Trade a Speciale in for Pista? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Trade a Speciale in for Pista?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by tickerhound, Apr 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Neither of these cars are discernible in rawness. Try a scud or CS of you want s more raw ride.

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  2. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    And for those that have both, I chose the Pista.

For every one time I drive my Speciale, I drive my Pista 20x to 30x more...

I love the Speciale and it was my first Atelier designed car and have no intentions of selling it. But it stays parked next to the Pista that gets driven.

3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    That is pretty much the point I made earlier. I would love to add a Speciale and maybe sooner than later as pricing becomes more favorable.

4. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Speciale owners will prefer the Speciale, Pista owners will prefer the Pista, 488 owners will prefer the 488, 458 owners will prefer the 458 and so on and so forth as we've all voted with our wallets.

Test drive the Pista if you can OP. The Speciale is the best car I have ever driven (not just owned), FWIW I had the pleasure of pushing a Pista for 10 laps at the Exotics Racing track in Vegas 2 months ago (not much to base an opinion off of). I wanted to experience the Pista having had a 488 GTB and now Speciale. I've also flirted with the idea of trading in my Speciale for a Pista as I see more and more for sale, but thankfully realize that is due to a wandering eye and would be a big mistake for me.

Pista does feel twice as fast, and YMMV but I really don't care about that as I already have too many brown moments in the Speciale trying to keep her straight under full throttle and not exceed the speed limits by too much. My use case is canyons and cruising the PCH, not a track. 3rd gear in this car under WOT is heaven with the rush to 9k, I can still do that sometimes on freeways and some roads. I don't know what could be added to the Speciale to make it better, I would not want the car to be any faster. It feels so alive, on its toes, and angry. So easy to slide, razor sharp with throttle application, there is something analog feeling in this car that feels missing with the introduction of turbos. There is a lot of NVH in the car even as you sit at idle at a red light, you see the passenger bucket seat shaking a little bit. I'm probably on the NA kool aid now but I feel more comfortable pushing the Speciale in CT off than I did even with the lesser 488 GTB, because of the linearity of power making it easier to predict and control a slide/drift. I'd be wary putting the pedal down with the wheel turned in a Pista beyond race mode on public roads because of that immense turbo kick/shove, I'm a sissy.

Ironically I'd say the Pista might sound better at lower RPMs as the Speciale is quiet until valves open and then she gets loud, or at least I think my 488 GTB sounded better/angrier at lower revs puttering around town. Looks wise I really like both the Pista and Speciale equally.

My only concern with value is getting my money's worth and I'm at 14xxx miles now. Eager to see that number go to 15k. But it is a cool "fun fact" that she's the last NA V8 from Maranello, highest compression & hp/liter NA engine, etc etc. Pista owners will say it's a cool fun fact Pista is likely last ICE V8 special series and last non-GPF special series etc.

Just my 2 cents. We are splitting hairs to 99% of the population but they say God is in the details and it's the tiniest of these details that really make the Speciale so uniquely compelling to me as I drive the car more and more.

It's an awesome position to be in to decide between two incredible special series V8 sisters as Nuno stated!

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    For whatever its worth, a friend of mine recently asked me to summarize my 458 Italia (which I have modified with NR springs and headers 100 cel cats, software etc) v the Pista- and I would imagine my 458 is somewhat close to the Speciale. My take is the 458 is a car where they have the balance of attributes just right for me. I feel like I am the integral part of the equation and I can get the car to do just want I want it to do and its never going to overwhelm me- if there is one overwhelming thing its the sound because I really have put in a loud exhaust. The Pista is not a truly scary car to drive, but the power reminds me a lot of the F40- the thing that sticks with you after a drive is the power. I feel as if I am the glue holding it all together, and without me, it would fly apart! The lag is not like the F40- there is no lag in the Pista- none! There is lag with the F40- a ton. But its the experience- both very similar- its not about a searing soundtrack, or winding out the last few RPM as you hit 9000. I have never seen a tach needle move so fast as in the Pista. It is crazy! Which is why I think of my Pista as "son of F40" - its really like that! Yet, the chassis is absolutely up to the task, so I am not saying its all engine. But, what really lingers in my mind after a romp through the backroads is the overwhelming power. It is insanely powerful and fast and its the ludicrous and laughable power that is the real hallmark of the driving experience.

So- they are two very different experiences. For which I am very grateful. I enjoy both tremendously. I plan to keep both cars for a very long time, perhaps for ever, because I find both so captivating.

In terms of market- its impossible to predict the future- but with that said- Speciale is "last of the NA V8" and thats a big deal for those for whom that is important. But, as the Pista builds revs, you do get some more tone in the sound, though, by comparison it sounds a bit more industrial to my ears. However, the power and torque jumps are just too much to ignore. The Pista makes the 458 feel truly slow by comparison. And the car feels so much more planted- as it needs to be with the massive power. It also seems* that it will be the last of a certain kind of Ferrari: relatively lightweight, powerful, RWD, no hybrid assistance. That could make for some interesting car guy (or gal!) talk between these models: Last NA V8 vs Last of a whole concept. *= what if they make an F8 special model? I kind of doubt it, but you never know. In terms of numbers made, I suspect there will be similar number of total Pista and Pista Spider to Speciale and Speciale A- though the breakdown of the cars might be a little bit different. When Speciale was coming out in the market, they seemed like they were everywhere. I don't think they will make so many more (or less) Pista.

No one wants to lose money on a car, so I get that, but my opinion is don't buy a car as a financial investment- buy it as an investment in your happiness.

6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I say the OP gets a 2005 Ford GT and be done with it. Now that is an engaging car and talk about scary. Also they will hold value incredibly well if you buy it right.

Thecadster and dustman like this.
  7. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    For me, owning Pista felt like a 650s...fast but boring. Have not sent my deposit in for 7565lt, I don’t see the point for what I like.
    I’m more of a 918, Lambo, 458 fan I guess.

Thecadster and Caeruleus11 like this.
  8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    take a ride with me in my Pista and we will see how boring it is. :)

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Meh. Been there. Speed ain’t all that for me.

10. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    When it comes to these cars (Italia, Speciale, Pista, etc) it's better to go "and" than "or" as each has something special to offer. :)

11. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Sam and Jerry,

Excellent comments you’ve made. Extremely eloquent and spot on. Thank you both for taking the time to share your thoughts in detail. I know it takes time and effort.

I highlighted those two excerpts of your posts, because that’s precisely why I asked the OP what he was looking to get from a Pista.

No one can predict the future, but a Speciale has more appreciation potential, at least in theory. If money is all that matters, the Speciale is a no brainer, namely an Aperta.

But if the OP is only interested in driving like he stole it, track it, etc, your posts just made me remember that the gap on paper from a Speciale (605hp) to a Pista (720hp) is actually bigger than the one from the 458 (570hp) to the 488 (670hp). And I won’t even address torque.

I’ve often said I can’t appreciate the 488 on public roads. But the Pista is another matter entirely. It’s the car that realizes all the 488 GTB’s potential and channels it to be used in the right place: a racetrack. If driving is all that matters, namely if you track your cars on occasion, the Pista is a no brainer.

But it’s such a personal choice! I for instance don’t like Ferraris in red, prefer the Italia to a Speciale, prefer the Spider to the GTB and my favorite Pista spec is black with golden stripes and rims, so go figure! Take my words with a pinch of salt.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

tickerhound, Caeruleus11 and Gh21631 like this.
  12. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #62 PTG1, Apr 13, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    Still looks good, maybe not as good as before but, things are moving on and certainly better then any electric powered car

13. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    You guys have this all wrong! Sell both the Speciale and the Pista and get a Mondial!

LVP488 and Gh21631 like this.
  14. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    I just want a f40 for my 40th bday, I’m not asking for much.

15. I think you should get a Mclaren. :D

16. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    No way! Although... come to think of it, the Mondial does allow for two more blondes or brunettes because it has back seats, so... Perhaps I will! :D

Kind regards,

Nuno.

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Nuno buddy, unless you find amputees for midgets, you won't get much brunette or blonde into the back of the Mondial. And while we're at it, why are you discriminating redheads?:D

Anyhow, if I may be allowed a suggestion I think is much more fulfilling, because you got this all wrong. Get a Phantom extended wheelbase with a divider for the driver compartment. Get a driver, so that you can focus on important task at hand. Then drive the two seater when you need a break...

aptdr and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  18. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Right now is the time to buy one of those.. I have been looking at the 675LT, the prices are weak in the knees.

Avia11, Caeruleus11 and dustman like this.
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    In the US,I'm quite sure they will be a lot weaker in about 2-3 months once the recession/depression hits full blast.

Thecadster likes this.
  20. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Where are the prices on the 675 LT right now?

21. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hey bud, I am specifically looking at 675LT Spiders and in Canada they are still 375-399 but I am offering $60k off (nobody has bitten yet) in this market and the US they are lower and there is a few more cars. I would do a nice spec US car for $300kCAD landed (duties etc. shipping) then if it was a non-carbon wing one I would do it for $280k landed... again its a big hit for someone to take but I can see it getting there, there will be a supply backlog on some cars/brands.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  22. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Considered it but I'm partial to the Ferrari styling.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  23. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Interesting option, love the Gulf livery version.

Thecadster and Gh21631 like this.
  24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Ive been looking myself and there are some nice ones available.

Thecadster likes this.
  25. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    There was one that got sold for $320kCAD whole sale here just the other day. I was offered but I passed..