For Ferrari 488 GTB/Spider owners | Page 2 | FerrariChat

For Ferrari 488 GTB/Spider owners

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Hendry2019, Jan 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Did you modify your 488 exhaust?

1. Yes, I’ve opened the valve permanently

23 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. No, I like the stock sound.

41 vote(s)
    51.3%
  3. Yes, but installed a switch to turn it on/off

15 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Yes, I did but did not like it and reverted back

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. Kenny Glorioso

Jan 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Kenny G
    Install a valve controller. My wife and neighbors like it quiet, car guys like it loud. It's only $1k installed. A no-brainer easy mod.

Mighty Joe likes this.
  2. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Did you do it yourself or have the dealer do it?

3. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Dealer opened the valve for me before I got the car. I don't even know what it sounds like closed.

Cigarzman likes this.
  4. Kenny Glorioso

Jan 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Kenny G
    I had an independent shop install my controller. He'd previously installed one in his Pista, which made mine much easier. Good thing, because he tore his Pista apart before he found the wiring harness. Try to find someone that has installed in a similar car. The dealership may not install a controller because they typically don't like to install aftermarket parts. If the dealership will install a controller, the project will be $2k, not $1k. In any case, install a controller rather than keeping valves always open. Your wife and neighbors will appreciate the valve controller!

Mighty Joe likes this.
  5. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Ha...no doubt!

6. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    I had a 360 and installed exhaust valves controller, which were easy to install the wiring harness clips.

I had a 458 and installed exhaust valves controller, which were very difficult to install the wiring harness clips.

I have a 488 but opted to not install exhaust valves controller because the rear bumper has to be removed for the wiring harness clips. Because this was a new car, I was not keen on removing any body panels, so the dealership I bought the car from plugged the vacuum lines. No error codes and warranty is not affected. The car has a very nice (not too loud, not too quiet) exhaust burble when coming to a stop.

As Garthbo (post # 22) the cold idle sound is fantastic!

Mighty Joe likes this.
  7. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I may give this a go... Thanks for posting..

8. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    The old change the car your warranty is void game. There was a time on this forum that even changing wheels was an act of heresy. I don't know how things work with warranties, dealers and the law in your country OP, but here after everything I have done to cars no dealer has ever denied me warranty. As for what you should do, I have installed the switches in my cars before, (I personally would change out the whole system rather than a switch but my 458 is not my loudest car and that is not its purpose (remember every car I have must have at least one purpose or it gets replaced). If you like the sound do it.

9. itsasickness

itsasickness Rookie

Dec 11, 2016
    I had the dealer open up my exhaust permanently on my 488 Spider when I took delivery so never had a chance to hear it with the valves closed. There are some early mornings when first starting that it seems a little loud for my quiet neighbourhood. Other than that it’s all good.

10. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    Hi Joe - if yours is a 458 I can give you some tips, specifically a miniature pair of needle nose pliers and if you have medium-large hands, go slow and be patient.