458 - What's a fair (pandemic) offer for this car? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

458 What's a fair (pandemic) offer for this car?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ModerateMike, Apr 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    So, you need to be in hospital helping your patients now instead of chatting with someone like me, whom you describe as a keyboard warrior!, at-least I have nothing to do to those poor patients, * your poor patients need you Mr. Emergency!

* And finally, learn to show respect to every human life, old or young, human life is not a joke, and humans are not flies! I hope, you understand this very well!

2. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    #52 AlfistaPortoghese, Apr 11, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Gentlemen,

We’re way off topic here and it’s getting in the way of us helping the OP as a prospective buyer to put forward a competitive offer.

That’s what this thread is all about, not questioning IloveGT’s or any other member’s professional life, personal views and/or ability as a physician.

Can we please move on? A little short story:

Back in 2014 I was pursuing a Mondial, my very first Ferrari. I had the futile target in my head to buy a Ferrari before my 30th birthday (was a different person back then). Anyway, I came here asking for advice because I knew nothing about the car in question and I couldn’t reach the owner, phone number in the ad didn’t work and the guy wasn’t returning my e-mails. A member of this board, among many others who also contributed, managed to get in touch with the guy and that’s how I managed to strike a deal. His contribution was single handedly THE only reason why I managed to buy the car I wanted. Thanks to this board.

Had we been entangled then in a non productive debate like this one, nothing good would’ve come out of this story, when there was no good reason why it shouldn’t.

I think that one of the nicest things that comes with being a member of this board, regardless of if you are a member, a moderator, an administrator or an owner, is to give back, reach out and help others. We’ve all needed help at some point (and got it), so it’s really nice to give back.

I take pride in the fact that more often than not, prospective buyers come here, get help, end up buying the car, pay a beer to the one(s) who helped him/her and that’s the beginning of a true friendship, cars becoming a secondary thing.

Lets do that instead, shall we?

If no one offers to buy me a beer, I’ll happily settle for a Red Bull, tropical edition :p:cool:

Kind regards,

Nuno.

paulchua, johnr265, Avia11 and 10 others like this.
  3. jomarti1

jomarti1 Karting

Feb 27, 2017
    S. Florida
    This is really annoying. You are in the wrong forum!

NYC Fred, Avia11, IloveGT and 3 others like this.
  4. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Going back to the car AGAIN.

The OP asked what is a fair price? He also noted that he did not want to pay too much for the car.
    Others suggested prices so low As to not be realistic but defined as great buys. Most of us know those prices won’t happen. And making those unobtainable suggested prices to a buyer
    On the fence doesn’t help him. Truly.

Some here know like others I buys cars. Not a shopper but more like a buyer if that makes sense. I also don’t like overpaying. BUT. My father was a car dealer. There is a difference in overpaying and trying to buy wholesale at a retail place of business.

I suggested as others that one way to look at this car or any toy/ discretionary purchase was a conversion machine from money to memories. The puerile criticism underscores the point about the need for stress relief and distraction from the realties of our lives at times.

May I suggest another metric for the purchase. Reasonable price. I can scour online ads, auctions, and individual sellers and buy at a discount. That is one way of acquiring vehicles. I have done that. I have an old manual M6 that I acquired that way. And I have gotten to know my BMW mechanic very well.

But when I walk in to see Curtis at Ferrari CF and ask about a car - I will ask very nicely is that the best you can do for me? What else can you do to add value ? Like the OP I would ask for the dealership to “throw in” the warranty or the next service or something I want done to the car. Their cost is less and your value is high. The fair price should also include not just the car but possibly other aspects and of course the relationship you want to build. You may never use them again or, you may buy car after car after car. Who knows. This first date may determine how the relationship goes ever if you are a remote buyer. Trust and value are key. I got a great price on my F12 from a remote dealer with a good reputation and nice inventory. But it showed up missing the charger and cover and a piece of upholstery that I will have to sue to recover the cost involved. Not a bargain not where I’ll buy in the future.

When he says this is what I can do, I’m done. It’s my choice. 10k won’t kill me and I doubt it would the OP. In the post pandemic world there will be value and better prices, lower interest rate at first and possibly inflation later. Who knows? But I also expect to pay a reasonable margin on my purchases to keep Curtis employed and the dealership going because it’s important to me.

