348 Challenge | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 Challenge

Discussion in '348/355' started by topcarbon, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lolwut

Lolwut Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 21, 2019
    I think I spoke to you a few years ago when you had a black diablo with SV wheels for sale.

Theyre not nearly as quick as the diablo but still a blast to drive. Go for it!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

topcarbon and Robb like this.
  2. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    That was years ago
    My cars are old and
    Slow(well, in terms of
    Modern hp)

Robb likes this.
  3. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    well, day two of this crazy idea and i am waiting
    for a return email.
    no one is answering the phone. No surprise as car is in California and they are in total lock down.

4. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    #29 Ira Schwartz, Mar 28, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    Just to clarify, since the ad text and especially the accompanying video are somewhat . . . ambiguous- this is NOT a "Factory Challenge:" car, but rather a tb SS that was converted to race in the Challenge Series. FWIW, I've owned both types (#94285, a red converted tb SS, and # 98791, the 26th of 32 Factory Challenge tb cars, and the only one in Grigio Met.), and tracked both extensively over a number of years. Both had Challenge Series race history.
    The Factory car was (is, actually, as I still own it, although I rarely drive it and should probably sell it) a tighter and slightly quicker car, and as a real Factory Challenge car with race history is, IHMO, the top of the 348CH heap. I had both cars titled and tagged (in Florida, which is pretty laissez-faire about such things, unlike most US States where this could be difficult), and drove them from Palm Beach to Moroso/PBIR, Sebring and Homestead many times, although I don't recommend it- it's a "hair shirt" experience, and you don't want to bounce your head off the roll cage in the event of a street crash. Nevertheless, if you can get tags (and insurance, which can also be tough), it's feasible.
    If I were younger and less orthopedically challenged (no pun intended) I'd probably keep my current Factory car forever, but at 67 I'm no longer sure. If, on the other hand, you're young and fit enough, go for it. This car seems like a good option- just understand that it's not as valuable as a Factory Challenge car (the price would surely be higher).
    BTW, you might want to relocate this thread to the Challenge/GT Cars section- more Challenge-specific expertise there.

Wade, foresterguy, Allen S. and 4 others like this.
  5. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    thank you for your input

6. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Go for it

If you dont want it I will take it I have 3 of them now 4 is just another bite

I think they are more fun to drive then the 355. No regrets baby :)

xo

cnpapa24, Allen S. and Wade like this.
  7. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Go for it.

8. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    https://ferraris-online.com/cars/1992-ferrari-348-challenge-93016/

In the video on Sheehan's website, they claim its one of the factory cars. I need to bounce the serial number against my list.

A couple of quick observations from looking at the video: car appears to have an incorrect later 355 Challenge cage, and incorrect later seats. Both very hard to find and expensive if you can find them if youre a purist and care about that.

Interior is in much nicer shape overall then lots of other 348 Challenges that spent their lives racing.

I think $79k is a steal. You should buy it.

9. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    I agree with Jason that it may well be a good deal despite the fact that it doesn't have all of its original Challenge equipment, but there were no "Factory" Challenge cars in '92.

10. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Thanks for the link. Yes, a steal for sure.

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  11. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Ah! I looked right past that it's a '92! Good call!

12. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Ferrarisonline Instagram page showed the car being loaded for shipping to it's new owner. Anybody on here buy it?!

13. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    #38 topcarbon, Apr 10, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    I missed out
    I could not pull the trigger as fast as someone else:(

14. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    You should try and buy Ira's. I've long loved that car. Grey on red interior too. Although, I suspect it won't be as cheap. :)

Robb likes this.
  15. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Thanks, Brian. I keep threatening to sell the car, but haven't gotten off my butt to actually do anything about it!
    Maybe once we're past the COVID-19 crisis I need to get serious about it, and move towards replacing it with a more street-friendly Ferrari- sold my last one of those years ago, but maybe it's time . . .
    Meanwhile, the car is in FL and I'm in MD, much to my dismay!

16. foresterguy

foresterguy Rookie

May 22, 2015
    Full Name:
    Steve M.
    Late in the game on this one but it is a very nice series speciale and converted challenge car and an incredible steal for $79k IMO considering the shape, mileage and race history. Feel bad that Jason didn't get the car since he originally posted about it and wanted it. As Ira and Jason B. said, it's not a factory challenge car and it doesn't have the correct seats, seatbelts, or roll cage although the fire extinguisher and steering wheel look correct. I also must admit that I find it somewhat irritating in watching the video to hear the narrator/dealer make inaccurate claims such as 'one of the factory-built' challenge cars, '18th of the 35' , 320 hp, etc. Hats off to the new owner, whoever that may be, who obviously got a great deal.

Ira Schwartz likes this.
  17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Good data point for when I sell my number 6 of 32.... when the daughter is in medical school.

18. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

I thought she wanted to be an avocado farmer ???? :)

19. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee