FC weight loss/life change/fitness challenge thread. | Page 39 | FerrariChat

FC weight loss/life change/fitness challenge thread.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by darth550, Jan 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Jason,

I see you everywhere my friend. Keep up the good work! Do you do weight training at all?

2. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I had to revive in this thread as I was just thinking about it. Christmas of last year, after some feasting, I hit 250lbs. This is the number I hate. Now I will tell everyone that I have a wide frame and 6' 1" in height roughly. 250lbs does not excessive for me by any means. However the new year hit and I thought I will get back into working out. Once the break up happened it was a good way to keep going and stay busy.

Thankfully my last weigh in is now putting me at 215-220lbs. I am aiming for under 200lbs by June 20th.

The other day (sunday) I hit a total of 12.5km of running and biceps. Today my plan is shoulders and triceps with weights while also hoping for a cardio of some sort for 45 minutes - 75 minutes. Depending on how I feel.

Good luck all and kick some tail.

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Everywhere? Not really, maybe a few people tag me in photos on the FB. I haven't gone out much lately. lol

Thanks Tamas. I've gotten off my routine a bit, including cardio and diet has been hit or miss, but still hovering below 145. I do do weight training. Have never stopped in over 10 years I've been working out. I now just do lighter weight instead of trying to go heavy. I focus more on contraction.

That's good to hear! You're making lots of progress. Just keep doing what you're doing and the weight will keep coming off. But don't forget, the scale doesn't always tell the story, if you're not losing weight but looking more trim you're doing good.

4. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

I'll chime in.
    May 10, 2019 = 200lbs
    July 13, 2019 = 170.2 lbs

Goal is to get to 160lbs by end of July or mid August. Then maintain, doctor said at 200lbs my BMI says I was obese ( although most of it was my fatty gut ) , now I've gotten back to the overweight level. According to my BMI 158lbs and below is the normal range. Sounds too skinny to me, btw I'm 5'8.5".

I've gone low carb/sugar and increased my veggie intake and drank nothing but water ( at least 8 glasses per day ). Portion control also ( eat half my lunch and save the rest for dinner) I walk at least 30m/day and most days I do that three times. The last two weeks I've added lap swimming for 30m and just shooting hoops for an hour. I feel the drastic change in my eating/drinking habits is what helped the weight loss versus the cardio. As you can see it's not real intense cardio I am doing but I've steadily lost 2+lbs each week doing this, July 4th week I dropped 3lbs to my surprise ( I think I walked all day on July 4th, at least 4 workouts that day )

What made this go around work versus others? My blood sugar was real high according to my latest test and my doctor gave me a wake up call along with educating myself. So my life longevity is what is fueling this and boy is that a motivator!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Ricambi America likes this.
  5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

^ Keep up the good work! Changing your lifestyle rather than just 'going on a diet' is a powerful force.

6. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glad this thread popped back up! Curious what rowing machines you guys recommend. After three ACL reconstructions, knees just don't allow impact (or even moderately heavy squatting), so I have resorted to high incline walking on a treadmill for cardio. It's not ideal. Rowing sounds like it might be a great option.

7. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    rowing machines are great, but form is key to sticking with it without back pain.
    A key to a good stroke is using legs for 75% of the stroke.

8. azzurribaggio

"The force is strong with this one"

9. azzurribaggio

Three reconstructions? Brother I feel for you, I only had 1 when I played in a soccer league....that 8-10 months of rehab SUCKED!!! Same knee?
    Have you tried lap swimming? Easy on the joints.

10. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Thanks, man. Had two back-to-back when I was 18 playing soccer. Snapped the left, surgery & 9 months of rehab, 3 weeks back, snapped the right. Repeat. I knew instantly and that was a pretty crushing moment.

Then, at ~24, broke the graft in the left side playing ice hockey, which is supposed to be nearly impossible. Thankfully, things advanced and the rehab wasn't quite as bad by that time, but as you can probably guess I was fresh out of patellar tendons so they used a hamstring ligament. I don't know if they even still do that procedure. 22 years later, my heel still kicks a little when I walk, but no big deal.

Swimming is fine and a great suggestion, other than having to leave the house to go to a pool and a general disdain for being cold and wet. I really just don't enjoy it.

FWIW, squats were fine up to about 225, at which point the left knee starts to burn fiercely inside on the first rep. Below that, I could rep as high as strength would last. That was 6 years ago. Then it started burning at 205. Then 195. Then I got the hint. Now, I stick to relatively light (1-1.5x body weight) deadlifts and won't go past 10 reps. I tell you this last bit because this is the reason I think rowing would be ok. Basically, at this point it's a race between the MTBF of artificial knees and my life expectancy. It's cool, though. Others have it a LOT worse. :)

11. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    What can't you do?

12. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