Great new Mondial article | FerrariChat

Great new Mondial article

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Matthew 6:19, Mar 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chris Mondi

Chris Mondi Rookie

Oct 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris Riedinger
    Nice positive article, the only thing I don’t agree with is:

“Prices are still reasonable, and the cars out there are almost always enthusiast-owned and as such, have been cared for without regard for expense.”

From what I’ve seen, 95% of cars available are ones that need extensive restoration/upgrades. The current cheaper prices are misleading. This will all change over the next 10 years as more of these cars are snapped up and restored.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    I agree. To find a well cared for and maintained one is harder than it looks.

paulchua likes this.
  3. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    The engine isn't in the "back", it's in the middle. This is a big deal.

4. Matthew 6:19

Matthew 6:19 Karting

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I think that's likely correct. I know there's always discussion of what they cars might be worth in the future; all I know is the 83 QV that I recently picked up will likely cost me at least $5-$7k more than I anticipated. Which also seems to be the experience of many owners. LOL. I feel I got a decent buy, not a steal. Looking forward to it being ready to drive this Spring and enjoying it!

2cam likes this.
  5. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    I agree with..."enthusiast owner, cared for without regard for expense" I am currently having the engine completely rebuilt which puts me totally upside down on the value of this car. I am this type of owner.

gsfent, read33, moysiuan and 3 others like this.
  6. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    I love to see articles about Mondials, but at the end of the day, this particular article is nothing more than a puff piece with several inaccuracies in it. I'd honestly be surprised if the author has even seen one in person.

2cam

TAS37 likes this.
  7. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    2Cam inspired me to actually read the article.....I got to the picture of the black 3.2 and didn't make it any further. Beautiful! I am now in dreamland thinking about the next Ferrari.....why not get another Mondial I ask myself. Black coupe with red leather? I know all the in's and outs, all the potential issues. Sounds like a plan!

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I remember one of those. :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

davem, jkstevens2, WilyB and 2 others like this.
  9. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I don’t care what they’re worth in the future or how much it costs me to maintain. This is the coolest car I have ever owned and at the present time I don’t see myself ever getting rid of it. It’s a true old school Ferrari.

10. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    I can, and do, work on my Mondial. Mondial owners can work on their cars. Owners of newer models mostly can’t. This fact will cause Mondial prices to increase. Well-sorted Mondials are underpriced now - but prices will catch up.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    In my case both are true. The car I bought needed a lot of love. However, I have put a ton of money into it and if I ever sell it, the new owner would be getting a fully sorted car plus ultra! But I prefer to keep it. :)

Matthew 6:19 likes this.
  12. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Black coupe. Red leather. ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

jkstevens2, WilyB and JLF like this.
  13. Chris Mondi

Chris Mondi Rookie

Oct 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris Riedinger

davemqv likes this.
  14. Chris Mondi

Chris Mondi Rookie

Oct 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris Riedinger
    And that’s exactly what I’m talking about. I bought one that needed lots of love as well. Mine is almost back to new condition. As more of us scoop these up and resto them, the prices won’t be at 30-40k anymore.

davemqv and Matthew 6:19 like this.
  15. Matthew 6:19

Matthew 6:19 Karting

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    davemqv likes this.
  16. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It is.

17. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I always joke about having the most expensive Mondial in the world. I paid about 25k for the car. I've put more than that into restoring it.

18. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    Ditto. Car runs well too!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    If you enjoy it, it is worth every penny!

I don't know why people seem to fixate on price/value. It's worth what it is worth at any given time. If you like the car, you simply pay to play.

Regards,
    Jerry

20. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    I always enjoy a nice "puff piece" about our Mondials. It makes me feel like we are ahead of the curve in appreciating what these cars are. But as was pointed out, some of the niggling inaccuracies - boot "between" the cabin and engine - does call into question whether the author has actually driven one. There is nothing about its road handling or ride in relation to the other v8 models of the era. The "longer" body was not just a benefit to put in a couple of almost rear seats. So the article is not really for the enthusiast. After all, this is really a sales site so they are trying to drive customers to cars of which they have quite a few mondi's listed.

Some of the details show that they did do some research and from that standpoint, I did learn a few things. Given the upside down shape of the world at the moment, I'm not feeling too good about our cars ever gaining in value economically. At the moment, classic cars have no value at all...you cant drive them and you cant eat them. Most of us will always end up seriously under water with expense to what we will be able to sell them for. But then, despite what I told my wife when I bought my Mondi, I did not buy it, nor do I keep it, for an investment. It is all about the driving and the feel and the sound and the subtlety of this car compared to all the other Fcars or exotics. We keep them and maintain them because we love the ability to get in and start them up and drive them and enjoy them, not be garage queens, or part of our estate portfolio..

We here on Fchat are definitely "enthusiasts". So I do feel we try and maintain them as required so would be a good source for the cars. However, we dont want to sell something we love and know. To paraphrase something from another context, my mondial will only be sold after they pry the keys from my cold, dead hands.

read33, Wade, Allen S. and 1 other person like this.
  21. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    What is the mileage and reason for the rebuild. These are robust cars. I sold my 308 with 124000 miles and it was still running strong.

22. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    SirDewar likes this.