458 - What's a fair (pandemic) offer for this car? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 What's a fair (pandemic) offer for this car?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ModerateMike, Apr 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
  2. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    Wait, things are going to get a lot worse before they get worse especially in the US, $150k will be a very good buy, don't pay more!

* Lots of exotic car owners will be dead at the end of this year, and lots of cars will be waiting for new owners!!! .. SO SAD BUT TRUE!!, as for now, plz stay safe everyone!

This virus will change the world of exotic cars permanently!

ChipG likes this.
  3. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    You may want to put the tin foil hat away. This is not the end of the world and 2021 will bring tremendous wealth when the market recovers.

4. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    It will never recover, and it's not the end of the world but it's the end of an era!! .. A new era has just started, everything will NOT be the same!!

5. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    let me guess, you also believe this is from the rollout of 5g?!? Things will absolutely recover. The market is already showing some signs of recovery. Just as after the 2008 recession there will be tremendous wealth next year. As for deaths of exotic car owners you may want to read this from the CDC
    "We have limited data on 2020 deaths by cause, and no final official numbers yet for 2019, but we do know by looking at the final death totals in 2018 for the two leading causes of death in the U.S., Heart Disease and Cancer, there is no way that at this point COVID-19 comes anywhere close to those totals," Lancashire said in the email.
    He noted that between January and April in 2018, more than 234,000 people in the United States died of heart disease and nearly 199,000 died of cancer.
    So far during the coronavirus pandemic, there have been about 16,700 Covid-19 deaths in the United States, according to the latest data from Johns Hopkins University.“

Shark01, NYC Fred, Ash Patel and 2 others like this.
  6. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    That has served me well over the years. If it’s right, you’ll know it.

A year from now you’ll be loving the car and not wondering ‘what if’.

RWC58 and SAFE4NOW like this.
  7. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Ice cars will stop being made soon so fill your boots with the best of ice cars, enjoy the heck out of them while you still can!

8. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Now THAT end of an era I can agree with. Hybrid and full electric will be the future, so I agree, grab an ICE and enjoy it.

9. mustangtornado

Dec 19, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jay
    As long as the market continues this type of recovery, no one will be giving 458s away. A racing seat spec is particularly hard to come by. Too much interest in 458s right now and summer coming up. Too much wealth still out there, this is not a sub 200k car.

hardhattg, Graz, Randyslovis and 5 others like this.
  10. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Agreed, everyone I'm speaking to is still banging on about the 458 and I don't think that is going to stop, it's will probably get even more popular when ice is stopped. Low mileage spiders here in the UK seem to be down by about £10k nothing more

11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Relax, you couldn't be further from reality. Besides most people who have these cars dont have to sell let alone give away anything.

TeKNiC3, Ash Patel, PTG1 and 5 others like this.
  12. Mikes90ef8

Mikes90ef8 Karting

Oct 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    MM
    for what it’s worth ,
    get a load of this cars carfax ...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  13. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    Typical. People often give links to these low spec and/or bad history cars, some asterisk that makes it so low, and compare it to a proper example (low miles, high spec) - “see look how cheap they are, I’m right they are 150k cars now!” Ugh. It’s like pay attention to the headline, but don’t look under the covers where the truth exists. Not knocking the person who posted, they may/may not have seen, just saying.

Just like the person posted above - they were looking for a specific spec, and when they found it they pounced. I did the same thing. If people are so concerned about value, the answer is to buy the most widely appreciated specs possible, they will command a premium for you, and when you sell it.
    If you want a 150k 458, sure they are out there, go nuts, enjoy. Just don’t say that’s the norm, that’s just giving people bad advice.

14. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    If the car market was just responding to the virus I might agree with you. The problem is the exotic market was eroding prior to the pandemic and will continue after we get back to normal. Look what McLaren did with the 675LT. Pricing was reduced from initial estimates and they cut production to 675 units (rumors are they may go down to 399). You read here where Pista’s are available at MSRP and buyers are not taking deliveries on the F8s. All of this will apply more downward pressure on the secondary market, even the 458s
    Good news for the secondary buyers

Astrid.Didier and ChipG like this.
  15. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    I will throw this out there but the mileage is going to be the factor, but I have more options.

