Carlo Durante, Ferrari master technician RIP 4/10/2020 | FerrariChat

Carlo Durante, Ferrari master technician RIP 4/10/2020

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by f355spider, Apr 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I am sad to report that Carol Durante passed this morning at home, with his family. I'm in shock and like many, have enjoyed the camaraderie of hanging out at Carlos shop, watching him work, and share his knowledge during tech sessions for the local Ferrari or Alfa Romeo clubs. He was so entertaining at club dinners and drives...regaling us with stories from racing teams, and famous car owners he knew. I am truly honored to have called him a friend. He and his wife Fatosh are in my prayers today. God bless you Carlo.

Your friend,
    Dave

05roadsterguy likes this.
  2. timr

timr Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Tim
    We have lost a true friend to the community. I am at a loss for words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. timr

timr Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Jdubbya, wiley355 and f355spider like this.
  4. wiley355

wiley355 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Wiley
    What Dave said. Carlo was a true gentleman - even though I never took my car to him he treated me like a customer and friend. He will be missed. I'd like to share a few images from my visits to his shop . . .
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    So sorry to hear this. He was not only a great mechanic but also a great guy! I thought he was gonna slap me on the back of my head like my little Italian Grandma did to my Dad when I put aftermarket shocks on my 308. Lot's of good memories!!
    RIP Carlo.

docster and f355spider like this.
  6. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    I remember the when I first took my 308 to Carlo after I had just purchased it. I wanted someone to look it over and fix any hidden problems. In checking around, everyone said Carlo was the man. He took the car and got it all set up and found some pretty funny fixes by the previous owner. My favorite was the water pump that apparently was connected to one of the hoses using epoxy. He couldn't believe that it hadn't exploded all over the place. Carlo ditched the pump and put in a big bearing 328 pump. My first upgrade before I had owned the car for a month.

Anyway, Carlo arranged to meet me at Southcenter to save me the trip down to Tacoma. I was hanging in the parking lot with my wife when I first hear and then see this red dart shooting through the access roads and then tearing up to where we were waiting. He pulled in to a space and got out of the car with a big grin on his face. He greets us and then, in his Italian influenced way, he said, "She moves-a like a cat!" I just loved that. He then proceeded to absolutely charm my wife, took me through what he had done with the car and then regale us with all sorts of funny stories. I think we hung out in the parking lot for a half hour.

I'd imagine everyone in the Ferrari community around here will have a great Carlo story. He definitely has left some big footprints.

wiley355, Jdubbya and f355spider like this.
  7. grngts

grngts Karting

Jun 22, 2008
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So sad to hear. Carlo was a very fine man, always willing to help. I first met a young Carlo in the 70's when he had his 250 GTE and worked with Pete Lovely.

Jdubbya, f355spider and wiley355 like this.
  8. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    A true loss not only to the small automotive world but the world itself.
    I have the most fond memories of Carlo which started when I purchased a Alfa GTV6 in the mid 80's.
    He was always very kind and would take time out of his day to chat and answer questions I might have. Always willing to give advise on your next purchase and encouraging me to buy that Ferrari "someday".
    I especially remembering bringing my son and his best friend into the shop and Carlo showed him a TR motor that was out of the car for maintenance. The boys were so excited and ere even able to touch it even noticing that the bolts holding it together has the Ferrari logo on them. They still have the love of cars today.

RIP Carlo
    You will be missed greatly.

BigTex, timr, Jdubbya and 1 other person like this.
  9. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    f355spider likes this.
  10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    When we picked up #22641, Carlo was mentioned as the "nearest shop" with the time honored appendage: "That really knows his stuff"....

Rest in Peace and what an incredible tale, of a life lived, risks taken, and glory won.
    That's probably as good as it gets, and looking thru the pictures of meals enjoyed, it seems it was!

Thoughts and prayers to all of his family.
    His name will live on.....

11. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Only got to meet him once. Condolences to family and friends.

12. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.

I remember seeing these two videos a few years back, I hope you don't mind that I share them here.

13. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    Very sad, My Boxer lived at his garage for 4 years early on! I spent quite a bit of time with Carlo and at the time worked with him to get healthier (a prerequisite for getting the boxer back together!)
    I will miss him and his friendship.