458 tail lights - 488 style overlays | Page 3 | FerrariChat

458 tail lights - 488 style overlays

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ray Wellington, Feb 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I will go to my xpel guy next week and have these cut out with xpel instead. I was told that the bubbles is most likely due to the material not breathing.

As I am the first one here in Sweden asking about this, it will be around 150 EUR cost for the pair

2. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Definitely not adding glue or anything to the original tail light, i wouldnt' have bought them if i knew they would be so crappy- I sent the seller a message on Sunday letting him know they are bubbling and so on, and haven't gotten a reply so far.

3. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    As I said in my prior post:
    “I can’t imagine putting a sticker on a $200k car is a good idea”. Oh well at least you guys tried.

Napoli and Ash Patel like this.
  4. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I will do it but with xpel instead designed and cut out by a professional who does wrapping work for Ferrari (authorised dealers) in Sweden.

up4speed likes this.
  5. stevdug

stevdug Karting

Feb 4, 2019
    Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    What will provide the light diffusion, or are you putting the xpel on to just protect the tail light?

6. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    Unless it’s literally 100% invisible to the naked eye in full daylight, not for me. I actually don’t see the big deal between the 458/488 lights anyway, both are fine.
    Either way OP tried to make something, liked it himself, some folks ventured out to try it and it didn’t work...no biggie on OP’s part, they tried. Better than making no attempt.

up4speed likes this.
  7. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    he will make some sort of copy but out of xpel instead he told me. No not to protect the tail lights but to have the same effect as OP created

8. stevdug

stevdug Karting

Feb 4, 2019
    Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Interesting to see what he comes up with I thought the object of xpel was to have an invisible protective layer. To get the effect Ray came up with will require a material that diffuses but does not block too much light. I have no idea what product Ray was using but I had searched prior to this thread for a product that would achieve the same result on one of my other cars. I looked into several options but never found a product that had the great mix of diffusion and transparency.

9. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    At first Ray didn't tried to sell us anything, just shared his idea and "prototype".
    We were interested with cause it is pretty cool, now it is not an industrial nor an extensive R&D product, it is just a home made overlay!
    My fifty cents is you are a bit hard with Ray guys!
    Now if some of us can upgrade this to a better product you are welcome!
    Bests,
    P.

Ash Patel and up4speed like this.
  10. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I totally agree with you.

11. stevdug

stevdug Karting

Feb 4, 2019
    Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I looked back through the posts and I don't think anyone is bashing him. It is disappointing that some are having issues but, as several have commented it's not a big deal. I had a good experience working with Ray and am happy he rolled this out. Also agree if someone can come up with a fix or improvement great for all. I think this is a cool little mod, and to each their own but I love it that some like to tinker with the car and share those ideas.

alibo70, Rory breaker and Ash Patel like this.
  12. stevdug

stevdug Karting

Feb 4, 2019
    Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    OK, super cool ! How did you modify to get the 488 lights to work?

13. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Wont window tinting film work?

14. stevdug

stevdug Karting

Feb 4, 2019
    Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I don’t think so, you need something that distorts the light and blends the individual led light output together. Many of the oem led accent lights that appear as a solid line or halo have a diffusing layer built into the lenses to achieve the look

15. Artem

Artem Rookie

Jul 7, 2019
    Russia
    Full Name:
    Artem Tarasov

This is difficult to do, but it is possible) You need to merge 2 cases, the upper part with an electric board from 488 and the lower part from 458, since it is narrower in the mount. Then the seam on the body was hidden under carbon

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

veilstylez and PTG1 like this.
  16. RT777

RT777 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2020
    Full Name:
    Roy T
    Hello Ray, are you still making these?

17. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed