Mang's Garage | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Mang's Garage

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Mang, May 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Very cool place. It’s beautiful inside and out.

Mang likes this.
  2. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    ...stunning Mike...just revisited your thread today...LOVE your style and tastes...I’ve followed this thread all along and have tremendous respect and admiration for a master craftsman like yourself ...how you transformed this masterpiece is incredible !...might I ask why are you selling?...I understand the car thing when one restores a car to move onto the next one but houses are much different...as I say-strongly want this house but alas can’t ...‍♂️‍♂️♥️✌️

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  3. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    aloha Stu, thanks for the nice props. I listed it and planned a move to Hawaii, but it sat all winter unsold, while I stayed in Hawaii. I came home in Feb. as the virus news first hit. So I’ve just left things/plans alone, everything as is for now, but am reconsidering staying now, and enjoy every minute living here. We’ve had a lot of snow over the past 3 weeks, so chillin at home is the norm during storms. Hope u good bruh!

4. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    With hanging around at home comes projects. I’ve had my eye on this area for a while and knew it would be hard work but went for it. I have built a stone stairway up the slope and a walkway on top - from there more big stones stairs up the hill. I found an old ‘gate’ that I’m going to use as a fence - a piece of driftwood dragged out of the lake will act as a handrail it’s naturally rubbed smooth. Work in progress but taking shape...

Attached Files:

5. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Spent another 30 hours or so, evolving this area. I’ve removed a lot of dead manzanita and old roots, added another 4 steps going up the steep grade. My ‘system’ working alone...I have to locate a boulder, dig it out and then using gravity, be careful to guide it down into its spot. I can twist and turn these monsters, and lift for a second or two. I’m so sore today, day off. U can see some crazy rocks poking out of the side of the cliff, they are going to be harvested and put into play. I’m trying to figure a way to rig up straps to make sure they don’t go down once loose. I plan terraced rock walls and will plant a bunch of rodent proof plants once it’s all zenned out! By now I’ve moved and twisted literally every rock you see in these photos, most twice. :confused:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Since hermit life sort of appeals to me, I’ve stayed busy developing my homestead. Some follow up on the hillside. The stairs now lead up to a ‘landing’ nice lake view with a large boulder wrestled and pried into chair position at what is presently the top. I’m sure I’ll trudge further at some point. I added topsoil, sunk fenceposts, built a fence, integrated more rusty bits and used the old gate as railings going up the hill. Added some nursery bought flowers and planted wildflowers. The ones the rodents haven’t eaten, are progressing. The deck boards are drying out and going to be a one inch thick floor inside the shed...after I finish the install of the Murphy bed at the back. I give up only 16” at the back end of the shed and it just fits height wise. By 1/2 inch. Again my lucky remodel project. All this material and projects are virtually free. I bought about $100. worth of plants and soil, that’s it.

Back in the thread I showed the gabion cage usage for hillside retention. The hillside pressure is massive. I noticed a sag to the base cages and they were about an inch collapsed. I’ve been pondering how to bolster them. I gather up any and all rusty industrial looking throwaway from anywhere I see it. So I improvised and using 2 large bolts and 4 discarded iron pivots from a front loader from my stash - rigged up a system where by turning the nuts I can actually push and move what has to be tons. McGyver style. See photos.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Camp Freddie

