Mondial Oil Pressure Gauge and Sender | FerrariChat

Mondial Oil Pressure Gauge and Sender

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by aabryan, Apr 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aabryan

aabryan Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    I promised I searched around (and will definitely take direction) for this...

My oil pressure gauge (1988 US mondial coupe) is not reading anything.

2 questions (kinda 4)

Is the red warning light on the oil pressure gauge for pressure or level?

What is the part number on the sender? is there a cheaper cross part that works? is there a different sender for a US gauge (in PSI?) vs the AUS (in Bar)?

Andy

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

122592 if threaded with 18X1.5MM
    125340 if threaded with 16x1.5MM

aabryan likes this.
  3. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    The red light is connected to a pressure switch, separate from the pressure sender.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Have you unplugged the single wire from the oil pressure sensor and touched it to (bare metal) ground with the key "on"?:
    If the trouble is the sender, the gauge needle should move to maximum.
    If the gauge needle doesn't move = bad sign for the gauge or its wiring.

5. aabryan

aabryan Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Thanks for the tip Steve! I'll give it a try! Coincidence, just found a reference to your post about installing a standalone gauge... looking for it now.

6. aabryan

aabryan Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Thanks... so no red light... I know I have some pressure, just not how much! I was told it was for pressure, but was worried it was just level.

7. aabryan

aabryan Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    So gauge wen to max. It's the sender!

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Level comes off the connection on the dip stick, if i remember correctly it shows on central console ? Try unplugging and see what lights up.

9. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    The red light in the oil pressure gauge comes on when the switch (below the plenum and on the base of the oil filter) short to ground. That is, when ignition is on and engine off, the red light is on. Mine was short to battery by electrical failure in the lamp socket. Maybe it never worked from the factory since I had to remake the lamp socket to not cause a short to battery. The switch was also broken ...

10. aabryan

aabryan Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Not sure I follow you 100%. It does come on with the ignition, but goes out after startup.

11. aabryan

aabryan Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    I believe that is correct. I actually don’t have the center console panel... so I don’t have a level light. Just the light in the oil pressure gauge.

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk

13. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    Yes, that is correct. As soon as oil pressure builds up, the switch releases the ground connection and the light goes out.

aabryan likes this.