Goodwood Members’ Meeting 2020 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Goodwood Members’ Meeting 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jack-the-lad, Jan 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I can’t do without my Tsing Tao, brewed in the US under license, though.;)

2. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Yes while I used to enjoy a Tsing Tao there are some excellent alternatives available, especially from Germany and England :)

3. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    My totally uninformed opinion.....

By the time the restrictions are lifted there will be time for two....perhaps only one....Goodwood event in 2020. That would mean no MM, as it is not nearly the revenue generator that FOS and Revival are.

4. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    If I understand some things I’ve been reading, the government’s chief medical officer is recommending that no large public gatherings be permitted for the rest of the year. If Boris goes along with this that will put paid to any Goodwood events I would think. Sad.

5. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    However they lift restrictions, and who knows what that will look like, I honestly cant see any mass gatherings occurring this year in the UK or most any main land European country.

A lot of events and trips binned; but as frustrating and disappointing as it is; a small price to pay to save some lives.

Here's to 2021!

6. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I’m not sure that is going to save any lives, but that’s a discussion for P&R.

7. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    The Duke announced today that Members’ Meeting has been “postponed” until next April. 2020 tickets will be honored. No mention of refunds was made. I suppose his thought is to use his members’ money for a year.....

8. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Where is the 'unlike' button?

9. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #59 Jack-the-lad, May 15, 2020
    Last edited: May 15, 2020
    I could give you a hint, but(t).......

10. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
  11. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    With lost revenue from the Racing as well, this is going to be a bad year for Goodwood. I can't say that the GSA etc. offers have any appeal for me, but you have to give him marks for trying. I'm happy to let my tickets (Members' and Revival - FoS isn't for me) ride over to next year, though, and shall renew my membership as usual, in the hope that there will be events next year - if we all ask for refunds, it makes it more likely that there won't be any events, which would be a sad loss.:(:(

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  12. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Don't worry, I expect he has laid it on a bit thick to get the sympathy vote - I don't see His Lordship queueing up for the dole any time soon! The Dukes of Richmond have survived pretty well over the years since King Charles gave it one to Louise de Kerouaille one night when the Queen wasn't looking, and little Charlie popped out nine months later.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  13. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Isn’t business interruption coverage available in the UK? I would have thought the property and its operations would be well protected from such eventualities.

14. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, but . . . as usual, insurance companies, being the slimy bastards they are, are finding ways of slithering out of their responsibilities, something at which they are the world leading experts. Take this example from the Association of British Insurers website:

. . . only a very small number of businesses choose to buy any form of cover that includes business interruption due to a notifiable or infectious disease. Usually, these extensions list the very specific diseases which are covered, not any notifiable disease that may emerge, such as COVID-19. An even smaller number of these businesses will have cover where the notifiable or infectious disease is unspecified, potentially enabling them to claim for the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.

However, such policies often only apply when the disease is present at the premises.

15. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Interesting; so what costs is he trying to cover? It’s a bit of tarmac with some grass either side; with staff costs covered till August?!

As to insurance, you can get coverage; but would he pay the premium demanded or effectively self insure given the massive popularity of the events and until this year very low risk of anything cancelling an entire event or series of events!

I suspect we will never see detail to answer any of the above!

16. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I had seen that in the press awhile ago. Wasn’t the government suppose to be looking into them honouring the “spirit” of the policy? (And if you hang your hat there; you might as well buy a new Ferrari on the basis you will win the lottery this weekend, without buying a ticket!!!)

17. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Loss of profit, I assume - in addition to the gate money, some of which he will probably have to return anyway, there is all the pitch fees, catering profits, merchandise sales, et., etc. - the list goes on and on.

My claim's already gone in, as well as my order - new Roma, please!:)

Incidentally, it looks like your prediction #55 was spot on.

18. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Going to this the previous weekend instead of the Revival https://concoursofelegance.co.uk/ Hardly the same, but at least there should be some interesting cars there, so it makes up for it a little bit.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  19. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I think this year; any event will be a good event! Looks a bit posh for us; but might see weather wise closer to the time.

(Not often I don’t like being right!!!)

20. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    And yet 60,000 people have died ...

It's been incompetent, but that's another thing entirely.

Collesano likes this.
  21. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    P&R alert!

22. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    I might go to the Hampton Court event but not giving them any of my money yet until there is more clarity on wheter it will actually take place. The Duke of Richmond still has my money for the 2020 Members Meeting. Once bitten twice shy!

A348W likes this.
  23. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  24. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004