F430 start switch out | FerrariChat

F430 start switch out

Discussion in '360/430' started by steelecampbell, Apr 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steelecampbell

Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2020
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    steele campbell
    Hi there! I am new to Ferrari's after years of Porsche's so be gentle with me. So here's the skinny, I have a 2007 F430 Spider, love the thing! Put like 3,500 miles on it so far and well, it's a blast. Everything was going great until one day out and about and came home. When I went to tuck the car into the garage for the night went to hit the start button and nothing! Yikes! So, thinking it was the battery I pulled it and found the battery was not 100% and 6 years old, so replaced it. Same results, no start. Had the car towed to the independent Ferrari shop here and he says that it's the electrical switch inside the steering wheel. Not the red push button start button but a switch in the wheel.

So, here's the question, has anyone else had this trouble? If so what did you do to fix? The shop tells me that Ferrari does not sell just the switch, rather, the whole wheel. Yikes! There must be a different way to go, I mean the switch cannot be more than like $100 cost. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks mates!

hessank likes this.
  2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Welcome - you could try looking in the 430 section where if anyone else has had the issue there'll be a thread

Also others will know better than I but it doesn't sound right that the starting electricals are in the steering wheel

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    When you turn the key does every thing else look normal ? You would expect the start button to go to the starter motor solenoid. Look in the handbook for the location of the fuses and check them out first. Starting is not normally a problem, old batteries are but you have a new one

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    According to the owners manual page 93/94.
    Behind the seats you will see a shelf where a lot of the fuses and relays are mounted- remove the cover and note different screw lengths
    Starter motor fuse is 30 amps and marked as PSF 14
    Starter motor relay is 30 amps and marked as PSR 6
    Behind the battery is a mega fuse in the alternator to battery line, this line then connects to the starter motor.

cavlino and F430101 like this.
  5. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
    Could be your coil spring in the steering. Does your horn and manniteno work when the ignition is on? Does the light inside the Engine Start button light up green?

Try moving the steering wheel n see if it helps

6. steelecampbell

Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2020
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    steele campbell
    Hey there and thanks for the responses! So all the fuses are good (checked them) and lights come on everything. The shop can jump the switch inside the wheel and wala it works fine, so it's the switch. But, Ferrari does not sell just the switch just the whole wheel and we are talking CRAZY money, in in Ferrari money. I suppose I could go on eBay and buy a used one or search out via the wrecking yards who might have a wheel to sell or someone willing to part with just the switch. Crap!

7. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Have you tried to determine exactly what component (switch, slip ring, some little spring) has failed? I suggest doing that before doling out any "CRAZY money." It is likely that whatever isn't working can be coaxed back into shape with a little tender care.

RANDY6005 likes this.
  8. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I would pull the switch out and look for any identifying numbers and google them. You may find something from another brand or the manufacturer itself.

RedTaxi likes this.
  9. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I may have a spare start switch for you to try from a steering wheel project.

David

10. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    I had the identical problem with my 430. Put the key in and everything seemed normal. Pushed the start button -- nothing. After going through all the trouble shooting ideas in this post, the conclusion was that it had to be the start switch. I heard the same story. Ferrari does not sell the switch as a part. You need to buy a new steering wheel. Lots of $ and lots of time.

Here is how my problem was resolved. To get to the faulty switch, the air bag had to be removed. There was no access panel or "trap door" to the switch. So the plastic area around the switch had to be cut out with a small xacto blade. The switch was then removed from that hole. Luckily, a steering wheel from a demolished 430 was located. Using the same xacto technique, the switch was removed from the donor steering wheel. That switch was then installed in my car and the plastic hole was sealed. Air bag was reinstalled and now switch works fine. Let us know how you fixed the problem.

cavlino likes this.
  11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Do you have a pic of the switch assembly ?

12. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
    We swap these switches over all of the time and can be easily exchanged with common tools.
    1. Disconnect Battery
    2. Remove the 2 T25 security TORX securing the airbag, lift off and unplug.
    3. The steering wheel center plate is pressed into 3 prongs into the hard rubber of the steering wheel housing. Use a pry tool from one of the top corners pulling towards the driver easily working the plate off.
    4. disconnect the small sub harnesses for the plate that lead to the start switch side and mode switch side. ( can take a picture to make sure all is reconnected accurately.
    5. remove the 2 phillips for the outer plastic housing around the start switch. feed he harness through the accent hole
    6. start switch is secure by a plastic or meal retaining nut depending on the production era, loosen with pliers.
    ..Installation is the reverse of the removal, start switch is indexed to the aluminum housing on a pin so it will line up correctly on its own.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

cavlino, van22, RANDY6005 and 3 others like this.
  13. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I may be wrong but I thought he said it wasn't the push button but a switch inside the wheel.

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    An id marks to see if it is a common part used elsewhere

15. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Only other switch inside of the wheel is the Manettino mode switch. Not sure that would effect starting.

David

16. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I agree I didn't know what was meant by that. I had you guys make my wheel and I didn't remember any other switch in the wheel. I figured he was talking about something possibly in the column.

17. steelecampbell

Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2020
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    steele campbell
    Hi all, thanks for all the help here, it was the switch (not the start button), I was able to track down a spare switch from a wrecking yard and wala, works fine now! Thanks again for all the help and information.

18. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Which actual switch was it and do you have a pic and any id info

19. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    Steele, glad you solved your problem. In an earlier post on this thread I should have been clearer. Like you, my problem was not the red button but was the switch in the wheel.

20. F430101

F430101 Rookie

Feb 29, 2020
    That is very helpful to know thank you

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. steelecampbell

Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2020
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    steele campbell
    Hi all, so the car works fine now, the shop found a switch at a wrecking yard, as I was told by the shop it was not the red start button, rather it was another switch inside the wheel. They didn't take a picture of it for us to see, sorry to say. So all is well that ends well and I have my F430 back in the garage and ready for tooling around. Thanks for all the ideas and help here, really appreciated!

22. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Just to avoid any confusion here, the pic posted by autowerks above showing the start button and the switch with the short wiring is not the part that you have replaced- but a different one- why would they have 2 switches to do the same job. ?
    Can you get onto the shop and get a pic of the switch they say they changed

23. Storrsboy

Storrsboy Rookie

Dec 20, 2021
    Full Name:
    Bernhard Singsen
    I live in Central CA, cold (about 34 degrees) this morning, key on, all tests 'ok', but my f430 starter button did nothing. My first thought was, cold causes plastic and metal to shrink, perhaps it's just not making contact. Let's open the garage door, use sun to warm the area. Presto, two hours later, the button works fine. I spent several hours on Ferrarichat while waiting, and found all sorts of expensive, and/or complex, 'solutions' to this 'problem'. Thus, don't forget that cold shrinks things.

Red 27 likes this.
  24. Storrsboy

Storrsboy Rookie

Dec 20, 2021
    Full Name:
    Bernhard Singsen
    I live in Central CA, cold (about 34 degrees) this morning, key on, all tests 'ok', but my f430 starter button did nothing. My first thought was, cold causes plastic and metal to shrink, perhaps it's just not making contact. Let's open the garage door, use sun to warm the area. Presto, two hours later, the button works fine. I spent several hours on Ferrarichat while waiting, and found all sorts of expensive, and/or complex, 'solutions' to this 'problem'. Thus, don't forget that cold shrinks things.

25. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    In post #12 the picture looks like the switch with the red button on top. I would guess it's not the start button failing, it's the switch right behind it that the button pushes on.