F1 2020 Delayed: News/updates / is there hope :) | Page 12 | FerrariChat

F1 2020 Delayed: News/updates / is there hope :)

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Mar 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    and naked men in saunas as well!!!

Spent three weeks sailing the Stockholm archipelago, awesome country and people!

2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Yes I have family there. Sister. Im always happy to be there :)

3. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Sister?...you do know that is wrong...even there LOL ;)

4. DF1

She knows just a few 'blondes' :)

A348W likes this.
  5. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/148958/brawn-closeddoor-and-twoday-races-possible-in-2020

Formula 1 boss Ross Brawn confirms races could be run behind closed doors when the 2020 season finally restarts, and that consideration is being given to running into next year.

Last month's Bahrain Grand Prix was due to run without spectators before it was postponed, and the strategy is likely to be employed as part of the effort to encourage an early resumption.

Although the French GP on 28 June is currently the first scheduled race, Brawn conceded that July is a more likely time to start the season, and that it would probably be in Europe rather than a rescheduled flyaway event.

He believes that there is still a chance to run as many as 19 races - and that even a start as late October could allow for the eight races required to qualify for an official World Championship.

"Obviously travel for the teams and travel for everyone involved is going to be one of the big issues," said Brawn on Sky Sports F1 Vodcast.

"You could argue that once we get there we could become fairly self-contained.

"Our view is that probably a European start will be favourable, and that could even be a closed event - we could have a very enclosed environment, where teams come in on charters, we channel them into the circuit, we make sure everyone is tested, cleared, there is no risk to anyone and we have a race with no spectators.

tifosi12 likes this.
  6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Kudos to Ross Brawn for thinking outside the box!

Bas and DF1 like this.
  7. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Is F1 refunding the GP hosting fee? And are they paying the track owner on top of that? Tracks make more by selling tickets and merchandise (or renting concession areas). Have to make track owner / promotor whole or they won't buy in...

8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    From what I read from many different sources, the world is divided in 2 camps:
    - on one side those who are optimistic believe that life will return very progressivelly from the middle of this year, allowing activity to be normal towards the end of the year.
    - on the other side, those who think even 2021 can be written off, as it would be unrealistic to expect re-openning the borders and allowing flights and free movement until Covid-19 has been completely erradicated in every country.

We don't know yet if in future some countries will allow visitors, nor if travel insurance will be granted until a vaccine has been found.
    This pandemic has cost some countries £billions, and I don't think they will take risks in future.
    Coronavirus has a huge impact, and we cannnot measure yet the medical, social, economical, and political repercussions.
    There will be a post-Covid-19 era, and it may be different from the world we knew before.

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm a bit in the middle: I think this will come out like 9/11. Yes the world has changed since then but not in a dramatic way. We take airport/airplane security more serious and protect our buildings but otherwise life went on. I see a similar thing happening here eventually: We might use hand sanitizer everywhere and have toilet doors that open without touching a handle (I was hoping for that for a long time already) and we might no longer shake hands (also fine by me) but life overall will carry on. And in the fall we will be offered Covid-19 shots, which in five years many will not do as they don't believe in flu and pneumonia shots either.

DF1 and william like this.
  10. DF1

The science yielding cure/effective treatment(must be timely to prevent dangerous development -pneumonia), and vaccine will dictate much of the shape of the new world - so called. The powers/money/technocrats who own the influence are in the most hurry to gain what was lost/go back to the old way. But with a twist - needless expense on office space can be reduced. Less spending for roads if you have less traffic etc etc. Those cost reductions will be evident in the shape of moving forward. I think automation will be accelerated as this cost savings imposed by lockdown becomes evident to profit focused operations around the world. They are paying employee's not working. Hard to miss that cost factor. Politically those operations will gain more power in government as they are bailed out. So to counter that will government be able to make sure those bailed out redevelop and retain workers etc. Lots to debate in terms of how this will look no? :)

I think in some ways what is new after this recedes will not be as friendly to normal persons.

william likes this.
  11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Regarding work from home: Yes I can see that companies will be more open to that and use less office space downtown. So while everybody is happy to become able to work from home more often, I think on the negative side there will be the "hot bunking" models: When you are in the office downtown you get a temporary space for the day. Next day you'll get a different one.

