Servicing a low-mileage 612 that's been sitting for 9 years. | FerrariChat

Servicing a low-mileage 612 that's been sitting for 9 years.

Discussion in '612/599' started by Peter.A, Apr 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Peter.A

Peter.A Rookie

Dec 10, 2019
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    Peter Alberts
    Dear Community, I am soon to be a 612 owner seeking advice on my purchase.
    My good friend is selling his absolutely gorgeous 2006 Ferrari 612 with HGTC package, CCM brakes in TDF Blue with Cuoio Daytona seats. The car covered just 20'000 km.

The only problem is - the car sat for 9 years at his holiday home with no servicing and just occasional drives to the country club (9'000 km since last service in the service book).

Could you please advice me on what needs to be done to this car? Should I stay away from this car?

Thanks in advance!

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    The lack of service may not be an issue except to a future owner but the lack of use could cause problems from dried out seals etc

It needs a major major service and to be honest a really thoro' inspection before purchase by a main dealer so you know any current issues

Having said that if the last service was 9 or 10 years ago then just under 1000 km a year is more than too many cars get used

If its been in a warm climate no doubt there's sticky buttons and possibly dash shrink too

You may be eligible for one more year of official Ferrari warranty for a little extra peace of mind

Oh and the tires are probably time expired & dangerous

3. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    I think you should start with a major service with all fluids, filters, driving belts, cam belts, battery, tpms sensors, tires etc. €10-12k will be first.

The first year you will probably have some issues but you will have a fantastic car in a stunning combination.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    @360Marnix is right about that. However, I would say if it has been driven regularly, even though not serviced, that's a good sign. The service intervals (by mileage) on the 612 are very long-- this car probably hasn't exceeded any of them. We all know that time is a factor too, though.

Peter.A likes this.
  5. Peter.A

Peter.A Rookie

Dec 10, 2019
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    Peter Alberts
    Thanks for your prompt input guys, greatly appreciated! I will update you if I buy the car and what the dealer will quote.

6. Peter.A

Peter.A Rookie

Dec 10, 2019
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    Peter Alberts
    The combination is what I love the most about this car. I am also quite concerned about the clutch (if needs replacing). Do you know how much this job costs and how long do the pre-2008 clutches last on 612s (if driven normally, mostly highways)?

Thanks again!

7. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    The dealer can read the clutch life setting.

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    On the 612, you can actually visually check clutch wear through a port using the throw-out bearing pin as a reference. Competent techs will know how to do that.

Change all the fluids, filters, cambelts, tensioners, aux belts, and tires as noted above, likely also including the AC refrigerant and dryer/receiver/filter. Hopefully you got a good deal on her and that means you will not take too big a hit overall on the first service. She probably needs a new AGM battery, too. The newer TPMS sensors last quite a while, but if getting new tires....

Post photos, she sounds really nice and HGTC was not all that common.

lee-o, Mamich and Peter.A like this.
  9. Peter.A

Peter.A Rookie

Dec 10, 2019
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    Peter Alberts
    We agreed on 72'000 eur as it is, expecting something around 10k for all the works or am I being too optimistic?

ryalex likes this.
  10. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    It's fine

psych0hans and Peter.A like this.
  11. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    Sounds fair for a HGTC

Peter.A likes this.
  12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Good price and 10,000 eu sounds about right for getting her back on the road, including tires.

Peter.A likes this.
  13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I respectfully disagree with the others, double that amount. Think of it as if you were doing major renovations on a house ...... it takes twice as long and costs twice as much. You are basing that estimate on the problems you can see. ;)

14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I think Paul is right, depending on who is doing the work..I can’t see you walking away from the likes of Scuderia MC with less than a €15k euro bill, and probably €20k. If it’s a local independent mechanic you trust, then much less.

sounds like a lovely car - beautiful spec. But not all purchases from friends are cheap! Sometimes you don’t want to ask the awkward questions you would otherwise.

psych0hans and 599_GTO like this.
  15. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I just spent 13K USD on a major service at my local independent. Timing belts, coolant hoses, water pump, vacuum hoses, tpms, power steering reservoir and hoses, plugs, injector orings, plugs, broken plastic bits here and there. I agree that prices would be much higher in Europe so I'm being optimistic too.

psych0hans and MRY like this.
  16. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    Tires, €3000
    All filters €1200
    Fluids €800
    Tmps sensors €360
    Wipers €80
    Ac system check & refill €220
    Labour €120/hour.
    All belts incl bearings €750
    Labour for all this (€120/hour) €4000
    Total €10k will do.
    + 20% "unexpected" makes €12k

Clutch: probably not needed
    Brakes: CCM, so with this mileage not needed

Peter.A likes this.
  17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Trying to confuse us with facts, eh? Sounds about right to me, like it did from the start.

18. jochem00

jochem00 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2014
    Netherlands
    A regular service incl cambelts is 1500 euros at the official Ferrari dealer.
    Remember that 15+ year old cars get cheaper hourly rates at the official Ferrari dealer.
    Tires you can get in Cap d’Ail for 1000 euros.

19. Larsoni

Larsoni Rookie

Feb 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Curtis A. Larson
    FWIW...expect the unexpected. After more than 50 years driving Alfas (can anyone relate to fuel pump failure in the Holland Tunnel?) I grabbed a 2005 612 with 5k miles. Around Macon, GA driving North from Fla. the mirror knob came off in my hand and the mirrors folded in as the driver's side window switches began to malfunction. Was I surprised at any of this? How about the time the steering box on my wonderful 1972 Alfa GTV disintegrated? That car and my 1961 Giulietta Spyder are like first love you wish you'd kept. So, the current hi-priced Babe is nick-named "Inge" after the car color "grigio Ingrid" (interesting story) and her upcoming costs, expected or not, will be no surprise. Ferrari ownership: pinch a penny? Impossible.

20. Peter.A

Peter.A Rookie

Dec 10, 2019
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    Peter Alberts
    To my surprise Ferrari quoted just under 6000 EUR for fluids, filters, driving belts, cam belts and a new battery.. Will update you guys on my progress with a car. Taking it for a PPI on Monday.

psych0hans likes this.
  21. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Peter, you need to have them remove the intake plenum and replace the hoses, especially the 180 degree hose. Otherwise you will be sad. Please see my posts on my coolant hose saga. This is a common issue on the 612, that is not present on the 550/575.

22. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Also, we need pictures !

599_GTO likes this.
  23. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best..hopefully they won't find anything else expensive in there. At least it's a PPI and not a Post PI. Hopefully there won't be any unexpected surprises at the PPI..though Ferraris are good at those. It does sound like a lovely car.

Peter.A likes this.
  24. Peter.A

Peter.A Rookie

Dec 10, 2019
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    Peter Alberts
    Update.

I just got some upsetting news from the dealer.. The car suffered minor flood damage being parked at my "friend's" waterfront property, which he failed to mention. Moving forwards, thanks for all your input.

DM me if you would like to see pictures/PPI results, the car is still for sale, but requires 18'000 eur to get it sorted.

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    They are definitely not waterproof. Tough luck, but chasing electrical gremlins on her could be really frustrating and expensive.

randkin and Peter.A like this.