Panic buying a 308 during the pandemic! | FerrariChat

Panic buying a 308 during the pandemic!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Jack.pe, Apr 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack.pe

Jack.pe Rookie

Apr 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jack Pegoraro
    Hello all, I missed out on panic buying hand sanitizers and instead, three nights ago I ended up buying a Ferrari 308, at an online auction, unseen and with roughly two hours preparation. Thank you, I am indeed a genius. I present to you the InfluEnzo:

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I don’t actually have it yet due to the lockdown. With fees I paid £34k. That would have been an ok price in a normal environment but really I should have got it £30k all in for it to have by chance of not losing me loads of money when the world ends and I come to sell.
    Car is high mileage, 80k miles, left hooker originally from Holland. Was registered in 81 but is probably an earlier production as still has the single exhaust. It is a Weber carb car not the later injection ones.
    Was bought at high risk, in the excitement of the moment I forgot to do the most basic checks. Mot history and HPI. but since I’ve found more info and it mostly looks like it’s not a total dud. Does obviously need some attention though.. will update you when car is delivered this week. In the meantime here are a couple of youtube videos that detail the story of how I came to buy it.

Dane, djs308, Portofino and 2 others like this.
  2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You ae hearby absolved, Bless You my son...you have chosen wisely.

The single exhaust denotes and early car, and luckily the Euros were NON CAT thru the entire carbed production run.
    You stole it, but somewhere an ex wife is dancing naked on your money!!!

So there's good, in both sides of this!!!
    Here's the ex wife......maybe you need her shirt into the deal.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The later style reverse lights would be the only thing pushing the manufacture date forward in time.
    Last year of single exhaust??

I would wager a 1978 maybe 1980 at the latest.....do you know the VIN?
    Surely that's in the info somewhere....we can peg it close from that!!

Welcome to the 308 Brotherhood, and here's the nurse to wash the virus off......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dane, greg328 and EastMemphis like this.
  4. Jack.pe

Jack.pe Rookie

Apr 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jack Pegoraro
    Bless you father! I have indeed sinned.. but am going I’ll get away with it!! Update coming soon!!

5. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Funny finding you here... I came across your You Tube video earlier today! Cheers to ya! :D

Dane likes this.
  6. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Very cool. Congratulations!

You'll love it.

Dane likes this.
  7. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Have fun mate - welcome to the asylum

Dane likes this.
  8. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Welcome and Congrats! Post more pics when you get it.

Dane likes this.
  9. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Did you previously have an Intergrale?
    Theses carb Ferrari’s are so analogue incredibly simple mechanical wise and easy to work on .
    I like the single exhaust.
    Knack with theses is originality so do a survey when you get it ....it’s doesn’t look molested .

I bought a GT4 , 208 Italian import on U.K. plates in 2018 at Historics auction for a snip .
    Being ex Italian it’s got zero corrosion .Came with a recent Joe Macarri SH
    How ever as soon as I drove off I realised the suspension was shot .It needed re bushing / rebuilding .
    £800 in parts from superperformance and about £2K in labour from my local spanner man , all of them A arms , drop links , shockers sway bars ....whole lot of bushes .

You will immediately know as soon as you drive it if the suspension is shot .

Fluids are all easy to do .
    I,d do an oil change as with carbs and a lot of short starts ( unable to get up to temp ) there’s a significant amount of oil dilution from the excess fuel swilling about , gets past the rings and dilutes the oil down because it’s not getting hot enough.

Do the gearbox / transaxle

10. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Looks nice. Check fuel lines too of course ;), add a decent Hawaii shirt and you are good to go!

11. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I saw that and thought about bidding. At £34K it seems like a good buy - if you don't like it then sell in on for no real loss, if you do, put some money in and make it nice.

Not really sure that 80K miles is high for a 40 year old car.

12. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    Well done!
    love the influenzo reference

Dane likes this.
  13. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Hi again Jack! It's your rival bidder, Tom :)

Interested to see how it progresses, fingers crossed there's a quick fix for the whole 'not starting' thing.

14. Jack.pe

Jack.pe Rookie

Apr 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jack Pegoraro
    And to you, thanks!
    Thanks, I’m sure I will!
    Indeed! Hopefully more sexy nurse asylum than straight jacket!
    Update video up in next post
    I did indeed previously have an integrale!!
    Thanks for the advice!

Working on it, thanks!
    It’s not high.. only by Ferrari standards!
    Thank you !!
    ha!! See the next post.. with video update!

15. Jack.pe

Jack.pe Rookie

Apr 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jack Pegoraro
    Here is the next update chaps.. it was all looking a bit grim for a bit but I managed to take car out for a quick spin to sainsburys since this video and things are looking brighter!!

Dane, Aus_yz and mcimino like this.
  16. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    What a wonderful toy to be stuck in lockdown with!

Portofino likes this.
  17. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It sounds like it need a good old Italian tune up. Keep us posted on the details on the smoke after you get a chance for a nice long drive or two.

18. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    You should ignore any MoT failures due to parking brake and emissions - these cab cars won't pass emissions and run properly. The parking brake is marginal even when properly adjusted.

If you take it to an MoT station that 'understands' these issues, they won't dirty their emissions machine and they will overlook the handbrake being useless. It's a 40 year old Italian car and it wasn't built to modern standards. Ferrari lied when they submitted the emissions data (just like they lied over the horsepower). In a couple of years (when it's 40 years old) it won't need an MoT so it won't matter anyway.

A smoky engine is not good news: as a minimum it needs heads rebuilt (£4k?), but possibly a full rebuild (£10k+). If you get into that you will then have the 'improvements' dilemma.

19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    As it goes, smoke off throttle = valve seals, guides. Smoke on throttle = rings. Good luck. Look like it smokes most when you rev it.

20. Renato

Renato Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2013
    New York
    Congrats! I’ve really enjoyed your videos btw.

21. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Congrats on the compression test. Just saw your recent video. Rebuild those carbs and drive it like you stole it.

308 milano likes this.
  22. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    I used to use a couple of 'friendly' garages to get my car through the emissions. But I rebuilt the carbs last year and it passed the emissions without a problem. I only asked for them to be tested to see if my work had made any difference.
    The car is running the best it has in over 20 years of ownership. The rebuild kit I used was about £60 for all 4 carbs - it was a nice job to do over the colder months. An ultrasound cleaner makes life easy.

I had the rear calipers rebuilt a few years back (by Bigg Red). Even with new pads adjusted to within an inch of their life, the handbrake can only defeat gentle breezes.
    My car was first registered 1/1/81 so next year, as you say, MOT's will be a thing of the past!

23. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Loved the video! Big congrats!