This Man Owns The World's Most Advanced Private Air Force After Buying 46 F/A-18 Hornets | FerrariChat

This Man Owns The World's Most Advanced Private Air Force After Buying 46 F/A-18 Hornets

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by NYC Fred, Apr 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Wade, Island Time and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    That's pretty amazing! I think it is cool if you just have an old ww2 warbird .

3. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    I had no idea a business like this existed. Wild.

tres55 and LARRYH like this.
  4. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    J E A L O U S

What a cool business!

5. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Yeah...and from the article, looks like the guy's qualified to fly everything he owns.

Talk about making a hobby a business.

TexasF355F1 and NürScud like this.
  6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Navy and AF discovered it is cheaper to have someone else do the adversary mission rather than do it yourself.

7. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Huge difference between flying one and using one. The navy contract requires a weapons school grad or 700 hours air to air fighter time. Dude can own all the planes he wants, doesn’t make him a fighter pilot. All the posing in front of his planes won’t change that. Then again, maybe he is...article doesn’t say. That’s said still cool of him to make it work.

8. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    "Dude can own all the planes he wants, doesn’t make him a fighter pilot. All the posing in front of his planes won’t change that."

Wow.

tres55 and Boomhauer like this.
  9. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I know of the guy, he and his wife used to live here in Boulder. Does the fact he flew A-4 Skyhawks in the Navy make him a fighter pilot?

10. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Of course...but you already knew that...

Plenty of civilian guys flying jet trainers, or old warbirds, wearing their green bags and patches with all kinds of stuff, that will tell you they are fighter pilots. I fly with a bunch of them and some are friends. Many are wind bags. Modern jet fighters are easy to fly. My 185 is tougher to fly. Employing and continually training to be ready to employ a modern fighter as a weapon is a near full time job (near, being allowed here as we have some incredible folks who do this as guardsmen and reservists) and there is nothing easy about it.

I applaud this fighter pilot for making a successful business out of flying fighters. Well done!

11. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    He only bought 46 because 47 would have been showing off.

TexasF355F1, willrace and Boomhauer like this.
  12. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Just the one Hawk would do me just fine.

Boomhauer likes this.
  13. Ferrari_250tdf

Ferrari_250tdf Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    There was a company called Flight Service Inc. in the early 80s in Mojave Air Port. When I was traveling with two fellow students there back in 1982 in a rented Grumman Tiger we saw some Skyhawks and other equipment parked on the tarmac. Through some open windows we saw computers running (the big ones with the big tapes) and people working. We introduced ourselves and asked what they are doing in this company. Running test programs for the Air Force was the answer. They invited us in and gave us a tour. In the hangar was a beautiful whithe F 100 with dark blue or black striping. The plane of the owner of the company they told us. Very impressive! I still have some color slides about the place and the planes somewhere. So such business exists for quite some time.

carguyjohn350 and Boomhauer like this.
  14. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Several out there. Know a guy who was a pilot for this outfit.
    https://topaces.com/company

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  15. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    One of the few really cool things left in Illinois. :)

16. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #16 ralfabco, Apr 22, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    O/T. I read the Mig-15/Mig-17, is a real ***** to land.

You can probably buy a flying example for the same price, as a 360 Modena :D. I realize you need lots of jet time for the FAA to give you the nod. You could always hanger the item in some Third World **** hole and send autographed inflight selfies, to your friends. Don't need patches and a flight suit that is two sizes, to tight :D.

___

Enclosed, is a photo of a real pursuit pilot. 27th Pursuit Squadron. The chenille patch was not Made in China. My guess they did not have to attend and sign the attendance roster, for a sexual harassment and sexual orientation class.

Attached Files:

• 27.jpg
      27.jpg
      File size:
      68.2 KB
      Views:
  17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No, in that time period, they just had to endure pay cuts, slowed promotions, not much flying time, and no budget for new aircraft. Depressions suck.

18. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #18 ralfabco, Apr 22, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    true

Advantages and disadvantages.

At the time the Army did not understand the airplane weapon system.

I heard amazing stories from pilots who flew in the old days. The Twin Mustangs would collect Rum when they flew, to Ramey A.B. Plenty of other similar stories. Today, you may spend your entire military aviation career, with a single line aircraft. The 1950's ? Tac F-80C, F-84 plank wing, F-86A/E/F/H, F-84F, and the Century Series. ADC, F-86A/F, F-94A/B/C, F-89C/D/H/J, Dog Sabre, Deuce, One-Oh-One, and Six. Lot's of airplanes in one decade.