Trade a Speciale in for Pista? | FerrariChat

Trade a Speciale in for Pista?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by tickerhound, Apr 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have a beautiful 458 Speciale that I'm considering trading in for a Pista, Comments appreciated...

2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    what kind of comments are you looking for?

3. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    What are you looking to "gain"?

tonyswfla likes this.
  4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Had both. Depends what you prioritize.

5. triathgeek

triathgeek Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2010
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I have a 458 and am considering moving to a 458 Speciale. If you are considering an outright sale, please send info and price.

thank you

6. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    In my very humble opinion, it’s binary;

1) If you like the Pista, and I can see why anyone would because it’s a phenomenal Ferrari through and through, trading in your car for it, whatever it may be, is only logical. It’s a means to achieve one end: the car you truly want to enjoy. And I’m no one, absolutely no one, to tell you what you should want or do. The heart wants what the heart wants.

2) If your interest in the Pista is purely fuelled by future appreciation, if you care at all about the possible investment side of it, or if you have any other speculative interest, if you care about money, then I would strongly advise you to hold on to your Speciale for the foreseeable future.

I’m a firm believer that:

a) A Speciale will always be more valuable, collectible and in demand than a Pista.

b) Cars are toys to be enjoyed and driven, not kept in a heated garage for months for fear of losing money one day.

Take your time and take it easy. Speciale vs Pista is a wonderful problem to have in life.

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

7. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    I assume you have driven a Pista. If so, which one did you like better? Which one do you like looking at more? This is really a personal opinion and as others have said above, not sure what comments you want to hear. Should i have chocolate or vanilla ice cream for dessert tonight? (If this were a serious question I would get answers all over the place and the real answer would be whichever I prefer). Speciale is a classic and The Pista is amazing and with that being said I think Nuno’s response was spot on.

8. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    Go for a Pista Spider...

uhn2000 and Gh21631 like this.
  9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Pista: performance, looks, newer, usability

Speciale: sound, $ depreciation, exclusivity?

ScottS, Mighty Joe, obbob and 6 others like this.
  10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Perfect summary

11. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I prefer everything about the Pista, except for the redline.

Mighty Joe and leopoldo like this.
  12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yeah, that's a stupid idea.

Ray

13. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    I have been lucky to own both. I'm convinced that it will clear to you if you drive both, and switch back and forth as you do. I realize it may difficult, if not impossible to do this, but it will help you make a better decision.

As for me, I prefer the Pista. However, I'll be the first to admit that I like turbocharged power delivery.

Both are beautiful to look at and either would be a privilege to own. Ignore worries about depreciation, unless you plan to park it and obsess about it. In that case, buy neither.

Gh21631 likes this.
  14. BLKBLK

BLKBLK Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2011
    Given that you are getting a fair deal for your Speciale and you're also getting a nice deal on a Pista, I would go for a Pista. Although many argue that all these cars have sufficient power/speed for a daily driving and while I agree, it's also a great feeling to spank those occassional cars like Performante when they pull up next to you. =) Happy Easter!

uhn2000 likes this.
  15. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Hold on to the speciale and get either a Pista spider or an 812 GTS. That’s what I’m gonna do.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    On the one hand I dont get the Pista Spider, supposedly track car as a convertible which doesn't make sense. On the other, it sure it beautiful. If you want the best drivers car then get a Pista, if you want to store it then get the Speciale. Personally I like to drive my cars and there is no comparison between the two.

Coincid likes this.
  17. PJxxx

PJxxx Karting

Sep 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    PJ Cusano
    Do you think the Speciale will depreciate that much? Sorry if this is a naive question

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    IMO I believe it may drop in the short term but long term it will likely go up.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  19. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks all, I was looking for perspective and general opinions. I don't think I'd consider a spider because I like the way the engines are visible on the coupe versions.

20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Get the Pista and never look back, it is an incredible car. No comparison if you are interested in a car to drive.

Mighty Joe likes this.
  21. s4play

s4play Karting

Oct 25, 2006
    Keep the Speciale!

I know there are many ballers here that say own both or whatever but in the real world, you are talking nearly $1M in cars and I would never do that. My advice keep the Speciale. It will always be the more valuable car.

Pista is nice don't get me wrong but I'd rather have that money in the bank.

rampante550 likes this.
  22. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013

C'mon GH, your last few posts make it sound like a Speciale isn't a driver's car. You like the Pista over the Speciale while I like the Speciale over the Pista - neither of us are wrong - both are unbelievable driver's cars.

23. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    #23 Gh21631, Apr 12, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    It is but it is several steps backwards - there is no comparison or that's what I would have. With that said I love the Speciale and would like to add one but not in place of the Pista. Performance gets better as you move forward that's not a knock on the Speciale.

Manda racing likes this.
  24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Always?? The Pista is worth more now by quite a bit. Likely to be the case for a while. Now the SA is another story.

25. DRPM

DRPM Karting

Mar 25, 2016
    Montreal Quebec
    you won't regret the move to the speciale !