Camp Freddie Karting

Oct 19, 2015
    London, Doha, Beirut
    Love these updates

Mang likes this.
  8. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #208 Mang, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    I spent the past few days putting the floor down in the shed. So many details. I removed the door and cut 1” off the bottom to allow for the thick deck boards. It has a great creaky sound to it when you walk on it as a proper rustic shed should. I’ve collected rusty nails from the Tahoe flume trail every time I hike for years, and when it came time to secure the boards, was a perfect opportunity to use them. If you look close at the boards you can see I sunk nails randomly all over where there were warps or uneven. There are no less than 4 different levels of wood as you enter the shed. I did this so when you drive a car in, it’s a nice steady ascent. I work alone so slow and steady and quite the mess, but loving the result. I can’t put the baseboards on until I’ve sorted the left side of the Murphy bed, but fireplace/heater is already ordered. It goes on bottom, then floor to ceiling storage pine furniture piece that will house a beverage cooler. All of it is 16” depth or less. I gave up nothing really to add bed, heat and fridge. I’m most likely going home gym as that seems the best use of the space for now. Presently no electricity in there, but that plus lighting next...also a better look at the rock work not blocked by the lumber.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #209 Mang, Oct 7, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    Lots of hours doing more here in the shed...fridge - fireplace/heater - storage all finding their place. I can’t tuck it all in until I’ve solved the power source issue, but it will be sorted soon. Then all finished and built in. Door threshold re-done as I cut an inch off the door, both doors completely weather sealed, this is an insulated shed, so with the heat source should get toasty in about 2 minutes.

in the rusty metal salvage pile I found two perfectly shaped and sized ‘grab rail’ bars that really function when ascending the stone stairs. It’s a system of rails now. Solar light coming to hang on the chain. I took an old wooden gate, and some extra fencing and put the 2 piece extra down at street level. I mounted the gate to 2 salvaged half beams with serious lag bolts and made a portable barricade style ‘fence’. I added stability and placed it right at the cliffs edge. I chose this path instead of sinking fence posts because I don’t want to compromise the edge of that cliff. It is fairly stable and I would have caused 5 years erosion digging anywhere near the edge. 2 people can pick this fence up and carry it away. In my salvage pile I have 5 long steel ‘beams’ you can see for now they make shelves for all my wood. I’m going to use 2 or 3 and make a custom fence going up the steep grade to a sunken beam up the hill. It will be a wooden gate, rusty steel fence and wooden post. Keeping the theme going. Looking for something special to be the post up the hill.

this reminds of gth’s missile silo thread. I had no idea where I was going with this project but here it is real time still going strong year number 9.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jasonberkeley and tickerhound like this.
  10. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #210 Mang, Oct 7, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    One more McGyver engineered prop. The shed from day one needs a push on the upper front to keep plumb. Here is a photo from right when we first remodeled, I just nailed a 2x4 scrap to hold it while I was seeking something ‘cooler’. I was going to use the props I made for the gabion cages, but they were overkill for the shed project and perfect for the cages. I found this scrappy metal ‘thing’ with an engineered threaded 2 part handle. I machined that piece of lodge pole so it fits over a nub you can’t see and just put it up there and started turning the handle. Plumb achieved and adjustable now.

11. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #211 Mang, Oct 8, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    Another mcgyver use of metal scraps and detail work. At the corner of the shed I covered a hole with patchwork wood piece, added that heavy duty metal ‘chunk’ to the face of the shed...it acts as a door stop. The big swing door now stops about 6” from the stone wall it used to hit when moved by gusty wind etc. I also gave the fridge and heater test runs, they work great. I finished building the heater/fireplace into the shelf unit. I custom cut it to fit exactly where it is. Heat comes out the top, so hot air has proper room to exit and heat the place. I figure the back part of that shelf can be a warming area for ?? Food - wet gloves, etc...maybe a small hot plate?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Really like seeing your work! Wasn’t your place for sale a while back?

13. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    tks Jim, ya a year ago I put it on the market, went to Hawaii, then Covid hit, I returned in a hurry and de-listed it. Now the real estate market is off the rails here and I could probably sell with ease. I really am content to stay here for now while the world unfolds. I couldn’t live like this with views and land and garage space, etc. on Maui without millions to spend.

Ak Jim likes this.
  14. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Used a throw away bathroom wall mirror and built a shelf/barnwood framed mirror that acts as another window with lake view reflections. From the open door position, I only gave up one inch of width with that shallow shelf. I can get pretty creative, I’ve gathered up some useful wood scraps and material over the years and there is always something to build with. There is also at the bottom of the mirror a piece of mini angle iron rusty metal to keep the theme going.

15. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    ...just came back to your thread from awhile ago Mang...as I’ve said before your work and talents are nothing short of SPECTACULAR!...personally,I feel you should never sell this place as it is so unique-“created” by you...the location is outstanding!...I’m planning some trips to visit some friends this winter in San Francisco and if you’re not back in Hawaii I’d like to come visit just to witness “excellence” in the flesh...

Mang likes this.
  16. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    Went through this thread a few years back..

Went through it again this morning.

Really love the cabin and glad you're still there.

Unless you plan on doing something similar somewhere else, don't sell it!

Mang and Jasonberkeley like this.
  17. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #217 Mang, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Agree with you and I’ve really settled in here. Tahoe is all wound up, has made me even more reclusive. I have endless hours of more progress to make here, so I’ve found peace developing this place. And yes, fchat homies always welcome - bring beer weed strippers...:D
    I sunk in that solid bench, so there is more of a patio feel now with the higher stone wall. Added 2 more solar lights. They will weather out and look trashed/ ‘rustic’ lol, after a winter here. For the first time in 8 months I picked up the mess as my son and his gf wanted to pop in and crash for the night. It was great having a place for them to sleep comfortably. Bed at level height resting on crate...still work to do.

Attached Files:

18. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #218 Mang, Oct 22, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    I removed one plank in the floor - And pieced together a section with plank boards and two ‘coves’. I then counter sunk two barn wood blocks that simply rest in the coves and allow the bed to rest perfectly level on top of them. Think giant bun feet. By being ez removable I can still use this space to park a vehicle. I also did more finish work inside the shed. The view from the bed shows sky, mountain, and lake views from the bed. It’s really a nice spot...oh and another Alfa spider followed me home, under the cover. Winter indoor project.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino and Jasonberkeley like this.
  19. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #219 Mang, Oct 22, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    This afternoon, I spent repurposing and repairing an old wood frame, making a fairly involved wire attachment and hanger, and added a rusty scrap as usual. I had some original art with a messed up frame, so I became an art framer today. I used the burlap back drop from a coffee bean bag I had laying around. It also lines the coves where the bed bun feet sink into. U can see where it’s located in the shed which is becoming a pretty cool space to hang. What I REALLY want to do right now, is setup a resourceful (don’t need the Tesla setup) home solar system to run the shed independently. There is a small fridge, heater, and additional power beyond that would be nice. To power light/s, phone charger, computer, etc. If anyone has sure fire suggestions on exactly what I need and where to get it, please chime in.

20. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Been a while since updates here. Some photos of recent finish work in the shed. Shown as garage for Jeep, as spare bedroom, and as home gym. And around the property. The shot with the beautiful lake view looking directly south is from the northwest corner of my lot for exact reference. The pristine wooden speedboat goes with the house if there is a strong offer!

I’m back on the market, Craigslist by owner.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino, Patrik550, Nicolas21 and 7 others like this.
  21. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Updates, sticking with plan, I punched up the hill, cleared loads of fire danger plants, pine cones/needles mulch, etc., ridiculous amounts. I maneuvered 2 large boulders at the top and then built a continuation of the stone stairs, up the slope. I took a left turn with the steps and curved up to meet the boulders/the crest. It opens me up to the beautiful upslope behind my house. I’m going to do a stone patio next. I have a lot of planting to do on that bare cliff side. Something that the critters won’t eat :mad:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. centerfireman

centerfireman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2015
    Roseville, CA
    Any damage from the recent earthquakes?

23. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    none, thanks for checking...the stone work is 99% dry stacked and I was concerned some might collapse, but held up.

Texas Forever likes this.
  24. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Love your place! Always enjoy when you post updates!

Camp Freddie and Mang like this.
  25. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    The ‘stairway to heaven’ is more or less complete, just clean up/removal work next :mad:
    I’m experimenting with 4 different ground covers. All four are planted and I’m going to see if any thrive and aren’t plant food for critters. The best survivor will be spread around later.