Header wrap advice | FerrariChat

Header wrap advice

Discussion in '360/430' started by PPW, Apr 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PPW

PPW Karting

Oct 4, 2019
    I ordered headers for my 430 spider and have decided to wrap them with dei titanium wrap after reading several positive reviews, over ceramic coating (doesn’t appear to do much) or blankets (big $). My question is what size wrap (1”, 2”, or ?) and length of roll do I need to wrap the headers? Also, should I wrap the factory cats and if so, what size should I get?

Sorry if this has been posted but searched and couldn’t find anyone posting these details.

Thank you!

2. PPW

PPW Karting

Oct 4, 2019
    Also, what o2 extenders does everyone recommend?

3. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I used two rolls of 2" to wrap the headers. Big daddy extenders. If you do wrap them the problem you will have is glass fibers all over the back of the car. It's a bit of a pain if your car is dark colored.

4. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    I have had bad experiences with Header Wraps.

Blankets, I would be ok with, but the Wraps, I notice that, it ends up rusting the pipes quite severely. And if you ever have to remove them, well good luck.

I just sent mine out to be Ceramic Coated, which is definitely the best option of the 3 IMO.

5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I cant recommend those "titanium wraps" as they will fail in a short time.
    Mine failed after less than a year.
    It started to deteriorate and fell apart. Took me almost 5 hours to clean everything up inside the engine bay.
    That was a waste of time and money. I was pissed. Image Unavailable, Please Login

That stuff is also nasty and can get inside your lungs.
    And it will rust your headers.

I learned from that mistake.
    The best header blankets are Capristo. They are expensive but worth every penny.
    Contact Mike Craig of Yellow Compass. board sponsor, or James of Vivid Racing for great deal on Capristo or FabSpeed header blankets.
    I went with Capristo and Im 1,000% happy.

See photos of "titanium wrap" on my agency power headers after 10 months.
    Photos of Capristo blankets. The best.

Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 2735461

Attached Files:

f355spider likes this.
  6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    By the way, I don't know how that yellow 488 photo got included on my post above. Sorry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    do capristo headers really need blankets - i have never quite understood this for street driving.

8. becausephilchow

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    I dont think any of the headers "Need" Blankets per say. It's just an extra precautionary thing to have, to protector wires/cables and what-not.

I haven't had any blankets on my 360 with my IPE Headers for the past 2-Years? Never had an issue with heat or anything at all in there. Just that while my Engine is out, and getting a bunch of stuff done, I figured i'd get them Ceramic Coated now.

Keith Ngulube likes this.
  9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The oem ferrari manifolds have a double skin with insulation between them. The Capristo exhaust is just a set of bare pipes , these glow cherry red so you need the blankets to stop the radiated heat destroying the engine bay.

Keith Ngulube and whatheheck like this.
  10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I understand the ceramic coat only drops about 35C off the temp, so its not doing much

11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    My Capristo manifolds work fine without them,

12. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Mike is absolutely correct. The OE manifolds are double skinned so it has a built in heat shield.

After market headers are bare & if you dont wrap it with a good & long lasting heat blanket it will cook your engine parts, damage ignition coils and engine wiring due to intense heat emitted by the bare headers. Ask me how I know.....................

We're sharing this info so that no one finds out the hard way.

Dan

13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    for a few grand ill take the risk and repair stuff if need be. for the 500 miles a year i drive my 430 not worth it

Keith Ngulube and 9650max like this.
  14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I believe the hand brake is the first thing to get cooked, mind you the fuel tank is only inches away.

15. becausephilchow

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Much more than 35C after the coating...

https://www.cerakotehightemp.de/media/pdf/1/CerV171TurbineCoat.pdf

From 1690F (Bare) to 914F (After Cerakote)

47%. Of course this varies, but, I'd say a safe estimate is somewhere in the neighborhood of 35% decrease in temperature.

Zircotec, which is used in Motorsport applications, cites a 35% decrease in surface temperatures too.

psych0hans likes this.
  16. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My Fabspeeds were installed 8 years and 19K miles ago by previous owner...no issues so far. I'm still inclined to use some sort of thermal protection however as I (eventually--Covid depending) plan on tracking the car. Plus the ambient temps here is NoVA are a bit higher than Seattle.

Anyone try installing a blanket on the headers while they're in the car? If not possible, and I have to remove them anyway, I'd probably opt for ceramic coating. I know the blankets are about $1000, how much to ceramic coat?

Has anyone had success with the wraps? That's a FAR cheaper solution to provide some (albeit minimal) protection. Given how long the car's gone without anything, that may be all I need.

17. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I read an article last year and they were quoting that figure. You sure would not put your hand on it either way. Do people still use degree F ?

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Idk. Asked both of my independents and both gave me passive shoulder shrugges for how i use the car.

19. FLY360

FLY360 Rookie

Aug 4, 2015
    FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Orndoff

20. becausephilchow

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    I'll report back, with some "Hand Feel Temperatures" afterwards I get mine coated. I didn't really do purely for the temperature, it's just I had everything apart, and I needed to address my Valve Covers anyways, so...figured I'm this deep already, might as well get the whole exhaust coated.

I really wouldn't recommend the Wraps. Ceramic Coating...depends, but my whole exhaust, Headers, HFC, Catback (Warning: You really don't need to do the Catback, but I'm just a bit OCD, and it's either all or nothing for me), was under $1000 USD. But, that really depends on your local shops and what-not.

21. becausephilchow

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
  22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Hey moron. Wake up and figure out what you actually own.
    Sorry all, looks like i have blankets.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Eric C and kes7u like this.
  23. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    There is a idiot youtuber that coated his fabspeed recently and paid the price by setting his engine bay on fire.
    I'm not going to include his youtube page because I don't like to spread stupidity. Blankets are the best option.

f355spider, whatheheck and cpep like this.
  24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yeh just watched that and so i went to dig out my files lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    He went cheap and paid the price. LOL ...also, a reputable company that provides header coating is costly as well and is effective but from my experience only for a short time.

whatheheck likes this.