Testarossa Oil filter | FerrariChat

Testarossa Oil filter

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by bimota44, Jun 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bimota44

bimota44 Rookie

May 13, 2018
    Saw some comments that the Ufi 23.192.00 filter can be a problem and 02 is recommended.
    Is that still the case?

Anyone have experience with the SGP (superformance brand) filter?
    Or the Hifi filter equiv which is sold for tractors?

Thanks

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If you've gone thru the old threads, the two problems with the typical "tractor" filters have been: 1) reduced inlet area (fewer inlet holes) and 2) lowish outer case pressure specs (working and burst). Do you have any specs?

3. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I was at Ferrari's service / parts location on Via Emilia Est in Modena this week. Apparently UFI is making TR filters again. I was offered some, but have a stash I need to use up first. Good news for those of the TR persuasion.

Makes me wish I did not buy all that NOS filter inventory at a premium. I guess I have some driving to do....

4. bimota44

bimota44 Rookie

May 13, 2018

Were they 00's or 02's? I was told the same but they were 00's.

5. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    What does the 02 fit? I was unaware of the two types, but was assured they were Testarossa filters. I will confirm.

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #7 Steve Magnusson, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    00 has the shallow, soft D-ring gasket (I prefer to put this gasket in upside-down with the curved side against the engine flange).

02 has a harder, deeper-groove rectangular gasket more like every other modern oil filter.

Otherwise, they are identical and for TR (but 02 is a better gasket design IMO).

7. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    OP started this thread couple years ago asking if anyone had experience with SGP filters. I am wondering too. Search yielded no other results for the SGP.
    Just got one delivered today. I would say the construction/build quality is just as good the UFI. Same hefty feel to it.
    Got it from AWItalian who said they've sold over 100 with not one complaint. Superformance UK also has them and they don't sell junk. Anybody here use them?

8. EDoug

EDoug Karting

Apr 19, 2005
    Southern Florida
    Steve M, I just purchased an 02 filter from Ricambi a week and a half ago for my 86 TR. Comparing it to a used 01 filter I keep around, in addition to the rectangular profile of the gasket which I too believe is more stout, the eight small holes on the 02 are larger than the 01. I am assuming that the 00 and 01 hole size are the same?? E. Doug

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Can't comment as I've never seen an 01. Didn't/don't think that 00 and 02 had different size inlet holes, but I haven't seen an 00 in a long time.

10. EDoug

EDoug Karting

Apr 19, 2005
    Southern Florida
    Steve, I ran out of my supply of 01 filters that I bought from Shelton F in Ft Lauderdale back in 2004. Best I remember, the 01 was Ferrari's fix for blowing out the seal that was being experienced, at least that is what the Shelton's parts guy said. I remember back when seal failures first started to happen. Mine never had that problem, but my local F dealer had no solution nor did Ferrari at the time if I did. My local F dealer parts manager cut apart some filters to look closer at the gasket channel, and in the interim gave customers a small tube of crazy glue with each filter back then. If I knew how to insert a photo, I could post a picture of an 01 next to an 02. Smaller inlet hole size, and also the D-ring gasket as you call it. Thanks, EDoug

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Then good thing that they quickly moved to the 02 design, and glad that I never had an 01 ;)

turbo-joe likes this.