Traffic Lawyer | FerrariChat

Traffic Lawyer

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by boobernackle, Apr 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Hello FChatters, the son of a friend was driving through SW Virginia (Marion, VA) and got a speeding ticket. Any recommendations for a reputable traffic lawyer will be truly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Speeding ticket, VA! Scam that’s been happening for years, have to appear in person, with a lawyer and it is only way it’s cost effective to hire a local lawyer to pay the fine you would have paid anyway.

3. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    I agree with the VA scam.... I got hit with 84/70 ticket. Received several attorney letters. Selected one on the lower end of price scale. Had to pay fine plus attend a local in my state DDC and submit all that to a VA monitoring firm. The ticket happened last March and will be dropped pending no violations by proof of my local driving record this coming May. If I had received anymore tickets the original would be processed and the 84/70 carries a felony offense on your permanent record. If I play it safe with a clean record my state and insurance company will never know as it would be dropped by VA........ Just saying.....

4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    In Virginia, over 80 mph is deemed reckless driving and kicks the seriousness of the charge up a notch.

5. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Ask user "FOU" here on the board, he is a lawyer/criminal down in Richmond and is very well connected.
    Ultimately, a lawyer in the county where the charge occurred is your best bet. He will have a relationship with Commonwealth Attorney and know how to navigate that negotiation.
    Good luck, they usually reduce for first offense.

NbyNW, boobernackle and Gh21631 like this.
  6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    VA is not a good state for car people, everything from the laws to the taxes are egregious.

7. fedcoin

fedcoin Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 11, 2017
    "One of the last places you'd expect a conflict is in a cemetary….."

8. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    I had personal experience with this same scenerio in Finsland, VA of Botetourt County. I was heading down to VTech to pick up my daughter for Christmas vacation and everyone was speeding but I was the lucky chosen one to get pulled over probably because of our Jersey plates. I was clocked at 90 on a downhill where the bottom of the hill speed limit went to 60 from the top of the hill where it was 70 mph. Total trap!

Anyway, I got a reference from fellow FChatters to use Andy Geloo http://www.misdemeanorandtraffic.com/

FYI for your friend, She was very responsive and great, but not cheap. Although majority of her work is in Northern Va she did take my case and reviewed everything. In my case, she recc I do a reckless driving course, have the speedo calibrated, and get my NJ drivers record which was clean. In the end she got it down to a improper driving with zero points so I was happy but it was a pain for a few months.

boobernackle and E60 M5 like this.
  9. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    VA LOL! Read the article by a guy from Jalopnik who did three days in jail for speeding above 80...

10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

Don't worry they screw their own as well.

LARRYH likes this.
  11. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    #11 boobernackle, Apr 20, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    Thank you all for the guidance, will try to contact forum member FOU and see who he recommends for that area. The method of getting a class, checking speedometer, and driving record seems to be the standard based on what I gather.

Edit:
    Just sent a PM to forum member FOU.

NbyNW and E60 M5 like this.
  12. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    that will only work if he said nothing or said he knew he was only going XX speed.. because if he said he did not know how fast he was going speedo check will not work...they have gotten pretty tough on that .. used to be a speedo calibration with a receipt that you fixed the speedo would solve it but good luck

boobernackle likes this.
  13. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    In VA I always set the cruise control at 79. One of the worst states in the union.