Mondial T Valeo advice | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mondial T Valeo advice

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MMT, Apr 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dapower75

dapower75 Rookie

May 27, 2018
    France
    Full Name:
    Philippe
    Hello !
    It is a Mondial T coupe, vin 96428.

2. Steveczech

Steveczech Rookie

Apr 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steven Czech
    Greetings. I have a 1992 Ferrari Mondial T manual (no clutch pedal) with a clutch light on. When running the car will not go into gear (only when it's off). Where can I find some technical data on this issue? The cars VIN number is ZFFRK33A2P0095843.

3. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    You will need an SD1 computer to connect to the Valeo ECU to read the parameters / errors.

The first, and easiest thing to check are the 30amp fuse and relay next to the Valeo ECU. Sometimes it's as simple as a blown fuse...

My personal car needed the ECU rebuilt.

4. Steveczech

Steveczech Rookie

Apr 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steven Czech
    Thank you for the advice. Checked the fuse and its good. Will replace the relay next. Is there any information out there regarding the schematics for this car? Have several issues I know that need to be addressed. Additionally, do you know of any information regarding the fuel system such as pumps and how this system works. This is my second Ferrari and my first older one. i THANK YOU.

5. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    I have the Valeo schematic. It’s a large PDF file. What’s your email?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Steveczech

Steveczech Rookie

Apr 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steven Czech
    My email is [email protected] . I thank you in advance for this information. This has been a difficult process.

7. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    You should have it. Let me know if you recieved it and good luck!

If you need any parts, let me know.

Wade likes this.
  8. Steveczech

Steveczech Rookie

Apr 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steven Czech
    I have another question. Starter solenoid is not engaging. Starter is fine as I can jump it with a starter button but no power reaching the solenoid when the key is turned. Checked ignition switch and tested fine. Thus the loss is after the switch. Is there a fuse or relay that controls the starter solenoid and if so where is it located. Thank you.

9. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    It's likely due to the clutch light being on and it's preventing the car from starting. The issue likely originates with the Valeo system and it could be microprocessors not accurately detecting that the shift lever is in neutral, the actuator sticking, or the ECU having issues.
    Another quick idea I have is to disconnect the battery cables from the battery and tie them together for an extended period of time. That will drain all the power from the systems/ capacitors and might reset your Valeo ECU.

If that doesn't work, and you can't get your hands on an SD1, you might try to carefully open the Valeo ecu and inspect the condition of the circuit board. Mine had bad capacitors that leaked acid and partially destroyed it, necesitating a rebuild.

10. Steveczech

Steveczech Rookie

Apr 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steven Czech
    Let me ask a crazy question. What would it require to install a clutch peddle and do away with this problematic Valeo unit which has cost me a ton of problems and money. It is a shame I can't ever seem to drive the car.

11. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    LOL - the question has certainly been asked before. I believe I asked it once myself out of curiosity and was told it would be sacrilege on such a rare automobile and not to do it. These cars really are amazing when they are set up and running correctly, the problem is they are rare as are the SD1 and competent techs that know how to service them.

To answer your question, yes, it can be done. I would think the best way to go about sourcing the necessary parts would be the get a wrecked donor car. What exactly is required, I'm not sure, but I know it's more than a clutch pedal.

Where are you located, Steven? I highly recommend reaching out to Dave Helms of Scuderia Rampante in Colorado. He fixed mine and it never ran so good. He has since worked on another Valeo and I've directed several people his way. I'd say try an email and/or giving him a call and telling him Alex referred you. He's a busy man, but will offer the correct advice, troubleshooting and repair if necessary. http://****************.com/contact/

P.S. I wish I knew half of what I told you when I first started having trouble with mine. Many dollars were spent pissing in the wind until I consulted with an expert (Dave Helms).

12. Steveczech

Steveczech Rookie

Apr 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steven Czech
    Greetings Alex. Just got off the phone with Dave Helms concerning the Mondial T Valeo transmission. He definitely remembers you and says hello. I am going to ship him the computer and the spare computer to look at to make sure it is operating the way it should. That's the start. From there, if the computers are good we will continue on. Like you he advises against converting the clutch system so I am going to fix it once again. I can't begin to thank you for the information you have provided and would enjoy hearing about your Mondial. All I can really say about mine is it's beautiful and in immaculate condition but I keep a pair of tennis shoes in the back because I know the transmission will leave me walking. LOl. You have my email. Would enjoy hearing from you. And thank you again.

SonomaRik likes this.
  13. Steveczech

Steveczech Rookie

Apr 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steven Czech
    Hello Alex. Quick question. Where is the Potentiometer located on the 992 Mondail T? I keep looking but have yet to find it.

14. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    It should be on top of the gear box. It's red.

15. Roy balboul

Roy balboul Rookie

Jul 1, 2014
    Hello,

I have a 92 Valeo as well, could I trouble you as well for the repair manual for some technical support. Thanks [email protected]

16. Roy balboul

Roy balboul Rookie

Jul 1, 2014
    I also feel that this Valeo potentiometer must have been made for another vehicle (Fiat) for example.

17. Roy balboul

Roy balboul Rookie

Jul 1, 2014
    Hello, I’m new to this forum and have had my Valeo for years with no issues. I now have to have my belts done and am worried thing could go bad. Could I trouble you for schematics or any information you may have for this vehicle. I’m debating now to send it to the shop you mentioned for the service so I don’t have any issues. Thanks Roy [email protected]

18. fkralick

fkralick Rookie

Dec 1, 2018
    Dear Alexion, I too have a Mondial T with Valeo clutch. I was sending my valeo eco to Colorado when it was lost in USPS. I have been unable to locate the missing part and am at a loss as to what to do with my Mondial. Love the car and know that replacement ECUs are hard to come by. Any thoughts?