Your tire selection / choice for F430 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Your tire selection / choice for F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by MattiValhalla, Oct 1, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    The 360 and 430 are fairly sensitive to tire pressures. The newer Michelins seem to like 32 psi all around. Start with that and tune to your liking.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

nsxbill likes this.
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Tire pressures are trial and error, which is how Ferrari developed the ones in the OM originally. As mentioned 32 F&R is a good starting point for MPSS and MPS4S tires and see how you like the balance. I run 33 all around, but since I have front engine V12, not much commonality.

3. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    What Terry said, and I would add this. If the tires you select have a soft compound (say, 300) and you put a reasonable amount of miles on the vehicle over a period of time, e.g., a year, by monitoring tire wear, you can quickly learn how to fine tune air pressure. For instance, there is a general rule that can act as a measure such as high wear on the sides versus high wear on the center of the tire. Assuming that alignment is correct and you are not making high speed turns routinely, make your observations and do some research. What you learn may provide adequate guidance as to how to adjust tire pressure to equalize the wear across the face of the tire.

I won't make pressure recommendations because tires are too important for me to tell you what to do.

4. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    Looks like Tire Rack only offers Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in the 430 size, neither of which I saw discussed yet. The 3+ seems to be a better choice for one who is not trying to track or wring every possible performance nuance from the car. Both seem to have the same speed rating, but the 3+ has more all season rating than the 4S which is rated for summer only. Any comments or opinions would be appreciated.

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ps4 is what everyone goes with. The ps2 were from 2011. Same tire people have been using for years

6. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    I agree, I had PS4 on my F430. I kept the pressure around 32-33. Depends on when u check the pressure, every 10 degree of tire temp increase, will increase the pressure by 1psi. I believe the PS4 are considered warmed up at around 140–160 degrees. Correct me
    If I’m wrong , please ..

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

nsxbill likes this.
  7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Unless you drive your car when road temperatures are well below 40F (like during real winters, not the ones we get in the SF Bay Area), you will like the 4S much better. The ride, handling and grip are significantly better than the A/S.

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I would not put all season tires on a Ferrari.

honda corse, Need4Spd and Flea7 like this.
  9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    you mean year round? or even if someone wanted to drive during a cold but dry winter?

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Easy solution is a set of summer tires and a set of winter tires, but not the compromises that come with all seasons in the summer, spring, and fall. Jack of all seasons, master of none is the old saw suitably modified.

honda corse likes this.
  11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i agree with you. even on 20 degree days you really have to be trying to get a 430 sideways with ps4s. if you are responsible you can easily get through a northeast (dry) winter with them.

Need4Spd likes this.
  12. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I happened to drive extensively on slick tires (racing tires) in 0 degree F (dry, too) on my 360

Its not that bad, just be a little careful and its all good

13. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    nsxbill likes this.
  14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I have been running the new last year PS4Ss (different league to the P Zeros) on my F430 at 32F 34R but having read this will try 32 all round and report back.

nsxbill likes this.
  15. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    I love those NT01's they stick like glue to the track...I would consider those for the F430 but may not be a good all around choice for the street.
    Is that car track built only or is it for the street..?
    If you dont mind what did they set you back.?
    Thanks..!

16. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Nine wet track days and they never hydroplaned— however— I’ll switch to a different tire next winter.

I’m thinking of signing up for Ferrari Challenge at Monterey if it takes place in July.

17. DitPun

DitPun Rookie

Sep 16, 2016
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Srinivas Rao
    Another thumbs up for the NT01's. I've had them about a year and a half and have had one track day on them so far; otherwise they're used on the street. The grip is phenomenal, though I've never used them in the rain. The only time they got dicey is driving over a mountain (Pinyon crest) from the San Diego area to Rancho Mirage in March last year. It was warm on the coast but there was actually snow run off on the road and the outside temp was ~40, so not ideal conditions for a near slick track tire.

Manda racing likes this.
  18. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Having tried various permutations I am now on 33 all round with my MPS4Ss on my 430 and it is perfect - and these tyres seem quite sensitive to small adjustments in pressure. The handling is better than it ever was, and the tyres don't feel "soft" at this pressure. Very progressive feel also.

Manda racing, MKTViper and nsxbill like this.
  19. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Now that I have 4 pressure gauges I should probably toss out the one that reads 7lbs too high.... it gets old subtracting odd numbers.

then there is the one I suspect is 2 Lbs on the low side.....

im thinking of buying some Michelin’s this week.
    Btw— two very wet mountain passes on the NT 01s and no hydroplaning. (I wished I hadn’t been there)