what is this carbon side skirt? | FerrariChat

what is this carbon side skirt?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Friar93, Apr 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Personally I think it looks horrible and disrupts the lines of the car. I do not think that was a factory option.

I'd much rather prefer just the bottom skirt black only, the one that doesn't touch the body lines and and a nice accent and even nicer with a black roof.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    It depends on the car and color, for example a car like the Speciale with the black roof option from the factory in a the color other than red looks amazing with the factory option carbon fiber side skirts. I looked long and hard for this exact spec, here is my Speciale. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Friar93

Friar93 Rookie

Apr 7, 2007
    i just noticed this car also has black shields.....it this a factory option or an aftermarket treatment?

4. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    That look is awesome on a 430 16M. Not so much on the 458's.

Mikes90ef8 and cole328 like this.
  5. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Carbon fiber shields are also proposed as "Genuine" accessories (most probably they could also be sourced from other suppliers at lower prices).
    The "Genuine" program is an accessories program, proposed items are often not available as options when ordering a new car (although some items are retrofit of optional items, e.g. the front lift or the parking camera are proposed in the "Genuine" program and are available as options).

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  6. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    The carbon side skirt IS/WAS a factory option. One of the Fchat guys - KING MONKEY- had them do it on his spider at the last minute as it went red 10. If my memory is correct it was somewhere around 6-8K but don't quote me.
    You could then pay even more to have the vertical aspect painted the car's color. That would leave just the rocker edge (sill) in carbon. In that configuration it looks more like the optional "sport sill".
    Best

7. Friar93

Friar93 Rookie

Apr 7, 2007
    does anyone know how easily these are removed? how they are attached? I assume it is in place of the original painted body panel? I wouldnt want to paint it but replace it.

Im looking at a car with this option that Im not 100% sold on and would want the option to reverse it.

8. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
    we offer these as a replacement panel. they bolt on along the bottom length and the end caps. The taller short area in front of the wheel locks into a channel in the upper rear qtr panel.

David

Attached Files:

9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Agree, hideous. I would just wrap it to body color.

10. Friar93

Friar93 Rookie

Apr 7, 2007
    Id be concerned that a wrap will never really match the paint and then look worse since its just a panel......

David, do you offer these in matched paint as well?

11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Wrapping will not match the paint, not even close. It will look wrapped, that' all there is to it.

You can get the OE pieces here. Look at #10. P/N 83243210 and 83243310. Any good painter can finish them in the correct colour.
    https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/ferrari/458-italia-europe/all-pages/shields-external-trim-73111

If you're located in the US or other places, just google the Ferrari and the part numbers, and you'll easily find the panels.

13. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    Absolutely hideous. If you want that look just wrap them in carbon fiber wrap or another color of your choice and save the money for something better used for you money like a root canal. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    OMG....that car is killer!!! Love it!