So what’s a fair price for both parties?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    FWIW, I am the original owner of a January 2013 delivery 458 spider with +/- 5500 miles. Red over tan with carbon race seats. Seats have center black stripe and stitched cavallino. I have the carbon interior (dash, wheel, console), carbon b-pillar/front winglets. Rear wall in leather and upper zone in upcharge beige not black. iPod adapter and JBL stereo. Lower dash beige not black. All stitching in red. No lifter.NAV, Homelink, sensors. Didn't want or need them. Car lowered on factory parts. MSRP 311 with 315 out the door with lowering/alignment/Kevlar custom fabricated Kevlar skid plate.

8 months ago I figured that it was time to sell.
    I figured I could sell my 2015 Golf R (my DD) and get 2 fun cars for the price of 1. i.e new Giulia QF and Boxster spider. I could then drive both of them often rather than just occasionally driving the Ferrari. Don't start with me about cars were meant to be driven. I am a physician, husband, father, multiple dog/cat owner, have friends, love cooking, and enjoy exercising as well. Much of my time is spent doing other things I find to be more important BEFORE I then really enjoy my car time. Plus, running errands in a Ferrari is not as much fun as taking it out and doing relatively safe and brisk twisties. Then there is the fact that I have a ball just decompressing in the garage detailing it. My version of a pottery wheel. Family/pets asleep, daughter doing homework, etc. I go in the garage. I love being at home - whether the family wants me there or not! I am surprisingly, happy as can be. NET: do not post about my lack of drive time. I am happy with it.

Dare I digress.

So, almost a year ago I emailed a Ferrari Club buddy of mine and offered him my spider. I knew he was in the market since selling his 430 spider. Plus he knows and loves my car. I had put a price of around 210 in my head. My multiple car owning buddy who has a Speciale said if I really want to sell be prepared to take 200. As fate would have it, he never got my email! Since then I changed my mind. Nothing I really want more - even 2 cars. Plus, since taking my car "off" the market, the market firmed up. 210 seemed like a reasonable offer then and now. That being said, even in these times, certain cars are in demand. Maybe not indefinitely as the financial world is in flux. I get that. BUT, if I wanted to sell my car, not HAD to sell my car, I still think 210 is a full but fair price for a lowish miles, 1 owner, well enough optioned car. Yes, wholesale is WAY lower. BUT, this is not a wholesale situation. This is a ? of what does the OP think a car is worth, today.

IN regards to used cars in general, I find that getting EXACTLY what you want is extremely hard. So, if a car is just that, exactly what you want - you might want and need to pay a premium for that pleasure. You only over pay if it is NOT something you want. My Speciale buddy thinks I was nuts to pay more for some of my leather and exterior carbon pieces. I think he is nuts for not always getting what he really wants. The more flexible you are in general, the more price variation you will be able to explore.

Lastly, for some reasons, CA cars are for sale for more $$ than the rest of the country. Silicon Valley, pollution, who knows? LOL

Best!

BLAMPEE, johnr265, 9650max and 4 others like this.
  6. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Yes, the virus isn't the problem. The virus is the excuse 'they' are using to usher in a 'new era'.

I think it is a purposeful collapse of the currently monetary system. Out fiat currency has run its course and is no longer a viable tool. Whjat's next? That is the battle being waged behind the scenes. IMHO....

wrs likes this.
  7. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic" : Joey Stalin

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  8. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Oops.

I read these threads and respond in chronological order. Please ignore my responses.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  9. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    Here's how the European exotic market is responding to the coronavirus

Please take a look here,
    Ferrari 458 - Rosso - Accident-free

20.000 km / Price: €115,000

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=288930670&damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&isSearchRequest=true&makeModelVariant1.makeId=8600&makeModelVariant1.modelId=2&pageNumber=1&scopeId=C&sfmr=false&sortOption.sortBy=searchNetGrossPrice&sortOption.sortOrder=ASCENDING&searchId=8ea5cb17-b60b-33cc-37bf-d8a8da859bbb

And also
    €129,000

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=296419567&damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&isSearchRequest=true&makeModelVariant1.makeId=8600&makeModelVariant1.modelId=2&pageNumber=1&scopeId=C&sfmr=false&sortOption.sortBy=searchNetGrossPrice&sortOption.sortOrder=ASCENDING&searchId=8ea5cb17-b60b-33cc-37bf-d8a8da859bbb

And here:
    28.000 km / Price: €129,000

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=293152292&damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&isSearchRequest=true&makeModelVariant1.makeId=8600&makeModelVariant1.modelId=2&pageNumber=1&scopeId=C&sfmr=false&sortOption.sortBy=searchNetGrossPrice&sortOption.sortOrder=ASCENDING&searchId=8ea5cb17-b60b-33cc-37bf-d8a8da859bbb

And here:
    25.600 km / Price: €129,000

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=294586788&damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&isSearchRequest=true&makeModelVariant1.makeId=8600&makeModelVariant1.modelId=2&pageNumber=1&scopeId=C&sfmr=false&sortOption.sortBy=searchNetGrossPrice&sortOption.sortOrder=ASCENDING&searchId=8ea5cb17-b60b-33cc-37bf-d8a8da859bbb

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    Not to mention it's just the initial asking price for these cars !! You will always be able to pay less!!

11. NDO

NDO Karting

Oct 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    It is just me, that think the effect of the pandemic is much broader than the potencial personal loss and economic loss that so many are suffering?

In another words, there are a few privileged ones that can isolate themselves safely but for most of the world is major devastation.

the last thing I could imagine right now is drive a sport cars on the street. It just feels so wrong to do that with so many suffering. I honestly feel like selling both of my cars because I don’t feel comfortable driving them anymore.

I absolutely love these cars and had great fun for many years, I am very thankful for that, but currently with all this tragedy around the world,
    I am definitely a seller, not buyer anymore.

as simple as that.
    That is my humble opinion.

cheers, stay safe.

12. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I’m dumbstruck. Never seen 458s going for that value. Not even damaged in an accident. Not in my neck of the woods at least. There must be more to it.

Not saying cars, 458 included, won’t drop im value in this economic environment, once demand plays a huge role in all this, if not the main role. In a crisis, before things reappreciate and everything returns to normal, people have to worry about satisfying primal needs, exotic italian supersports cars not being one of them. But it doesn’t happen overnight.

In my neck of the woods, the cheapest 458 costs around 150.000 EUR asking price, bare to the bone spec and question marks about its history. Maybe you can snatch it for 140.000. A nice one goes for 180-190.000 EUR.

488s start from 200 to 230. If someone came to me offering a 488 or a 458 for roughly 50.000 or so less than the average asking price, instead of appealing to me, I’d run away without looking back.

For the prices listed in the previous post, one can’t even get a battered up, abused California. There’s one in my country with more than 110.000km that goes for more than that.

Again: not questioning Astrid.Didier’s input in any way, shape or form, but something must be off.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

PTG1 and Astrid.Didier like this.
  13. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    #63 AlfistaPortoghese, Apr 11, 2020
    You will of course do as you please. I’m absolutely no one to tell you what to do.

But if you allow me to respectfully offer you a different perspective, one that I share: it’s alright to be successful, as long as you lend a hand.

Selling your cars won’t do you, or anyone else, any good. People will keep getting sick and dying whether you sell or keep your cars. You’ll essentially be apologizing for being successful, but little else of consequence.

Instead, why don’t we start helping people getting test kits, masks, make donations, volunteer to run chores, like the NBA Cares program, for instance?

In any case, you’re a better man than me and don’t you ever doubt it. I confess I’ve taken my 458 out of the garage and blasted it on public roads. Had thrills and saw scenes I’ll never see again in my life. I am however, aware that that’s not advisable, wise or beyond reproach.

Back on topic, is the OP any closer on making an offer?

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Themaven, Astrid.Didier and cole328 like this.
  14. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    I was surprised EXACTLY like you! To tell you more, I was searching since a year at the same site and many many other sites and also dealers in Europe and Dubai for a nice spec'ed 488 with low KMs, things have changed a lot in a few weeks! Now I think it's the right time but as you said I feel like every1 else and I'm worried about satisfying primal needs especially when the future is not clear enough for me now!

15. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    Great post and great words, you are a true human, LOVE AND RESPECT to you! .. I share you your opinion, and I hope everyone can understand the experience of other people's pain!

16. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    #66 IloveGT, Apr 11, 2020
    Get off your high horse. And what do you do for a living that makes you an expert in human life? Even though I deal with human life and death in any single minute as a physician, I claim no expertise.

now you really are becoming a troll (especially with your incessant exclamation marks and the world is ending remarks). You obviously just wanted to stir up an emotion. If you want to pick a fight, please stop hiding behind the keyboard and just go to a bar. Do the same thing you did here and you will be treated by another emergency physician in your country.

Just in case English is not your first language, please do yourself a favor before you continue to embarrass yourself. Google "drop like flies" idiom and see if it does have any kind of negative connotation based on which you are judging someone else's character and profession that you obviously are ignorant about. The most dangerous thing is not about how little you know that makes you right, but rather how little you know that makes you wrong.

here is an example link. https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/124200.html

go educate yourself.

NYC Fred, Graz, PTG1 and 5 others like this.
  17. barkanddex

barkanddex Rookie

Apr 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Natalie
    I am the OP’s wife. I have been plaguing my poor husband looking for a Grigio Silverstone with carbon fiber racing seats for over two years. I understand and appreciate all the comments and you all have helped us tremendously. Thank you all.

Please join me in congratulating my husband on making the deal today. Of course we are wary in these economic times, but it was the car for us.

I am a physician and I wish you all good health and a Happy Easter if you celebrate. Be well.

18. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Gentlemen, strike two and final warning.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

19. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    'No comment' - You were finally able to make me laugh! I mean it, no-hard feeling anyway!!:D:D

20. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    no-hard feeling Nuno, forget about it!

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  21. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    He is so lucky to have a wife nagging at him for two years to get a Ferrari!! Good job.

22. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Welcome, Natalie!

Your husband has got a supportive wife and now a wonderful 458 in the garage. He’s not poor at all!

Many congratulations to you both. Stay safe out there, thank you for being in the frontlines fighting this pandemic as physicians and enjoy your 458 in good health! Wish you many miles of happiness behind the wheel!

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

23. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    Congrats to you and your husband on the GS 458. Excellent choice. GS is one of my favorite Ferrari colors. Now can you “plague” your husband one more time to post pictures. Y’all enjoy the car in good health and be safe on the frontlines.

AlfistaPortoghese and barkanddex like this.
  24. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    OP is lucky guy. As we all are.
    Life might be short. Enjoy it as you like as long as you don’t hurt others.

Enjoy the car and what it represents. Please post pictures! It is a beautiful car.

For those following the market here is a 488 spider for close. :

https://ainventory.eurocaroc.com/vehicle-details/2017-ferrari-488-gtb--full-carbon-interior---stunning---coupe-ad7608f7f54f0e45b1e8c769f79af849

That’s a starting price. The delta has never been so small.

To those who feel that driving now is inappropriate I respectfully disagree. I might be driving in to put someone’s loved one on ECLS for covid and that extra time may make the difference. I make no apologies for driving any of my Ferrari’s in to work and staying until things are better for that person or persons. I ask the poster who was judging people - people on the front line- what he might he DO to help to their community or neighbors? People are bringing my colleagues in NYC food, sending PPE or simply making donations. Those safely sequestered have it easy. No question.

People like ILOVEGT face real risk now- He and I and others on this board face the possibility where doing ones job could hurt us or more importantly, our families. The stranger has evolved into potential threat.

The world has changed. We will see. At least we can be kind to each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnr265, Graz, Ash Patel and 3 others like this.
  25. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    These cars look cheap compared to UK prices, I suppose the LHD European market is that much bigger then the UK, I'm seeing everything dropping but not really 458s, sure they are down a bit say 10k but nothing more, lamborghinis are taking a real hammering and Mclaren's are dropping like stones, I thi k the fact ferrari has such an enthusiast following stop the prices dropping as hard. I always think you have to pay a far price for the car if its desirable if no one wants it you can drive a hard bargain but, 458s are uniquely placed, they are the only modern n/a v8 that was produced, to me a 430 is a totally different proposition and a 488 is that much more refined, they sit in a bit of a niche, yes there are lots of them but still they are sought after, I know I'll never sell mine