F12 handling | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F12 handling

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by theV12Guy, Apr 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    For me it would depend on where in the 52 weeks of 2015 and what my plan is for doing the TPMS.

2. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    IMO, 5 years is too old. Not really worried about failure (although risk is probably somewhat higher), but more the fact that the rubber has lost its pliability and grip is really reduced. Given the value of the car, a new set of tires is relatively cheap. And you will get more enjoyment out of the car.

Along those lines, tire technology continues to constantly improve. The latest iteration of the Michelin PSS is the P4S, which I have on my m5. A fantastic tire. I’m not sure, but I think they are available in the correct size for the f12. If so, that would be my choice.

johnr265 likes this.
  3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I wanted to get a new set this season so looked into it here and I think the consensus was that because of the K ratings and width variances the stock MPSS was still the best choice for me. I don't think 5 years is too long for safety but performance yes. In this instance we don't know if its 4 years and one week or 4 years and 51 weeks anyway. However, I would still time the replacement with TPMS replacement to limit extra trips to the service center and risk of rim damage.

johnr265 likes this.
  4. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    the front wheels show 15 week of 2015 and rears 32 week of 2015
    what is this TPMS replacement? i've always just reused the same sensors

5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Nothing special just batteries crap out over time. I was thinking about doing the sensors with the tire replacement to avoid having to go back and redo a wheel again. My tires are older than yours but in great shape.

6. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    Good point about the TPMS sensors...fortunately I have my own race shop and we have tire mounting and balancing machines, so I guess I'll just wait to do mine. Does anyone know what the normal life is for the sensors?

7. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    Just checked tirerack.com, and unless I'm reading it wrong, the sizes for the P4S are an exact match for the MPSS..... the width, diameter, revs per mile as well as the recommended wheel width range are identical. In fact, from a physical standpoint, the only difference I see is the tread depth on the P4S is a little deeper.

Obviously, I'm not privy to the details of Ferrari's selection, but I would bet that if the F12 was being produced today, it would come on P4S tires...

Cheers,

Ron

8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Thank you for the update!

9. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Mine rarely last longer than a year. Tires that old are probalby dangerous due to lost grip. The car that killed Paul Walker had 10 year old tires.

x z8 likes this.
  10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I dont think the weeks of 2015 would make a huge difference today. They are basically 5 years old. If its 5 years and the car is driven hard all the time (lots of heat cycles) then that is different to 5 years and the car sits mostly in a climate controlled garage. The prior means you should change them, the latter means they might be just fine for another couple of years. I have gotten up to 10 years on a set of TPM sensors, but if its 5+ years Id probably change them out anyway. The sensors are fine, its the batteries in the sensors that go.

Solid State and MDEL like this.
  11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Hold on there a bit. The K1 MPSS you see with the shallow thread depth, is not the F12 tyre. The K1 in the 315/35R20 is the 599 GTO tyre. The K2 315/35R20 has a full tread depth of 9/32" as opposed to the 7/32" of the GTO tyre. The GTO tyre also has a softer compound and wider tread.

Now the K1 315/35R20 is the 812 spec tyre, and will work fine on the F12.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    Got it, good,info. As far as tread depth, not sure if 1/16 of an inch overall is going to cause issues for most street driving. Certainly, the sizes are close enough that I would suspect the electronics ( abs, stability control) will function properly.

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Actually the difference between the GTO and F12 tyre is 0.2" of tread. The GTO is basically a shaved tyre. The MPS4S have 17/64" of tread, so the difference between the MPS4S and the F12 tyre, is of no issue. But the GTO tyre has definitely proven to not be the best tyre in the wet. But this also has to do with the fact that it has smaller grooves for water displacement. The GTO is a pretty special tyre and fairly hardcore for what it is.

Don't worry about the ABS/ESC. It can handle a much bigger difference. As an example, it has to be able to work with tyres worn down on one axle, and fresh on the other. As an example, I've seen F12 users who run the TDF/812 tyres, which run a much bigger front.

A set of 255/35R20 and 315/35R20 K1 MPS4S is a great match for the F12, and will work fine in all aspects.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I just put these tires on my F12, night and day from the stock Pirellis. Also lowered about 1/2" so less body roll.

15. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I’ll second that. My wife’s 2010 Cali has just come out of winter layup and the TPMS wouldn’t calibrate. My indy said one sensor was dead and the others were down to c.7% battery. Sensors were replaced and all is fine again.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Turned spring perches?

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Yes

18. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Any noticeable compromise in ride quality?

19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I haven't driven it yet, I am now having it detailed and coated. I will report back next week.

20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
  21. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Thank you, looking forward to it.

Gh21631 likes this.
  22. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    I changed out my stock tires to Michelin P4S. Wow- what a transformation. I went from too much wheel spin to essentially none. The car has to be dramatically faster with the superior grip. I highly recommend this switch- even if you don’t need new tires.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  23. mthompson2376

mthompson2376 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2017
    North East England
    Full Name:
    Mark Thompson
    Put simply, if you are a skilful driver the F12 is perhaps one of the most highly rewarding cars out there on the right side of ‘scary’ fast, if your not then you will never get the most out of it and could be frustrating to own, if so, probably need to look to the more new Generation cars with rear steering, new electronics etc. Totally different experience but something is lost in the advanced capability.

I have an F12 and daily drive my GTC4Lusso, (an 812 GTS on order), I know they are different in terms of purpose (and really love my Lusso, and loads of threads on how all round amazing and compliant these are) but genuinely prefer the F12 as it is more of a challenge to drive.

It always takes me a few drives to adjust back to the F12, I have to consciously remind myself it’s not the Lusso and much more respect is needed, but way more fun when you get there.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Yumeoikake and Caeruleus11 like this.
  24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I did the same but haven't had a chance to drive it yet, hopefully this week.

25. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    I need to bring the 812 by for this. Looks good

How long did that take? Did you have to align it as well?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Thecadster likes this.