Tom Vail, All Ferrari Parts, I don't get it. | FerrariChat

Tom Vail, All Ferrari Parts, I don't get it.

Discussion in '348/355' started by johnk..., Apr 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I've done business with Tom Vail several times, a carry over from when Dennis McCain (?) owned it. Dennis was always very good and very competitive. But it seems it's never what it appears. Several years ago I ordered an oil filter for the 355 from Vail. His advertised price was, at the time, below other sources. But when I got the PayPal invoice it was a bit higher. I bought it anyway as it wasn't that much, but brought it to their attention. Got no response. Summer before last I needed the actuator for the HVAC dash vent. I looked everywhere and it was NLA. As a last resort I checked Tom Vail. I was surprised that they had it and it was actually priced less than the going priced other indicated, if they could get it. I was happy. Today I inquired about a couple of minor parts, advertised at $9.99 each. I needed two. When the invoice cam through the price had doubled. The excuse was that they had get it from another vendor, but adjustment on price. I told them sorry, no thanks. I'm done playing games with that outfit.

2. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Un friggin believable
    So do they just double the price and expect you to pay it, or do they email you and say price has changed, what is their deal??

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I like theprevious owner and bought from him regularly. When he retire and prices increased while service decreased I stopped shopping there.

ILLA NOIZ likes this.
  4. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Just buy your parts from UK vendors. Most USA Ferrari part re-sellers get their stuff from the UK anyways and then mark them up to build their profit - which you end up subsidizing. From Scuderia Car Parts to Superformance and many more in between, they have all you need - not to mention many parts that USA re-sellers mark as being NLA.

Call them before you place the order and select your shipping option. You'll be surprised how inexpensive shipping can be if you are willing to wait a few more days. Because, really, we have become accustomed to living in a just-in-time culture but how urgent is your order once your next-day anxiety is removed?

ILLA NOIZ, Beetle, Fmuto42 and 2 others like this.
  5. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Seconded. 90% of the parts I buy come from the UK as well.

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

I mostly do as well, but for $20.00 with of parts shipping from the UK becomes the make it or break it issue.

7. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Interestingly, many of the USA vendors buy components from Bill Young at GTC Parts. GTC will usually beat anyone's advertised price and will not post prices online. Best to speak with Bill directly over the phone.

I had considered purchasing All Ferrari Parts in 2012 but soon realized there was too much blue sky and not enough parts to be competitive.

8. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I have a contact at my local Ferrari parts department and get parts at nearly cost...but even then after shipping it's usually 10% or more cheaper from the UK. That said, they're usually able to get it faster with their regular shipments so sometimes I'll just order locally.

ShineKen likes this.
  9. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Funny you should start this thread. Last week I was looking for a part for my 348. It was $171 on Tom Vail's site, and $295 minimum everywhere else. I emailed him to ask if he had it in stock, and to my surprise he emailed back saying the part is actually $249.99. I mentioned the website price, and his answer was that is an old price. I then asked if he could give a discount since the web is misleading and was advertised at a lower price, and his response was "the $249.99 is discounted".

So, Ricambi was my choice for the part. Ricambi has always been my only choice, however $125 difference US is about $180 difference Canadian (which is where I live) so naturally I tried to save $180.

I will never do business with companies that do this. Reel you in at a false price, then gas you when they have you at their mercy. I was actually going to send Tom an email telling him it isn't good business practice to do that, but I didn't.

sherrillt, Beetle and Qavion like this.
  10. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    I just order in the UK have it sent to my cousin in Surrey. He repacks and sends to me no hassles. And heaps cheaper. Russ at Ferrparts still does as best as he can. Great guy.

11. Laserman

Laserman Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Minneapolis, MN
    I don't understand why GT Car Parts is listed for a F355 part source since they don'y list any F355 parts on their site? Do you have to call them for information?