I purchased a 370k sticker 458 spider same color but cuoio interior with 38k on it for about 157k in September last year. Every carbon option but door panels, thresholds, and a carbon piece in the center.

somewhat wholesale If you ask me as it was not detailed and had a few minor issues such as needing service of fluids etc... clean car fax and no major flaws such as dents or scratches that would not buff out.

Rory breaker likes this.
  16. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    That’s a great example of a 150k 458, makes total sense. Bet it’s a blast. Mileage stigma will go away as people realize more and more these cars aren’t built like 80’s Ferrari’s. My opinion obviously.

DefunctNeurons and DoubleD33 like this.
  17. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Very true, Pete. According to european-wide renowned platform Autoscout24, 458s for sale keep shrinking in terms of numbers, to the point that there are little over 300 for sale across the continent in that platform, and over 520 488s for sale right now.

Out of curiosity, I contacted a Ferrari dealer about a 458 Spider I quite liked. They’re willing to talk, but they gave me very little room, even in this economic environment. They basically said “we can talk but we aren’t pressured. It’s a nicely spec’d 458. If we don’t sell it to you, we’ll have a buyer next week or the week after”. They didn’t seem concerned to me, and pointed me to a 488 Spider instead, although with considerably more mileage and a bare to the bone spec, for 20.000 EUR more.

The virus won’t be the end of the world. Even if certain things in society won’t go back to being what they were, there’s a lot of money to be made once the pandemic is over. There will always be wealth, which is less vulnerable in crisis than other sectors/classes in life in terms of purchase power. In my personal case, I would only part ways with my 458 or my daily driver BMW if I needed the money to eat.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Mikes90ef8 and mkraft3003 like this.
  18. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    If it ticks all the boxes for you then you should go for it, and in almost all cases you should be able to get within $5k of the best deal possible. If the prospect of being upside down by that amount is a hardship then you should not be looking at a car that could hit you with a service bill for that amount. Enjoy the fact that you found the car you want for a big discount off new and stop focusing on the last dollar. I think many people try to manage the anxiety of reaching out their comfort zone by trying to get a mostly unobtainable price. This is where the ever popular value thread starts:(

19. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    so this car has accident on carfax?

20. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    It's not the 2008 recession, it's DEATH!! ....A true tragedy!
    The world CAN'T recover from "102.734+ deaths in a few weeks" unless we were empty with no feeling!! .. And again it's not 2008, it's 2020!!!

21. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    Not sure on the OP s car.

The car fax posted was for an EBay Comparable which may not be so comparable.

22. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015

The more you use exclamation marks in your sentences, the less likely people will take you seriously. I think.

I am an emergency physician as part of this pandemic, seeing people drop like flies, I also don't think this is the end of the world or apopcalypse. What I really think is the car in Newport beach is almost as awesome as my grigio titanio.

what is the exact asking price?

23. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Thank you. Getting back to the car.

Driving to the hospital for an emergency in my 488 with the top down makes it worthwhile. If it’s my time related to helping others for those 10 minutes all is forgotten. It’s the space between that makes it worthwhile.

There will be deals. At 200 plus, the 488s will be just above the 458 soon. This car will not be your last hopefully. What is the utility of the 20k difference to you. If high, pass and wait. If low, buy and don’t look back. Whatever you do, it will be worth less with time. It’s the memories you’ll create with that money that are the real utility.

Pictures or it didn’t happen

Shahaf and IloveGT like this.
  24. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    (So, you are an emergency physician and you are seeing people drop like flies) >> What a respectable way to describe the death of your own people! I don't know where you come from anyway! Whatever!, you really need to learn to show respect to those who've lost loved ones and you also need to know that people are not flies, Mr. Emergency !

25. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Drop like flies is simply a common phrase meaning so many people are dying. There is no need to take it figuratively. I am sorry if you took it personally, especially if you have loved ones affected by this sentence. Nonetheless, my patients know what kind of doctor I am and I am confident and happy with that. So there is no need to even defend myself about what kind of doctor I am with an alias on an internet forum.

But I must say that you need to reach your conclusion with more substance and sophistication. You cast your stone too fast in your house of glass. Being a keyboard warrior is not a healthy way of living and so is endlessly calling the world is ending, when it's not.

This is my last response to you, if you continue to attacking my being of a physician.