Alfa Romeo 4c who has one? | Page 29 | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo 4c who has one?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by ferrari#7, Jul 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Very good feedback! Thanks!

I am looking at 4c's again and was wondering if a change of geometry could make the car a bit better over less than smooth roads.

2. Pete-

Pete- Rookie

Apr 14, 2020
    Like a totally different car. If you drive casually there are two things that might bother you: the restlessness on uneven roads and the droning. For the first you can adjust the toe to neutral or even toe in (like +0º04' per wheel) and switch away from the Pirellis. After that the car is quite stable on regular or even bad roads without any stress. The toe out caused mine to wobble around and the steering wheel moved by itself after every bump which is normal with that setup and without a power assisted steering. After adjustments I've had zero problems. As for the droning, some are fine with the regular sport exhaust but the booming is so bad that I had to switch.

The 4C is a really really fun car once you figure it out and they probably won't depreciate either. I've followed the prices in Europe: they have been the same for the last few years and seem to be going up.

3. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I'm actively searching for a red spider now. There are some new ones available which I'm waiting to see if prices will drop as there's no way I'm paying 80k for one. Might consider other colors but red just gets my blood going, I mean it is an Alfa after all.

4. Pete-

Pete- Rookie

Apr 14, 2020
    I got an alfa rosso spider and it looks amazing but I really recommed the ppf on the front and the CF-looking non-prominent mudflaps from InoKinetic. The rosso competizione looks better to me but the repainting is almost impossible. It's not easy to figure out the angle they originally painted the panels and if the repaint is done differently you have a mismatched paintwork which is very visible. The competizione has an extra layer of protective coating so it is a bit better against rock chips but we all know the soft Italian paint...

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I had the entire car covered in PPF for about $4k, added the carbon fiber mudflaps, and changed the suspension blocks to the Alfa9 road version. Not likely to change the rear arms as the handling now seems really good to me. Also threw away the Pirelli tires (they are horrible!) and switched to slightly wider Firehawk Indy 500 (215/40-18 fronts and 255/35-19 rear). I have been running these tires on my S2000 for years, and love the way they handle and are predictable at the limit.

6. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I had a Rosso Corsa Launch Edition and was surprised how thin the paint was. Mine had PPF from the previous owner but still had some chips underneath from before I guess.

7. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    The car is fantastic.

On the changes to the suspension/suspension blocks for others I would be a little careful in the sense that my understanding is that only some model years need that change. For example the early coupes seem to be the cars with the most issues there. The Spiders and later cars don't seem to have those same issues (or at least not as often). Of course getting the geometry checked surely could not hurt!

8. Pete-

Pete- Rookie

Apr 14, 2020
    If I remember right the newer models have a bit different toe setting and that's about it - the differences aren't huge compared to the newer post launch edition models. Nothing is wrong with the car but it is built for a test circuit in Italy not for our bad roads. I track mine and push the car so I've learned the few quirks it has and how to fix them. Alfa should've built the car with more caster and camber to begin with and without those rubber bushes in the rear but with some fixes the car outperforms many excellent race cars that are expensive. The easiest thing anyone can do is to change the toe to neutral and it is a quick and cheap thing to do.

9. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    The suspension design did not change through the model years, but the alignments from the factory did. Still pretty twitchy and with the factory tires I did not like it. Once the suspension blocks were installed, the car tracked much better over rough pavement, and then with the new alignment and tires it is excellent. I went with .02 toe in up front, and .08 toe in rear. Caster and camber are only adjustable with shims or the replacement blocks which reorient the uprights.

10. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    What year is your car?

I have a 2016 spider (w/track package) and was all ready to have Jamie's blocks installed--but when I took delivery of the car the steering was fine. Not that the alignment or setup can not be improved but the car was definitely not twitchy.

11. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Mine is a 2016 (built February or March of 2016). It was not terrible, but is way more stable with the road blocks and an alignment that gets rid of the toe out. Better tires are also a huge improvement.

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Damnit -- blew a check engine light P0481 that seems to be the fan control. Got to get it checked out which means visiting the Santa Monica dealer. UGH.

Well at least it was time for an oil change.... I hope they don't keep it 2 months like last time.

13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Sorry if this has been asked in this long thread but what do you guys think of a 4c vs 355 as a twisty road kinda car?
    I like their power, 355 of course older and more visceral but what about the 4c?
    Does one own both or has driven both to compare?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I've owned both. The 4C is just as much fun. It's actually more fun in my book because I drove it harder and didn't worry about it as much. It's a deceptively quick car, with a bit of tuning it would be pretty fast.

Also, I wouldn't say a 355 is more visceral. A stock 355 is pretty bland in my opinion, mine had headers, high flow cats, 2nd cat delete and a Capristo. That made the 355 exciting to me but if we're comparing stock vs stock, the 4C is more visceral. The 355 the way I had it set up sounds way better than a turbo 4 cylinder but besides the exhaust note, the 4C is a winner in most ways for me. The looks are subjective but I think they're both beautiful.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  15. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    I currently own both, a 4C spider (rosso competizione) and a 355 berlinetta (argento). You've asked a tough question. It's like asking which hot swimsuit model do you like?

