Recommended oil and filters for 250 GTE | FerrariChat

Recommended oil and filters for 250 GTE

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by fiatosca, May 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    #1 fiatosca, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Back in the day we used to use 10W40 or 20W50 and a pair of Frams on my father's V12s. I know Frams quality has slipped so what is the conventional wisdom for oil and filters on the 250 GTE? Was intending to use Baldwin B253 and B50 unless I hear otherwise.

2. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    The filters aren't the issue, today's filters are almost universially better than what they were way back when.

The biggest issue has to do with anti-wear additives and not just 10W40 or 20W50. Oils didn't withstand heat or oxidation as well, and cars with lots of carbs tend to have a lot more oil dilution than new cars. Oils are much better, but often don't have the right additive package for older cars.

ZDDP fouls catalitic converters, so oils with high levels of ZDDP aren't used in modern engines. Cam and follower wear are the issue and you want to make sure you have a level of additives necessary for you engine.

I don't use their stuff, but Amsoil has specific oils for older cars and also a specific break in oil so you might look at this page where they discuss it....

https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/classic-and-vintage/articles/reduced-zddp-and-wear-protection/

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Actually the filters are a big deal. Fram has had issues and have done a lot of damage to some motors as a result. Baldwin and UFI both make good filters.

ZDDP is present in sufficient levels in many modern oils. I'd say with dinosaur oil because most of the early motors do not have good enough ring packages to keep the oil in the bottom and not in the tail pipe. If ZDDP is a concern use a good name brand oil and get one of the easily obtained ZDDP additives like Redlines break in additive. With your roller cams ZDDP is nowhere near as important as a 308 and we have seen no issues in those with modern oils.

Any oil today is better than any oil from 1960.

4. Dazanz

Dazanz Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    New Zealand (Queenstown)
    Full Name:
    Daren
    I researched oil and filters awhile ago and found that fram and some others don't filter oil effectively.
    WIX oil filters were at the top of the list and so was Brad Penn engine oil.
    I tried this combo and my car had quieter lifters especially on start up and lower engine temperatures especially in a heat wave.
    Highly recommend Bradd Penn Oil. Will never go back to valvoline etc
    Daren

5. patknapp14

patknapp14 Karting

Aug 24, 2016
    Menasha, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Patrick Knapp
    Muscle & Collector's Choice Motor Oil

The collector car 20W50 is a great option for most early cars. It has a significant additive package catered for early cars.

If you are ever curious about what is in a specific oil, check out bobistheoilguy.com its a forum similar to FChat devoted to lubricants. They have virgin oil analysis, used oil analysis, and all other kinds of helpful information. I spent tons of time on there when I was trying to determine the best oil for my HEUI diesel injection system in my last truck.

6. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Is there any potential harm from adding too much ZDDP? I've used Brad Penn and Shell Rotella oils, both of which seem to be very good for vintage cars. I also have the ZDDP additive sitting on the shelf, but have not used it out of concern that adding something additional might negatively impact the formulation that when into Brad Penn/Rotella oils. I have that concern in general about oil additives, but if there is no harm with additional ZDDP, then I might use the additive next oil change.

7. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    For filters, I've always used Baldwin -- the build quality and standpipe are better than Fram and I think better than other brands because Baldwins are built for commercial (trucking) applications. They apparently were a thing even back in the day where some Baldwins had the Ferrari logo (Ferrari Oil Filter Baldwin Dino 246GT 308 328 365 GTB/4 512BB 308 GT4 B253 OEM | eBay). I think these logo Baldwins were made at the request of Chinetti rather than Ferrari. I would never use an old one with logo because they are too old at this point. The new ones look the same minus the Ferrari/Chinetti logo.

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Except Wix does not make a filter with the correct design for the Ferrari motor. They are fine on a Ford, not on a Ferrari.

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A lot of needless hand wringing over ZDDP. It was an additive developed to help with wear issues on American flat tappet pushrod engines. This Ferrari has neither flat tappets or pushrods. Ferrari motors from the 275 4cam on up have had flat tappets. They had a period during the 246/Daytona/365 GTC4 production with camshaft wear issues. It was fixed and today Ferrari still has flat tappets with much higher demands on oil than the 250 ever generated and they have been surviving flawlessly on very low ZDDP levels.

Quit worrying about ZDDP.

Pick a name brand oil of the correct weight, use the correct oil filter and it will all be OK.

10. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #10 Zanny1, May 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    Great discussion but what about recommended viscosity?

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    20/50 Dinosaur oil is still a good choice.

13. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Here are some oils with ZDDP:

Brad Penn
    Joe Gibbs
    Valvoline Racing 20/50

john

14. prance

prance Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    Agoura Hills
    Full Name:
    morris
    I've used Brad Penn for years and had good luck with it. Cars run cool, quiet and oil pressure stays up.

15. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    So what is the answer to the original question? Which was not about oil but the recommended best filters for the 250 Gte?
    Fram or Baldwin?

Thanks
    Christopher

16. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Christc: Go to Tom Yang's website. I have written extensively about the filter choices.