prices of Daytona Spyder "conversions" ?? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

prices of Daytona Spyder "conversions" ??

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Parnelli, May 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    To my (limited) understanding, 365 GTB/4 might’ve been first production (12 cyl.) Ferrari to feature fiberglass “tub” (=firewall, floor, cabin rear wall, rear inner fenders + boot/trunk front wall).
    This “tub” is/was made of 2 pieces with seam running (approximately) between A-pillar bases.
    Like anything else automotive made of fiberglass, they’re not known to “become brittle or deteriorate” expediently.
    If anything and in general, most sheet metal or steel structures near or next to them tend to corrode/deteriorate at faster pace.

Also worth keeping in mind that many or most U.S. delivery (& perhaps later non-U.S. ?) 365 GTB/4s were made with extra sheet metal trays supporting additional heat insulation (=asbestos sheeting) below the the fiberglass floor to alleviate excessive cabin/floor temperatures radiating from exhaust/mufflers.
    These insulation support trays were installed by welding them directly to the lower chassis/space frame structures prior to adding the insulation sheet, fiberglass “tub” installation and eventual body assembly. Looking up from under the (assembled) car these “trays” may give an appearance of steel floor mentioned in auction description.

Edward 96GTS likes this.
  2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #127 miurasv, Dec 29, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    275 GTB had fiberglass floor.

Below is a pic of a 330 GTC, which used the same chassis as a 275 GTB, being restored by Jaguar Classic. Click here and scroll down to see pics of firewalls etc.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

375+ and turbo-joe like this.
  3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    just had a look at the link - looks great ! ! ! :)

miurasv likes this.
  4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    375+ likes this.
  5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #131 TTR, Dec 30, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    Interesting.
    Having never had in-depth first hand coach work experience with nor need to research either, I didn’t know that, but not really surprised, especially about the 275 GTB.
    OTOH, learned something.

This picture might be a re-post, but here's the amount of fiberglass I believe most 365GTB/4 bodies were built with. Other fiberglass pieces not included in the photo are various cabin interior items, like the (2-piece) dash, front console section, door + several other interior panels., but there may be few other pieces that are escaping my memory at the moment.
    Photo copyright TTR (me)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

In my earlier post (#126) about the under the floor heat shield trays, I forgot to mention 3 other heat shields (i.e. asbestos matting) + their support panels which are riveted directly to fiberglass in the lower front firewall/ footwell area, two on driver and one on passenger sides.
    Viewing these from under the car may also add to illusion of steel floor.

Red Rocket and miurasv like this.
  7. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Red Rocket, miurasv, SCantera and 6 others like this.
  8. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Grant, fascinating Scaglietti pics..thanks for posting.Chuck ...Daytona Spyder Conversion 12883

9. bighitter2

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Did anyone look at the spyder conversion at Russo and Steele last weekend in Scottsdale? Any thoughts on the car?

10. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    No new yet?
    FGM

11. bighitter2

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Hey Frank PM me what do you think? Chuck

12. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    To be clear the Short Nose 275 GTB had a steel floor.