High Mileage | FerrariChat

High Mileage

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by topcarbon, Apr 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    I am considering a high mileage 2016 Mclaren(25,000 miles)
    Price is very good
    All the history is there and backed up with Carfax(not full proof)
    Coming from classic cars, there are two thoughts.
    One: you can never buy down mileage and high mileage is a definite negative
    Two: a nicely used exotic with service history shows reliability.
    How much should a high mileage car be affected in value?
    Garage queen vs. high street use?
    Thanks in advance

JoeTSI likes this.
  2. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Here is my take on your question. For #1, a modern exotic, unless it is a limited edition, will not appreciate and therefore should be driven. Yes, it is high mileage for an exotic but that is nothing for a modern vehicle. If it checks out nicely as far as wear, paint, etc then I wouldn't think twice about it if the price is right (and it should be). Is it a 570?
    For #2, I agree that a higher mileage exotic is more reliable than a garage queen. Just look at some threads of the ultra low miles cars that are bought and then require thousands (sometimes tens of thousands) to make somewhat reliable. If you plan to drive it, I would jump all over it. If you pass it up, please post the car. :)

RonH likes this.
  3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Do some research on how maintenance and service is accomplished with a McLaren....

4. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    I don't want to sound like a jerk, but....are you buying the car to drive, or to just look at in your garage? Once you hit a certain mileage threshold, additional miles don't really matter because the portion of the value based on low mileage has mostly been lost, so the remaining value is mainly dependent upon the condition of the car. No reason not to drive it literally as much as possible at that point.

Low miles are a negative in my book. There are tons of cases of cars that are much more unreliable than they should be simply because they aren't driven enough. Internal seals hardly ever get lubricated, brake systems are rarely stress-tested, coolant is hardly ever circulated, etc. None of those lend themselves to reliability. Modern exotics are so capable and comfortable now that there's no reason not to daily drive them.

topcarbon likes this.
  5. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    I don't take your comment as being a jerk, just opinion.
    that is what I was looking for.
    I drive my cars, I am looking for value point.
    I am waiting on my refinance to conclude then shopping and hopefully my Mclaren will still be available.
    thank you for your comment

6. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Mileage has to be accompanied by maintenance, no matter the car. Higher mileage in modern vehicles isn't the issue it once was. However, if the owner did not maintain the car well and threw a bunch of mileage on it, that is reason to run away and fast.