360 - Sport Mode Question | FerrariChat

360 Sport Mode Question

Discussion in '360/430' started by Neil22, Apr 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    Quick question about sport mode - do the ECU's have to be ready before this option can be used?

I did a lot of work on the car over the winter and the batters were turned off. Repaired the upper dash leather.
    I have not driven the car or completed the drive cycle, but was going through all the functionality and found the sport mode indicator light was not working any more. It was working before I started the work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Perfect question. Will be glad when someone answers this as I have the EXACT same problem after doing same dash removal but I removed the center tunnel as well as dash and thought that I must have failed to reconnect a portion of the tunnel harness. I have driven my car a lot sense and still no Sport Mode light. The dash switches are all connected and even swapped the switches around to test them and all are OK so not a bad switch.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Are they actually going into Sport or not or is it just an indicator problem?

4. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    Don't think its going into sport mode -

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Oh man, chasing electrical gremlins, my favorite. Sounds like you both need professional help to trace where things went wrong.

6. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    The sport mode switch is wired into the dash- it’s the dash that sends a message over the CAN bus to put the other modules into spot mode. So, if (unless you’re bulb has gone out) the build isn’t illuminated, then you don’t have sport mode.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    The Sport mode switch is wired to the suspension ECU, then the output of the suspension ECU is wired to to dash.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    It's not so difficult to follow and to investigate.

peterdavid911 likes this.
  8. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Ahh, my bad. So it is possible to be in sport mode and just not see the announcement on the dash?

9. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    For the suspension, yes.
    For the other ECUs, no. As you said, they receive the mode info through CAN message sent by the dash.

10. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    so the question is if the ECU is not ready will allow the car to enter sport mode?

11. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Which ECU ? Engine ECUs ?
    The fact you have not driven the car or completed any ECU learning cycle have nothing to do with your Sport mode problem.

Just do some basic voltage measurements on suspension ECU to trace the issue.

12. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    I had turned off the batteries to do the dash work so I was thinking it was an Engine or some other ECU ready issue -
    I did some basic stuff checked the switch / jumpier the switch out and still no sport mode?

The ECU is not reporting any errors and I put a diagnostic tool on to check for any codes there are none

I will try to do some basic ECU wire checks but its hard without know what the voltages at each wire should be not sure what I am looking for?

EastMemphis likes this.
  13. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    You can try toggling the switch. You don't have to know the voltages, just look for the change in state.

14. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    Is there a fuse?
    Checked the wire from the switch seems to have continuity

15. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Do the following measurements (with key in position II) :
    1 - At switch level, between brown/white wire and ground, you should read 12V in Normal mode and 0V in Sport mode. If OK skip to step 3.
    2 - At suspension ECU level, between brown/white wire (pin 9) and ground, you should read 12V in Normal mode and 0V in Sport mode.
    3 - At suspension ECU level, between white/orange wire (pin 15) and ground, you should read 12V in Normal mode and 0V in Sport mode.
    4 - At instrument cluster level, between white/orange wire (pin 12 of 20 pins connector) and ground, you should read 12V in Normal mode and 0V in Sport mode.

16. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    Eric - thanks for the reply - so I followed your instructions and i aways have 12 V at any of the points above.
    I my car the switch wire is orange - could be faded see below.
    I tested the ground its OK - checked with the switch is seems to work correctly and I jumper the switch out just to verify and always have 12V on the orange wire?
    I also pulled the suspension ECU and check for continuity between the Orange wire and the 2 places you mention above at the ECU - don't seem to have any continuity back to the switch
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    Thank you everyone who posted -
    Found the issue - when I put the dash together I used the wrong plug - the pictured plug above is for EU cars that have a switch where in the US version there is a blank cover but the harness still has wiring.
    The plug for the sport mode is black and has the correct colors Eric mentions above.
    Problem solved

brogenville and EastMemphis like this.