430 - Cheapest odb reader that can read clutch life? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

430 Cheapest odb reader that can read clutch life?

Discussion in '360/430' started by goto35march, Apr 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Formula below ... Cut and pasted it from another thread

Corey

Look like about 23 percent Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    And yes ev08 is for 2008

3. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I just found that thread also. The interesting part is that I recall my mechanic saying my clutch was actually just shy of 19% (he rounded up to 20 when he wrote the PPI report up). If you use the incorrect 7mm wear formula that is referred to as wrong in that thread my clutch is right around 19%. As I don’t think I burned 4% of clutch in less than 300 miles of normal street driving (no track, launch control or reversing up a hill) so my mechanic must have one of the computers with the wrong calculation of 7mm vs 5.6mm (or the calculation is right for an 08/09 and we have been using numbers from the 05 thru 07 cars).

Now that I have a way to track the wear, I’ll start a spreadsheet and keep an eye on how it goes as I put mileage on the car.

Cheers,
    Corey

4. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    #54 Flea7, Apr 10, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    maybe I can't see the formula correctly due to it not being clear ....but I got 20.06 with the numbers you posted. Is 23 percent correct?
    Could you list the thread that discuss this?

Thanks,

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    The formula is. Difference of both position divided by 5.8 times 100

6. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Oh...ok it was hard to read..i used 15.6 as the denominator.....but still got 53.96
    3.13 divided by 5.8 x 100 = 53.965

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #57 flash32, Apr 10, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    Flea7 likes this.
  8. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    One more thing. just thinking... The 5.6mm quoted in the other thread was from Maserati. Are we sure the 430 is the same? maybe 7mm is right and the x431 uses the right calculation for ferrari but is wrong for Maserati?

9. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    flash32 likes this.
  10. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    From the SD printouts I have seen for a f430.. 5.6 looks like the number it uses for that vehicle

11. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Can you do everything included in a service schedule with a x431? 430 that is. Can you flush the F1-system also?

12. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I found a screenshot of the original PPI on Feb 28th. It was even better than I remembered at 18.07% and the numbers do add up to using 5.6 as the max wear number. So I started another thread about "Avoiding Clutch Wear" because I'm obviously driving the car wrong. Hopefully I'll get some good tips here and going forward monitor my clutch wear myself.

Cheers,
    Corey

Attached Files:

13. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    You are correct if it works as described... I will give it a try. What is $330 and where do I buy it?

14. DitPun

DitPun Rookie

Sep 16, 2016
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Srinivas Rao
    Hey guys, I just received my AP200 from Amazon earlier today, and I started playing with it on my 2006 F430 F1. First off, the report generated from the software does seem to provide the clutch wear index in %:

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Let's just there were a lot of other things flagged, but it's not clear what's historical (I had some issues with a low battery):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The stuff in the green circle is concerning. Can I assume that my F1 accumulator is having issues? My independent shop recently checked out the F1 system (plus flush, etc.) and didn't find an issue.

15. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Are you seeing / feeling any issues ?

lot of those seem voltage related ..low battery in start

If everything seems ok .print the complete list and see if there is any freeze frame for each ..print that then.check / charge / replace battery and then wipe codes out .. drive a bit ..close open too etc and then check again

Not sure if the ap200 have freeze frame capabilities

16. DitPun

DitPun Rookie

Sep 16, 2016
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Srinivas Rao
    Hey Dominick, thanks for the quick response. I did have a low battery state ~1y ago, but that was resolved. What prompted the recent trip to the independent shop re: the F1 system was that when I tried to start the car ~2 mos. ago, absolutely nothing happened (to be clear the car was clearly on and I tested the headlights, which seemed to work just fine). There was, however, a light for the F1 system (the weird engine cover looking thing), but nothing on the screen. I did a battery disconnect and reconnected (perhaps too soon), and tried starting again, and seemingly every error message re: the F1 that was possible flashed across the screen. So I disconnected again, waited for a good minute or so, and reconnected and the error messages disappeared and the car started right up. I took the car straight to the shop from there, but over the ~20 mile drive, there were absolutely no hiccups. The mechanic did a lot of diagnostics and did note that the F1 computer had become disconnected from the main ECU(s) at some point. Beyond that, he couldn't find anything. His comment on the phone, spoken in a thick Italian accent, was that "...she's like a woman. Some times she loves you; sometimes she hates you." ;-)

van22 likes this.
  17. DitPun

DitPun Rookie

Sep 16, 2016
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Srinivas Rao
    Oh, and the battery was tested, and it's fine.

18. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Ok all that makes sense .. I would clear all the errors with the ap200 after printing and see what come back .. then report back ..we can go from there

19. DitPun

DitPun Rookie

Sep 16, 2016
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Srinivas Rao
    Thanks again! Will do

20. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Also btw did you follow the battery reset procedure when you discontinued the battery ...in the manual ..resets the system properly.. by now it may have happened anyway ..but that is something that should be followed when you disconnect the battery

21. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Rereading your pass error ..it light and no start ..could have been the rear latch not recognizing it was closed and giving you the light with no start condition

22. DitPun

DitPun Rookie

Sep 16, 2016
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Srinivas Rao
    Hi Dominick, I did do the reset process when the car did start up prior to taking it to the shop (in part because I wanted to make sure nothing screwy happened before I got on the highway), and I'm certain there were other resets done as part diagnostic process. Re: the rear hatch, is was actually the warning light (which I believe pertains to the F1 system), not the engine compartment lid open graphic in the multi-function display. That said, I had to read up on the warning light, as it really looks like it should be about the lid.

23. Apollo 11

Apollo 11 Karting

Feb 11, 2019
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I just received one in the mail and tried it on my 2003 360 Spider.

There are 2 gearbox options. Marelli Semi Automatic Gearbox System CFC231 and F1 Gearbox System 201 (There is a First and Second edition. Only the Second edition worked)

The Marelli system didn't work. Says N/A for all live data.

The F1 Gearbox System did work, but it doesn't give a clutch percentage readout. I found an article that said to use these two parameters to determine clutch wear:

1. Self-calibrated closed clutch position
    2. New closed clutch position

You take #2 divide it by #1 times 100. That told me my clutch is worn 69%. That sounds about right as my mechanics computer showed 63% about 2,000 miles ago.

24. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Calculation of clutch wear percentage for Ferrari 360/430:
    Autocalibrated closed clutch position - NEW closed clutch position / Clutch thickness (8.5mm for 360, 5.6mm for 430) *100 = % wear on clutch

Kevin

25. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Guys wear calc was discussed in detail from post 49 .. just scroll back

kes7u likes this.