They're both great but very different cars to drive. Ultimately, handling on twisty roads will depend on tire choices, suspension setups, and driver skill. The 355 has lazier steering than the 4C, so it can make you feel as though you're sawing at the wheel on a tight twisty road. Not bad, but you just have to be aware to avoid getting your hands crossed and out of position to correct. A faster rack (355 Challenge rack) would be a nice upgrade. The steering is also a bit over-boosted and disconnected (I preferred my former 348 Challenge's steering) while you feel every small pebble in the road with the 4C - the 4C's steering communicates everything.

In the 4C, steering is instantaneous, almost a bit jarring at first having come from a 355. It takes only a bit of hand movement to get the car to turn. As others have said, and often complained about on the 4C forum, it can be a bit twitchy. I believe that Alfa setup the car that way intentionally to have sharp turn in on tight courses (e.g. autocross, short road tracks). Once you get used to it, the responsiveness is great and as others have said, some of the twitchiness can be dialed out with wheel alignment (e.g. more toe in) and suspension upgrades.

The 4C demands your attention. I don't find it be a particularly relaxing car to drive - low speed, roof removed, sunny day, and wife in the passenger seat notwithstanding. By comparison, the 355 is a breeze to drive. In addition to the 4C and 355, I also have a 2015 GT500. Out of the 3, the 355 is the easiest to drive hands down. Slight understeer, fantastic brakes (mine has the large brake upgrade), great grip. My 18 yr old can drive the car effortlessly - I wouldn't trust him with the other two cars.

On the street and a short, tight track, the 4C is faster. It's considerably lighter than the 355, both cars make similar torque, and the 4C has a flatter torque curve. I haven't tried it but on a longer road course, I believe that the 355 would reel in the 4C down the long straights. That said, modifying the 4C for a more power is reasonably easy. I haven't modded mine, so my comments are based on a bone stock engine setup. Modifying the 355 for more power . . . well, it's challenging at best and definitely not cheap. Compared to the 4C, the 355's engine doesn't really even stop yawning and wake up until ~5000 rpm, after which it just takes off - and the sound is sublime through a Capristo or Tubi.

Not for anything and this has been a point of contention since the 4C was introduced, but IMO the car's performance is enhanced by the DCT. Yes, I'd prefer a 6 speed manual trans, but now that I've had my car for 2 years, I don't miss it. I have other cars that have manuals. Still, it takes away from some of the "driver's car" panache. But at the end of the day, the DCT helps the 4C to feel and be quicker than the 355. Despite having my decades of experience driver manuals (including my daily), I can't possibly clack through my 355's gears as quickly as the 4C shifts - not even close.

EarlyCat, slm and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  16. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Love both of your awesome responses!
    I have been offered a 355 locally with fabspeed headers, capristo exhaust but not driven one yet and this would be mostly a twisty road car hence my 4c question;)
    Very helpful thanks to both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    The 355 setup you describe will be the best sounding car EVER. I have often thought about getting a 355 again for that reason. That being said, I have had a 4C and many Ferraris. I miss the 4C. If you want a really FUN car to drive that will hold its own on the road with the big boys, the 4C is it. I haven’t missed any of the Ferraris.

18. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    I don't know if anyone else followed this BaT auction, but a rosso competizione Alfa 4C coupe sold at ~$70k with the buyer premium. Nice result for a fantastic, low mileage car - right color, right spec. The buyer knew what he wanted and wasn't about to let it go.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2018-alfa-romeo-4c-coupe/

SVCalifornia likes this.
  19. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I absolutely blame you all in this thread, especially @mayor, because I stumbled upon this thread out of boredom and went ahead and test drove a 4C spider.

And of course then I came home with it- a new MY2019, 84K MSRP with 16k off sticker. The unparalleled steering feel due to the manual steering rack is something to be reckoned with. The carbon cage definitely is a dual sided blade with its rigidity and difficulty to get out of. The fun factor definitely overshadows my Lotus Evora 400. The steering response of Lotus is lauded by many car journalist as the benchmark of handling for other sports car marquees. Simultaneously I once heard unless you own a alfa sports car, you are only half of a true car enthusiast. Now I understand.

Of course the understeering is evidenced by heavy steering at low speed. I will follow some suggestions here to adjust the alignment to eliminate it. For now, I give this car a 4 stars out of 5 in my stable of 458, FF, Lotus and history of multiple Porsche GT3 and 4.

20. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Pictures or it never happened!

IloveGT likes this.
  21. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Just came home for a quick run. The aprapovic exhaust makes this tiny 1.75L I4 engine sounds like some angry turbo v8.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  22. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Congrats. The 4C is a wonderful car and so under rated. I miss mine. Might have to pick another one up.

IloveGT likes this.
  23. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Congrats! Now I wish my car had those carbon front fender vents. I've a 2016. It wasn't an option then.

IloveGT likes this.
  24. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Right now its the only car I own until the Corvette C8 convertible shows up.

IloveGT and slm like this.
  25. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Just bought back my “old” Launch Edition. Was looking more for a spider but the owner decided he wanted to sell so I couldn’t pass it up. Open air experience will be missed but coupe looks better!

Here it is next to my girlfriend’s 500e.

Attached Files:

Camp Freddie, EarlyCat and BT like this.