$94,000 Profit On Each Car | Page 2 | FerrariChat

$94,000 Profit On Each Car

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by BJK, Apr 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Most? LOL we are talking about Ferrari's that sell at or above sticker price, not a Ford Mustang they discount 30% off it when you walk in the dealership.

Do you really think a Ferrari dealer makes $500 or less on a car? They sell 500 cars a year.

2. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Just to add to the conversation, I have the invoice for my ‘97 355 challenge. It shows the dealer mark up to be 15%, suggested retail was 142,500.00 and dealer cost was 121,125.00.

DGPF and Texas Forever like this.
  3. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    My comment was in reference to people saying the dealers were making 30% on pick up trucks. Which is why I quoted that person. It wasn't pertaining to Ferrari.

ChipG likes this.
  4. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Standard mark mp in the business is 7-9%. Then there is hold back or dealer added money.

Then you have your earned 3% money which you don't know if you get it until the end of the year depending on your csi or sales quotas.

Prior to everyone giving everything away so pre 2010. Porsche used to have the highest markup of the main line dealer at around 12%

Texas Forever and LARRYH like this.
  5. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Ok, just remember they also have what is called hold back that gets paid to them from the factory for every car they sell so when you see a dealer selling a car at invoice it's not what they really pay or make on a car, year-end hold back checks get cut for each unit sold.

6. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    To the two above posts. I was just passing along what I have for information not trying set a definitive conclusion.

ChipG likes this.
  7. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    You must've peddled cars (as opposed to owned a new car franchise) so you're not privy to the real numbers. Absolutely zero chance that a new car has only 7 - 9% on the front end plus a measly 2 or 3% holdback. If any of that were true, rather than a 3 to 10 million dollar building, they'd be operating out of a shack or construction trailer and their inventory would be parked on gravel. Of course, we know that's not the case.

tres55 likes this.
  8. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    I'm in construction and one of my repeat clients is a major car dealer name (something like 117 dealerships right now?). He tells me all the time that they're not really in the car business, they're in real estate. But all real estate has to generate revenue, and they choose to do it by selling cars there.
    This perspective probably explains why he's been among the fastest- growing dealership chains in the country.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

DGPF, tres55, anunakki and 2 others like this.
  9. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #34 technom3, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    Washed

Detailed

Peddled

Managed

Owned.

Apparently you have never worked in the business

It's service that pays for the building. And really in the new car game... Finance is what makes selling new cars worth it. (well plus the perks of being a new car franchise)

But thanks for playing

Texas Forever, anunakki and SAFE4NOW like this.
  10. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Ohh and I forgot.... I worked for a major manufacturer.

11. Philfromphilly

Jan 26, 2020
    Full Name:
    Phil Wilson
    Lol Amen brother!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Nuvolari and tbakowsky like this.
  12. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    They did, in 1968. Turned out to be one of the best cars they ever built.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

GatorFL, DGPF, tres55 and 4 others like this.
  13. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Gross margin for high fashion brands is generally around 60-70%. Insane for tangible goods. Ferrari's gross margin of 50% (from a quick google) is also extremely impressive comparing to other hardware products.

14. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    there are not many $400000 new products that someone does not make 94K or more on......

15. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I
    I Wish that was the case. Some cars just won't come down to 50 cents on the dollar.

16. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    To be clear , this article is saying that
    Ferrari made this avg profit per car ........NOT a Dealership.

S

Texas Forever and ChipG like this.
  17. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    We’re talking about Ferrari here, right?

Service is a necessary evil , that tries its best to build on its previous years profits.

I am pretty sure sales does the heavy lifting. New,
    pre-owned , and F&I.

IMO

S

18. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    No. The new auto business in general.

But to address your point... A stand alone Ferrari store could not be profitable and pay for it's real estate on new car sales alone. Volume is too low for many stores.

And absolutely in the past NO WAY a dealer could survive. In the 90s not a chance without service.

One hint is that USA owners manuals required 3 year majors and Europe required 5 year.

Service departments are the money maker. At a luxury dealer... It is about 3 times the profit of new car profit.

Texas Forever, Lusso123 and SAFE4NOW like this.
  19. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

Luxury Dealerships in General , I can agree.
    When I worked with Mercedes , we were running between 18,500 and 20,000 hours a month x $180ph ....

At Ferrari , we are one of the busier Service departments in the network , and I can assure you we don't run as many hours as MB does a month... in an entire year....yes, it is a profit center , but not as much as a lot of people imagine it to be.

s

20. blvckintl

blvckintl Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2018
    Newport Beach, CA
    As a sales manager for one of the largest automotive groups in America, I can say he is speaking the truth.

7-9% is generous. Highest factory gross percentages (non-exotic) are between Jaguar Land Rover and Porsche. Porsche is still ~10% Front End. Jaguar Land Rover has 4.5% front and 7% in the back (assuming you jump through JLRs hoops to qualify for the full 7% with CSI, CPO Sales, and about 10 other metrics).

Other brands like BMW use a volume based pro-rating holdback, so the more cars they sell the more they make per car. It's set on a monthly basis. Many BMW and GM dealers take 4 figure "net" losses per car when they roll off the lot.

There is little money to be made in front end gross anymore, name of the game is F&I, Parts, and Service. Those are the real cash cows.

Texas Forever, technom3 and anunakki like this.
  21. ScreaminRevs

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Okay, I've heard the sob stories from Mercedes dealers earlier this year when shopping for a '20 (pre CV-19), about how their profit is 5.5% on the front end and another 6.5% on the back, and "that's literally all there is". I even had a lengthy conversation with a GM who agreed with me on the gross profit/unit on new cars (i.e. 25% off MSRP being dealer cost), yet he claimed Mercedes was different and that their profit was half other makes .

Blvckintl and Justin care to place a wager -- specifically that profit on a new 2020 MB is nowhere near the alleged 12%?

22. ScreaminRevs

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    That's right. Cost to a dealer on a $400,000 812 would be between $300K and $320K. $94,000 corporate profit is on the $300K sale to the dealer.

23. Bcy288

Bcy288 Rookie

Feb 27, 2020
    Slightly off topic, but somewhat related question...how much dealer profit margin is generally built into used Ferrari pricing?

24. blvckintl

blvckintl Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2018
    Newport Beach, CA
    I'll place a wager and show you invoices and holdback payouts from my brand (Jaguar Land Rover). You're delusional if you think there is 25% F/E Gross in a new car, but hey what do I know I'm just a sales manager for one of the largest dealer groups in America :rolleyes:

25. blvckintl

blvckintl Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2018
    Newport Beach, CA