For Sale - 1956 Porsche 550A Spyder reproduction | Page 2 | FerrariChat

For Sale 1956 Porsche 550A Spyder reproduction

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Dryfly, Apr 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tamaren

Tamaren Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Tempe, AZ, Westcliffe, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Wesley K.
    Not a difficult thing to get around, like other people have said. Have a M96 in a 60's style open wheel racecar right now.

Mang likes this.
  2. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    Thanks for your input, I read in haste and missed the weight ... 1300 lbs!! The pictures of the car clearly distracted me. My two race cars are at 800 lbs and 1000 lbs with just a bit more hp, so driving this car on the street will require MAX driver attention.

To OP, what is engine rev range, do you have dyno sheet? PM sent for video.

3. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Apologies off topic, love to see pics?

this car offered is beautiful and for sure has caught everyone’s attention!

4. Dryfly

Dryfly Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2012
    Seattle area
    Attached is a short video that we made earlier this week at a friend’s outdoor Kart Track in Kent WA. The video was shot by another friend and stitched together by his daughter. According to her, she had to use “free” YouTube music to get it posted on YouTube so I could share it. I have the file in much higher resolution but it is too big to e mail (at least within my skillset) at 85mb.

Extensive service/upgrade invoices are available, please PM with an e mail address if interested.

During my ownership, I replaced all 4 tires (2006 date code), installed original style push button starter (with hidden key under dash) and leather rear clamshell hold down straps, changed motor/transmission oil and wiped down the whole car. It was pretty much perfect when I got in and I have added maybe 100 miles, Enough to replace fuel with non-ethanol premium fuel. This car is pretty quick, at 180hp/1350lbs is has the same ratio power to weight as my 2004 996 Turbo X50 Cab. The chassis is stiff and the brakes are quite good and the motor pulls strong to redline, with the 550A Body you get the opportunity to use larger wheels/tires so this example has 205 and 225 Continental Sport Contacts on 16” custom 3 piece wheels. I had the wheels polished and resealed when I put the tires on.

You might want to turn your volume downJ

EarlyCat likes this.
  5. Tamaren

Tamaren Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Tempe, AZ, Westcliffe, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Wesley K.
    Sure, I also have a build page over on rennlist with a few more pictures. https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/1186294-986-based-open-wheel-racecar.html

It's a M96 3.2 with headers and Individual throttle bodies tuned to 300whp, and a full chromoly 4130 tube frame. Should weigh about 495 kg with a full tank of gas. Could fit a 4.0 if I wanted.

I'm kinda going for a 60's F1/Lotus 49 look but with some modern touches like pushrod suspension.

Sorry about how dirty my garage is currently, and about being a little off-topic.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Camp Freddie, BOKE and Mang like this.
  6. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    But you bought this in 2019? Tires from 2006? Is the date code correct?

7. Dryfly

Dryfly Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2012
    Seattle area
    When I received the car the tires were in as new condition but the date code was 2006. I like my rubber fresh so I bought brand new tires immediately upon receiving the car.

8. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Got it. It read like you installed old (2006) tires in 2019. Thanks for the clarification.

9. Dryfly

Dryfly Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2012
    Seattle area
    Hi Schao,
    Sorry for the slow response.
    The car is pretty much Neutral and rotates like my 360. The tires are 202's in the front and 225's on the rear and the grip matches the chassis stiffness well. The motor is pretty simple and maintenance is pretty much distributor, cap and rotor (no points, has electronic module), oil changes and probably a valve adjustment every 10,000 miles. Fortunately that was all just done at the Porsche Dealership that I purchased it from in Pennsylvania (see invoice below) within about 200 miles. The tires are brand new Continental Super Sport so about all it needs is some quality gas (I only use premium non ethanol).

Todd,
    The car weighs between 1300-1350lbs @ 180HP est. = 7.22lbs. per HP, it is FAST and easy to drive (think go kart).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Dryfly

Dryfly Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2012
    Seattle area
    Hello Forum,
    I will have to remove this listing soon (maybe this Saturday) when the car goes live on auction on Bring a Trailer. If anyone has any further interest, please let me know. Thank you all for the kind words and comments!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

dustman likes this.
  11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thanks for sharing.

Do you know what your reserve will be on BaT, if any?

Matt

12. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Can't remove listings. Use it as further marketing to push your BaT auction when it goes live though.

13. Dryfly

Dryfly Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2012
    Seattle area
    There is a reserve which is slightly less than my asking price. Anyone that buys from bring a trailer pays them 5% buyers premium at the close of the auction. Auction usually lasts five or six days.

14. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thanks!

Matt

15. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Best of luck. I think it'll do well on BAT. Could easily beat you reserve...

Mang likes this.
  16. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    Best wishes on BAT, I wish I had room for this car.

17. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Looks like luck wasn't needed. Already at $45k

u2fast likes this.
  18. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Yup. And 46,000 this AM.

Hopefully it goes even higher.

19. Dryfly

Dryfly Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2012
    Seattle area
  20. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    4 1/2 hours to go. Hopefully you get a bidding war at the close...

Someone is going to get a beauty!

GLWA!

21. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Good ole fashion bidding war at the close. Exciting and I'm not even bidding! Congrats Brian!

Hoodude likes this.
  22. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Holy crap. $69,000! That was epic.

Congrats Brian.

23. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Congrats on the sale. I hope the transaction completes at the final bid price, I bet you are happy :)