Windshield Wipers Going Bonkers | FerrariChat

Windshield Wipers Going Bonkers

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by metaldriver, Mar 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    I took a road trip in my 488 and upon start-up at one of my stops, the generic electrical system malfunction icon was illuminated on the left TFT display. This has happened before, perhaps there was a voltage blip in one of the many ECUs, so because it did not appear at the next start-up, I thought nothing of it. I drove the car the remainder of the day with no issues.

The next day, I started the car and with no input commands from me, the windshield wipers were going bonkers! After many frantic pushes on the steering wheel button, the wipers returned to their normal rest position. Upon start-up at the next stop, this happened again. Driving home I encountered rain, but despite pushing the steering wheel button to turn them on, the windshield wipers did not activate. I had to make another stop, but when I was finished, the CAR WOULD NOT START despite several attempts pushing the red button. I called a friend for a ride home, but ten or so minutes later, I tried again and the car started and the windshield wipers were again going bonkers, eventually stopping.

I made it home and parked the car in the garage. A couple of hours later I started the car with no issues, but I did not attempt to turn on the wipers. A few hours after that, I took the car for a spin (upon start-up the wipers were behaving normal). At the gas station, outside of the car, the wipers turned on by themselves. I managed to stop them but on the way home, they again turned on by themselves.

I read the owner’s manual but do not see any reference the ECU which manages the windshield wipers has an “interlock” to prevent the car from starting. Although the car is less than two years old and purchased new from the dealership, I’ve heard that a “fresh” battery could be the culprit.

Has anybody experienced a similar situation in their 458 or 488, and if so, was it the main battery or one of the many ECUs? The rain sensor failure icon did not illuminate.

2. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    #2 AlfistaPortoghese, Mar 16, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    Andy,

First of all, sorry to hear about your troubles, namely on a long haul trip.

Although the cause may lie elsewhere, symptoms definitely fit in a bad battery/fuse/relay scenario, but I’m sure you’ll get extra feedback from more mechanically inclined members than myself.

I’ve had my 458’s battery go all weak on me and throw a lot of false error messages, but never had a palpable “hardware” malfunction such as the wipers going bonkers. In my case, it was just software, bells and whistles.

In my case, solved with a new battery (old one was 4 years old).

What MY is your 488? Does it still have the original battery installed?

Kind regards,

Nuno.

3. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    One of the guys at cars & coffee had this same problem on his 458 Speciale. If I remember correctly, I think he told me that it needed a new wiper motor. I remember that because I thought it was a very strange symptom of a bad motor. But then again, I'm not 100% that I remember correctly.
    Sorry I can't be more help. I hope you get it sorted out soon

4. metaldriver

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    Problem was traced to the battery. Car was purchased new (comes with a Fiamm battery, which some question its durability) and was replaced with an Interstate battery because I was not patient to wait for an Odyssey battery. Despite the alternator delivering the proper voltage, the battery was a tad under spec. That was just enough to upset the ECU which controls wipers. Ferraris can be like a mistress … finicky but beautiful. :D

up4speed and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  5. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    It is actually your car telling you that it does not like the rain. Did you use to have an NSX MANY moons ago? I would strongly recommend going to a Li battery. My 458 battery would constantly be on the edge despite being on the charger even after installing a new one. After the initial start, it would be fine until next time. Switched to Antigravity Li battery and no issues, started the car after 2 weeks of just sitting and started immediately with no hesitancy.

6. metaldriver

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    Hi Tim - yes, that is me from NSX Prime.

My 360 had the original Fiamm for several years before it failed, and I replaced it with an Interstate.

My 458 had the original Fiamm for several years, but the dealership proactively replaced it with an Interstate.

My 488 had the original Fiamm battery for less than two years, so the dealership replaced it with an Interstate.

My GTB is a 2018.

7. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I had the interstate installed by dealer,, lasted a year but never worked well. Replaced with the Sears Diehard Gold, worked well for 6 months and then started to sputter. Replaced with the Antigravity. Better than the others when they were new.

8. metaldriver

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    In other cars, aftermarket batteries work well, so why is Ferrari so persnickety regardless of which battery … factory or aftermarket?