh and Texas Forever like this.
  3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Nah, they will just suit up.

4. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hold on to your F-cars kids. This P-demic can't last forever. The World has to get back to work. Even China!!! LOL

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    One of my best friends has a BHPH lot, keeps about 200 vehicles on the lot. Zero sales in 30 days.

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Jesus..how many did he avg out per 30 days before Covid?

7. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    15-20 typical, but the boom time is Feb-May for tax season. That's why he loaded up with cars, as they do in 1Q. They then whittle those down over the summer.

Texas Forever likes this.
  8. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Last night on TV I saw a commercial for 8 years, 0% financing from Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I think there’s something to this. The new model of city centers in areas surrounding a major metro area, in my opinion, is likely to continue. When the Domain in Austin opened, we stopped going downtown, except for rare occasions. Currently near the Woodlands, and it has just about everything I would need (non-work related) on a regular basis, thus reducing the need to go to Houston proper except for visits to the clients main office. These mini hubs 30min - 1hr from the big city encourage vehicle ownership and still provide access to walkable areas with cafe lifestyle via car (ironically).

Additionally, I agree that this virus event has made me reconsider living in a densely packed city (but won’t keep me from visiting).

Translation to me is that average person in this living scenario can have a lifestyle vehicle (sports car/Jeep/truck) and errand runner (suv/econo car/van). Uber/Lyft model remains for night out in the city center.

More on topic, I think new and new used cars are going to suffer most since few will afford them in short term. Exotics probably suffer less on price, but take longer to sell unless it has the right features. Right about now with my F430 on the market, I know I’d be doing better if it was resell red.

10. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Actually might have overstated at 200. I think he's got more like 120-130. Either way it's $$$$ in stalled inventory.

11. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Land Rover is 0% for 72 months.....I am seriously contemplating getting a Sport for my wife and trading her Velar....great trade offer, no payments for 3 months, and free money....I was going to do it next year but it will cost me roughly $4500 in payments over 12 months......her car will certainly depreciate more than that when I go to trade it next year....

12. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    MSRP?

13. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    The new Defender tempted me until I saw the price...

LI2782 likes this.
  14. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    That's very possible, it's also possible that working at home will become more the norm and a car won't be as needed and a couple can share. All just a guessing game at this point.

15. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ouch....just specced one to my liking....$70K+

technom3 likes this.
  16. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I specced mine a few times to see how low I can go with "must haves" and it was around 70-80k. Thanks for bringing it back Land Rover but no thanks lol.

17. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't think you're going to want to own one of those for 6 years. Lease it so you can get out of it before the warranty expires.

Lusso123, ChipG, IloveGT and 2 others like this.
  18. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    If he really is BHPH, lack of sales is not his biggest concern. Not even close. The much larger issue is the millions in outstanding loans he has. Will the debt get serviced or will his customers default all at once.

LARRYH and blvckintl like this.
  19. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Auto manufacturers and dealers still remember the hard lessons of the Great Recession. They can right size on a dime. The new car sales went from 17M annually to 9M and stayed low for years. Everyone in the auto business understands the boom/bust cycle. Doesn’t mean it will be pleasant.

ross and Texas Forever like this.
  20. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    A few people are paying, he's being patient for now. They have considerable AR but thankfully they started selling their accounts in blocks about 18 mos ago to BHPH factoring/finance companies. I represented him on the contracts, the rates are actually amazing what they were buying this sub and below-sub paper at after 3 mos' payments. Either way that will be a saving grace for him now, that he sold a big % of his AR over the past year.

Texas Forever and Thecadster like this.
  21. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    18 mos ago when car shopping I tried the new Discovery, wheezy rental car feel. I drove about 200 ft off the lot and said, "I don't like this." Flipped a u-turn and right back. I was mildly tempted by the RR Sport but I thought that was too reliable and bought an Alfa instead!

nsmv and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  22. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    You tried the discovery or the discovery sport? Two very different vehicles

23. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I guess it was the sport. Was a 4-cyl.

24. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The discussion about work from home being the new norm and impacting car values is interesting. IMO work from home is showing that it is not efficient. Most workers do not have the discipline to police themselves working from home and many industries - even high tech - don't lend themselves well to it. Go down the list of industries and you will find issues.

Automotive industry needs factories. Defense needs person-person for production and test. Agriculture is obvious. Restaurants. Sports. The list goes on. On-line sales and consulting - sure be naked and work from home. A lot of the rest is problematic IMO. Offices will change but they definitely won't disappear. HR wants your butt in the office where they can keep an eye on you.

DW68, PTG1, ross and 3 others like this.
  25. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    that makes sense. They gave me one as a loaner once after doing a song and dance about how they were short on loaners. I got about a mile down the street and brought it back.

ryalex likes this.