2012 California purchase | FerrariChat

2012 California purchase

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ec21kb, Apr 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ec21kb

ec21kb Rookie

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Biggsy
    Hi,

New to the thread as looking to buy my first ferrari... had a few questions that I'm hoping some people can advise on.

For context, I'm late 30s, never track my cars, dont need too much performance but want the car to look good, sound great and run reliably for around 5k miles a year. Only plan to keep for year or two max before trade in.

That said: much difference / benefit going 2013 vs 2012... seem to be quite a premium.

Warranty a must have on these given gearbox issues? The one I have my eye on is at 47k miles...

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?zip=07093&showNegotiable=true&sortDir=ASC&sourceContext=carGurusHomePage_false_0&distance=50000&sortType=DEAL_SCORE&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d2005#listing=262614535

Seem like a good deal?

Thanks in advance.

2. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    From what I have read on this forum,the speed sensor wiring chafing through was MY 2009-2012. MY 2013-2014 is the California 30-more power,less weight,a better car. Also a handling option was available on the 30 -Handling Speciale. That is why people pay more for them.

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That's a lot of car for a reasonable price. For me, the newest car you can afford is the best one to go for, assuming you like the color, specs, etc.

As for the warranty, let me ask this question - you get hit with a $10K repair bill, is that going to keep you from meeting your other important obligations - family, food, funding your retirement accounts, etc.? Is such a bill likely, probably not, but I like to think in worst case scenarios. The cost to buy a Ferrari is just the entry to more expenses - insurance, gasoline, maintenance, etc. I guestimate that my Cali has cost me ~ $4 - 5K per month in the 4 years we've owned it. That's all in - purchase price, insurance, gasoline, going to FCA and Boardwalk events, maintenance, repairs, tires, etc. That's about $12/mile. Crazy # now that I type it out. But, for myself and my wife, it's been absolutely worth it. I would take a serious & realistic look @ your finances. Life is short, if owning an F-car is your dream, and you got the dough, go for it...T

4. ec21kb

ec21kb Rookie

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Biggsy
    Thanks for the replies! Good advice indeed.

To be honest I've typically gone with the opposite approach of buying the oldest year where the model hasnt significantly changed appearance I.e. had a 2005 db9, 2010 granturismo.... my thinking being if it still looks and runs the same as a model 5 years newer and has depreciated a further 20-30% then its money saved. Was thinking if it's a similar scenario here with the california.

5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I think that is reasonable thinking.
    T

6. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I owned a 2014 Cali30 HS. I recently moved up to McLaren. But, before a did, a local YouTuber reviewed my car.

Take a look for a comprehensive review!

7. ec21kb

ec21kb Rookie

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Biggsy
    Thanks! I must say mclaren is definitely a tempting option also... especially given 1we spiders are around same price as a cali at the moment.

Which model did you go for? No regrets?

8. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Moved up? Come on Adam. You’ll be back.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

blvckintl and tomc like this.
  9. ec21kb

ec21kb Rookie

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Biggsy
    What are the thoughts on 'high' mileage ferraris? Does is really have such a significant impact on value? The one I'm looking at is 47k miles. Don't see too many around that range and above...

10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Sadly, in many markets, that's worn out hooptie territory for a modern Ferrari. If the car in question has the spec you like, good service records, drives well, passes a PPI, & the price is within your economic comfort zone, go for it, especially if you plan to keep and hold...T

ec21kb likes this.
  11. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    That is very high mileage for a 2012 Ferrari. You can buy it cheap,and you will sell it cheap when the time comes. My concerns:
    1) The DCT wiring issue. Good news would be that the service records show that a previous owner dealt with it.
    2) Warranty coverage for the DCT. There is a story somewhere here about coverage being denied for some specious reason like "electrical problems are not covered". Get it in clear English.
    3) Problems with the complex retractable hardtop.

12. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    2019 570S with Track Pack. Zero regrets. It outperforms the Ferrari in every way. The carbon monocell2 is unmatched in handling, rigidity, and safety.

The only Ferrari I'd consider buying at then moment is a 2015 (last year) 458 Italia. Other than that, no interest and that would be based on the exhaust note alone.

13. ec21kb

ec21kb Rookie

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Biggsy

Thanks for checking that! Wrt to 2. That's even with the power warranty direct from ferrari? The car needs its service doing before they will put power warranty on it - so that's 6k on top of purchase price and was hoping would be no sleepless nights given that initial outlay.

Also has about 3k worth of work needing from the get go (worn leather seat, leather pulled away on dash, worn buttons and cracked splitter etc)...

Perhaps not looking like such a bargain after all.

14. ec21kb

ec21kb Rookie

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Biggsy

V nice! I was also looking at a 2016 650s around the 130 mark... they do look like phenomenal cars.

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    There's a couple of 570/650 Macs I've seen while driving the Cali around DFW. One red, another all black. Sweet looking ride...T

Fireman1291 likes this.
  16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Stay away from the 650S. It is by no means a phenomenal car. It is terribly numb and "dead" feeling, and the engine has a truly terrible turbo lag. If want that kind of experience for a reasonable price, get a 488. It is a million times better, faster, and much more fun and engaging. The 650S is I think, one of the worst mid engined sports cars developed in the last 20 years. Don't do it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    What do you mean by "1we spiders".

18. ec21kb

ec21kb Rookie

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Biggsy
    Sorry typo... 12c. Seen them going around the 90 mark

19. acmw

acmw Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2006
    Nj
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Any links? I cant find any that low.. Id assume coupes would be lower and the lowest I have seen is 105k

20. ec21kb

ec21kb Rookie

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Biggsy
  21. jblakesmith_gt

jblakesmith_gt Karting

Jan 12, 2020
    Stock exhaust? Vacuum lines pulled? Sounds great. Sorry if vid states but didn't have time to watch in entirety. I assume cali t won't sound as good due to tt vs na of cali? Congrats on new ride as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

22. ec21kb

ec21kb Rookie

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Biggsy
    #24 ec21kb, Apr 19, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    20k worth of issues identified in the PPI (oil leaks, support failures and a bunch of cosmetic issues also) on this vehicle and the dealer didn't move a dollar on the asking price or offer to rectify any issues (not that they have to)....

PPI worth its money in this case, I just hope some poor soul doesnt end up getting sucked in to this money pit without checking it thoroughly.

23. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The lowest price Ferrari is almost never the best Ferrari IMHO. Spend the 20K up front and you could be driving a 2013 Cali 30 with half the miles, or the 2015 Cali T with 30 K miles CPO, 2 years free maintenance and warranty at Boardwalk. Just a quick search at www.Ferrariapproved.com (no affiliation) Good Luck!

ec21kb likes this.