This model isn't new. I believe IBM tried it. Personally I would absolutely hate it. I love my desk and how I set it up. I'd rather never work from home again than facing "hot bunking" (or hot cubing/desking whatever).

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    We used to accept vaccination as essential to travelling in the past.
    I remember having several vaccines when I first went to Africa as a child.
    Nowadays, we accept flights form most countries, without even enquiring about the health of passengers!
    Also, vaccination was compulsary at school; now parents demonstrate against it!

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    If I make it through this I will become a vaccination addict. Promise.

william and DF1 like this.
  14. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

And less non-essential flights will be better for the planet :)

DF1 likes this.
  15. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Except private jet use will increase...

I seldom fly private,... but when traveling with my family,... the extra cost will be easier to justify now.

16. DF1

Yes its a nice option. I can see governments restricting this as well. I see more 'scrutiny' of those aircraft and passengers coming not less potentially. The cost of the 'pandemic' will be notable in alot of circles.

william likes this.
  17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Sa-weet!

My luxury is business class on long hauls. Never flew private. Must be heaven.

18. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    We (used to) live in a world where every able bodies person is supposed to do something productive in order to survive, put food on the table, clothing,.....

We are now in a transitional world where, if we really wanted to, we can produce everything needed to be produced, finance it, transport it, inventory it, account for it, retail it, sell it, and consume it--using a bit under 1/2 of the total number of people in the world. We were already facing this question before the pandemic.

What are we to do with the old mantra in the scenario where 1/2 of the worlds population is not needed to work?

ago car nut likes this.
  19. DF1

Oh I place great trust in our overlord Billionaire Master Plutocrats to provide for us all lol :)

20. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Put it on the list of be careful what you wish for.

Much like after flying business it's difficult to go back to coach (especially on long haul overnights)... Private is a whole other level.

Don't get me wrong... I can't afford private from Miami to Rome. That's a huge premium over biz class... but private to the Bahamas from south Florida, or eastern seaboard domestic often isn't a huge premium over 4 biz class tickets... Can't do it every time,... but the wife will be looking for options.

tifosi12, Bas and DF1 like this.
  21. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    We already do that in the US. when it comes to growing crops and cattle. Very small percentage of our population feeds us plus surplus!

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Once I got a ride in a small plane. Short hop for half an hour, nothing special. But: The arrival at the destination airport made all the difference: Away from the masses, individual passport control, in and out in 5 minutes.

Simon^2 likes this.
  23. Keep in mind flying private has another wonderful perk: you can fly with your dogs.
    You should see how many people fly their dogs into my local airport-- sometimes with just a dog sitter, not even the owners!

For long hauls, I would take an over-the-top first than fly private.
    But that's a moot point, as I absolutely hate flying either way... :)

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1
    It's not that I hate flying as such, but I dislike airports, flight delays, lost luggages, etc ...
    I did put up with all these inconviences when I had to fly as part of my job.
    I gave up flying 10 years ago, and only travel by car nowadays.
    My next plan is to drive from London to Istanbul.
    It should be quite a trip !

25. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003

I don't mind flying--:p

What I hate is the::
    a) Departure Airport
    b) TSA
    c) having to waste an hour after TSA before flying
    d) baggage claim
    e) Arrival Airport
    f) and the other passengers on the plane.

When I started flying there was no airport security to speak of. There was a time one Sat at the Frat house where we got drunk and drove to the airport at 2AM and played hide and go seek for 2 hours in a completely empty airport ! You would get shot if you tried that today. I used to walk out on the runways to great my father climbing down the ladder off the plane.

Flying has been ruined...........Watch the movie "The high and the Mighty" too see why.

Today, I will drive for 3 days to avoid having to fly. I can make any stare except Main and Alaska from my home in Austin.

william likes this.