running wires to rear of the car (rear camera) | FerrariChat

running wires to rear of the car (rear camera)

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by bellwilliam, Apr 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    #1 bellwilliam, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    would like to run wire to back of the car (02 575m) to install a rear camera, any link showing where to feed the wire through ? to the trunk.

currently have wireless rear camera, dislike it.

thanks

2. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I can't help you with running the wires. I was considering going with a wireless camera, what camera do you have and what don't you like about it?
    Thanks

3. bellwilliam

Oct 25, 2014
    bought the Costco one... the resolution isn't quite there.

bought a dash cam with 2nd camera output (and can default to 2nd camera), looking at 575 interior, don't look too difficult to run the wire. But I am stuck on the rear bulkhead (just behind the seat, not sure how to run wire under it), hoping someone has done some interior work and have pictures.

575 hides interior screws well, unlike my F355, super obvious where all the screws and bolts are.

4. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    look at the parts manual and service manual. You can run wires up the passenger side by the speaker area to the rear. You need to take several parts off to do it,

bellwilliam likes this.
  5. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    I did that. Didn’t want to run wires too so I got a wireless backup camera. Although I have since had some mic cables ran to the headliner. I suggest going wireless just for simplicity.

This is what I got.

AUTO-VOX M1W Wireless Backup... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07425TPBT?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I’m sure there’s a newer one by now but this works great for me.

bellwilliam likes this.
  6. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    There’s actually an identical space on the driver’s side for feeding wires too.

I’m wiring a second battery in my trunk, and I was able to fit 0/1 ga. down the passenger side, along with braided optical cable, 3.5mm for bumper microphone, and USB for the DSP. There are 2 CL2 wires on the driver’s side for speakers, along with the old CD changer wires. Somewhat easy access to both sides in the rear, with maybe pulling back a little carpet on the passenger’s side. To continue inside the cabin, remove parcel shelf, remove the leather trim bar behind the seats/front of the parcel shelf, then the inside B-pillar leather trim piece needs to be removed, and I believe there are 3 screws holding each of the seat belt trim structures in place. These screws are exposed by removing the parcel shelf and B-pillar trim. Unscrew those and the trim piece will safely bend out enough to allow a hand to feed/pull wires. Repeat for the other side if necessary; they are symmetrical in operation.

Mine are currently disassembled if anyone wants a picture.

The felt door seals can be pulled off of the door opening seams very easily, and they provide access to under the carpet/insulation. You’ll see where the body harness routes here, just stack your wire on top of these and then cover it up. Kickpanels come out, and fold floor mat back to get to the fuse box cover screws. Unscrew these, and then there is a lot of room to run wires to the center. It’s also possible to run wires down the center tunnel to the dash by doing everything in this paragraph, plus remove the seat, and bend up the carpet.

Good luck!

bellwilliam and F456M like this.
  7. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I have done the same. Added a second battery in the trunk. It is quite a bit of work, but not at all impossible. I like the idea of a rear camera. What kind of screen do you have?

bellwilliam likes this.
  8. bellwilliam

Oct 25, 2014
    may I ask what's the reason for adding a 2nd battery? and how are they wired to the main battery. parallel for more amperage ? or is it a separate battery to power something else ?

F456M likes this.
  9. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    I believe Erik has his for redundancy in case one fails. I have a power-hungry stereo that I want to isolate from the car to regulate voltage levels and power cleanliness in each system.

10. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #10 F456M, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    Hi BellWilliam.

That extra battery in the trunk is really good to have when let’s say the car have been sitting for a month or two here in France and I fly down from Norway and need the car to travel during work. Previously the car was in a location where there were no power outlets to plug in a charger. To start a journey with a dead/weak battery is like begging for problems. And I never leave the car without having the alarm on and windows fully closed inside the rubber seals. So if the front battery is flat or weak, I just flip the parallell switch and the car starts right up. I have a second smaller parallell switch under the rear pumper so I can also parallell the batteries from the outside so the windows go down when I open the doors. Before this extra battery, I had to force the window out of the seal as the battery was not able to take the window down that half inch. Also, when on a long travel through a continent or even smaller country trips aswell, you have no clue where to get help if you get problems with the car. To stand alongside the road can in some places be extremely dangerous when trucks of 40 tonnes are passing at 60 mph. etc. It is quite normal to have a busy schedule when on a vacation or a business trip and the car must start right up when you need it. So I am thinking what can go wrong..? Alternator failure is catasteophic as the car needs so much power to run itself especially when those fans run so much. To have more Ah is great. It can run much longer distances with another battery. Another thing is that the front battery becomes unbelievably hot while in stop and go traffic because the engine compartment air is up to 200 deg F (yes I have measured it) so the battery is about the same temp after a while. So it is good to have a cold battery for boosting amps for a better start and not give a weak start current. The other function is when the parallell switch inside the car is off, my «extra equipment» will run from that rear battery so that the car stil can start fine on the front battery if the rear is becoming flat. I want to add a fan that blows outside air into the car so when the windows are slightly open, the hot cabin air can come out. A car parked in direct sun for houres at real summer temps can reach very high temps which is not good for leather and plastic. I also have a dog with me quite a lot. And to be able to park the car for a few minutes and add a solid stream of fresh outside air is good! I also want to add an electric custom fitted cooler behind the passenger seat. To have cold water or soda is quite important when getting real thirsty after being on the move or when stuck in a real traffic jam or when ypu go into a meeting or something. Hot water or soda is terrible, so it must stay on alot and keep the drinks cold!

niftyfivefifty and bellwilliam like this.
  11. bellwilliam

Oct 25, 2014
    F456M: thanks. running a 2nd battery is also an endurance racing trick. We use the heavy battery as ballast, and use it in for heavy electrical load for night running with x8 lights. One time we also had an alternator failure, so we would swap one battery out at every other pit stop. changing alternator would take too long, while battery (in passenger compartment) takes as much time as a driver change.

never knew people do this for street driving !!

F456M and niftyfivefifty like this.
  12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Early 911s had two batteries in the nose. Ran fine on one if one died or you could not find two replacements immediately.

13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I am not worried about weight. Can’t feel any difference while driving. When you drive through Europe north to south and back, the timing is very bad for having problems. It becomes a bog problem if the parts needed are not availible or takes a long time to order and install. I feel the extra amps makes the power supply more stable and you have much better chances to drive to a workshop rather than sitting alongside the road with a dead car. It have happened to me in other cars, but not (yet) in the Ferrari. But that time will come one day. But I think it is a bit too paranoid to replace the alternator when it is indeed working. But it is 21 years old so it could well be worth the money. 1000 dollar or euro is being spent very quickly if two persons need to leave the car and fly home and back or rent another car. + the cost of replacing it.