12. tatry68

tatry68 Karting

Oct 27, 2013
    Chicago Suburbs
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Yes. Call them and rattle off what you need and they will call back with prices. It's just a different way of doing business I guess. I bought from them before and I was happy with the service and the parts. The prices are reasonable too, but mind u, this was 5 years ago. I will buy from them again

13. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  14. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    albert328gts likes this.
  15. F1Flaherty

F1Flaherty Rookie

Jun 13, 2021
    Edwards CA
    Full Name:
    Ryan Flaherty
    I just had a similar experience. Sent AFP a request for p.n. 144232 Pump Gasket, listed as ~$21 on their site. Upon receipt of their price quote, alakazam, it was now ~$150. I had luckily already found the DiFatta brothers on ebay who make decent quality ones of their own, so I respectfully requested that the part be taken off the list. I did end up getting some rubber boots and o-rings through them. All in all, it seems like a shady situation. Do not run a site that sells a product and then fail to maintain a current price list. In their defense, the rest of my experience with them was pleasant, so I guess If I am in a bind I would probably use them again, but will definitely be looking into some of the other UK web stores as mentioned above.

16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I buy from Tom Vail frequently but only items they list on Ebay. Great deals there.
    Outside that it is best to call Daniel at Ricambi or Ron at TRutlands.

ShineKen likes this.
  17. F1Flaherty

F1Flaherty Rookie

Jun 13, 2021
    Edwards CA
    Full Name:
    Ryan Flaherty
    Good tip on the EBay items, I will have to check that out.

18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Well since I started this thread I figure I'd update my experience. Recent experience say he often has parts no one else has in stock or claim as NLA, and in my case, priced below what other Ferrari parts sources were asking for a part they didn't have. So, I glad to have Tom around.

ShineKen and Qavion like this.
  19. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    In my last few dealings with Tom Vail's All Ferrari Parts, both using their web site store and eBay store, items I've placed orders for and paid for have not been available.
    They have refunded the purchase price, although dealing with this company has proven to be a waste of time and energy. Dealing with them over the telephone to correct problems has turned out to be an unpleasant experience, as they are generally rude and arrogant. They blame eBay for most of the problems, but in reality they don't manage their own site well.

Yassa likes this.
  20. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I don't buy anymore from that guy, he got insane prices so i placed a bid for a part that seemed a reasonable bid, he seems arrogant so he declined the bid and instead doubled the price on his Ebay ad................what a joke.

Mike Morrissey, Qavion and Yassa like this.
  21. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    My experience has been the opposite of what’s been discussed here. I’ve done two orders with them this year via phone and the experience has been great. Both times they had parts I couldn’t get elsewhere in the US and I received them promptly and was thanked for my business.

Modena-fer and ShineKen like this.
  22. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    So far, so good :)

Called All Ferrari Parts yesterday for the first time. I had read through this thread, so I was mentally prepared for the worst, but figured what the heck.

Saw they had 355 challenge drop links on Ebay, but 1 front and 2 rears. About $375 each. Lower than Eurospares’ price of $450 each. Decided to call to see if they had 2 front and rears just in case.

Spoke to David. First thing he said… “What are the part numbers?” As in… get to the point, dont waste my time with an elaborate story kinda vibe. I didn’t have the part numbers. Said I’ll call in a few min more prepared. Called him again. They have what I need in stock. 2 front 2 rears. Price?? I didn’t ask him for a discount, but he gave me way lower than advertised. $1175 shipped. Really shouldve been around $1500 shipped. Said I’ll take it!!

Told him I was a 355 fanatic and have 2 of them and constantly looking for challenge parts. He opened up a bit more and said he likes talking to customers on the phone and being straight up with prices and availability. He said email can be overwhelming. I told him, once I get the drop links I’ll be calling him with a list of goods I want to buy so he can check everything on the spot. I received tracking for the goods yesterday, so just hoping there are no issues there.

I’ve learned long ago…if someone is gonna do something for you or do you some favor, he’s gotta be in that mood. The moment you try to be ****** or sound irritated and try to get what you want that way, the more you’re gonna be met with resistance. Especially, when you’re dealing with a small business. I try to keep things smooth and pleasant for both parties.

23. Matthew 6:19

Matthew 6:19 Karting

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I know this is an old thread, but.... I live an hour from Tom Vail's. I went up there yesterday to pick up some parts that they miraculously found. Gas tanks for my 1983 Mondial QV. They don't exist anymore. Anywhere. Yet, they found them. David was very helpful, and Tom was kind enough to show me around his collection he has at the shop. Some amazing vintage Ferraris. The tanks were more than I wanted, but hey.... I bought the dang car, so LOL.

24. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I’ve been using them recently and find them helpful and easy to deal with too.