Tuned Nissan GT-R couldn't pull ahead of me today | FerrariChat

Tuned Nissan GT-R couldn't pull ahead of me today

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by SB27, Apr 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Man, was he pissed.

With the Novitec piggyback, I actually could pull him from about 70-130 MPH.

Sorry no video but it was interesting to see our "not really a Ferrari" hang with a likely 650HP GT-R. I think both cars weigh about the same (~3800 lbs).

2. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    So which California do you have? What mods besides Novitec? I am looking at ecu tunes and piggyback boxes and you are the first person I have found on this forum who might have any feedback on any of these.

3. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    #3 SB27, Apr 5, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    I have a 2016 T with the MagneRide suspension. The handling speciale package was not an option on the 2016. It came out for 2017 (maybe some late 2016's could get it ...don't know).

Improvements and comments:

1. Did the Capristo exhaust first. Better sound. Also added the remote to control the valves (quieter/louder) but then something interesting happened.

2. Did the Handling Speciale OEM upgrade package from Ferrari. 16% firmer Springs up front / 19% in rear. The HS package comes in a 4 foot square wooden box. There is a lot in there for $12k. New transmission shift point (crisper) included which I am enjoying and the package also included the sport exhaust (hence the need for a box -- and for the 4 new shocks). My dealer installed the HS package and the techs installed the parts of the sport exhaust that connected to the Capristo system. Together the sound is deeper and simply awesome. I cannot express to you how much better it sounds. Of course, the handling of the car is way better and you do NOT lose the plush ride when you push the bumpy road button.

From Car and Driver re: the exhaust components in the HS package:

In back, the standard mufflers are replaced with straight-through pipes attached to a Helmholtz resonator, an acoustical box that diminishes undesirable noise while helping to shape the outgoing harmonic frequencies. The effect is a sharper roar, an average of three decibels louder across the rev range. Inside, there’s a dash plaque, while on the outside the grille and rear lower valence are rendered in accent-color gray to give the car a more purposeful appearance.

Again, my dealer techs kept the straight pipes and resonator but somehow connected it to the Capristo exhaust (I think...I could be wrong here...others can explain in more detail where the factory exhaust upgrades "stops" and the Capristo system "begins"). Together, it sounds perfect (to me).

3. I sent the car to TAG to do the simple Novitec piggy back system. I just wanted more "488 like" power. And I got it. However, it does NOT feel like a tuned car where all the power comes on all at once and it feels inauthentic. Whoever designed the Novitec system did an amazing job. It makes the car come out of corners with far more torque / purpose. The biggest change is that the power band in the middle of the range 2.5k to 5.5k is now outrageous. Love it.

All in, your are looking at $25k of materials and labor. These cars are depreciating like crazy but I didn't care as I love my color / original build and now getting the car "just right" has been amazing. I intend on keeping the car for years if not decades.

Hope this helps.

tomc likes this.
  4. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    The Novitec is supposed to be switchable through the manettino (different retailers have conflicting information). Comfort,Sport,ESC Off-where do you get stock power and where do you get extra power?

5. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    I was not aware that the power difference was managed through the Manettino setting. Let me chat with TAG to see if that is the case. I always leave my car in SPORT mode and then use the bumpy road button to soften dampening when driving around town.

More later after I talk to TAG.

6. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I think you will find that Comfort has stock power and the other two give you tuned power.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  7. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    You said the GT-R couldn’t pull ahead of you.

That’s not the issue.

Even if he could pull ahead and blow you away, he would still be driving a Nissan, basically a glorified Datsun, and you’d still be driving behind the wheel of an almost new Ferrari.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

8. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    LOL

The point of the message was that a tuned California T can hang just fine in straight line speed with some of the other tuned non-Ferrari brand cars.

I don't think any of us are confusing our cars with Nissans, Chevy's, etc. Those cars are just fine but I agree they are not Ferraris.

The second point of my post was my surprise at the above.

9. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Confirmed with TAG/Novitec that standard power remains in Comfort mode. Tuned power is on for Sport and ESC Off.

I recommend keeping it in Sport.

:)

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I have to ask you something. What year was that GT-R, and do you know for a fact that it was tuned and by how much? I'm actually not a GT-R fan, but this much I do know. A stock 2012 and up GT-R will not pull or walk a Cali T. It will absolutely obliterate it. While I'm well aware that the Novi box adds a bit of power, even with the added 90 hp, the Cali T is still a two tonne Hector. Does not take much GT-R tuning to get things back to square one. Add 90 hp to that Nissan, and you are looking at the same picture. Love or hate the GT-R, but it is a pretty fast car even in stock form. Even if the Datsun had been a pre 2010 model, with say an added 125 hp, a piggybacked Cali T will still have its work cut out for it.

Too many unknowns here.

Glad you had fun though. That's the name of the game.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    That's all fine and dandy, but I have experienced it personally. We did about 6-7 runs. The Cali T I drove, was not even close. The GT-R was a stock 2014 model and the Cali T was a stock 2016 model. The GT-R left the Cali T for dead at any speed.

13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I don't doubt your experience, but I trust the V-Box even more.

fil likes this.
  14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    A nice way of calling me a lying ****er eh.

Believe what you want.

15. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    It looked like a 2017 or newer GT-R. Actually a pretty color (similar to chalk in Porsche colors).

It absolutely did not have a stock exhaust hence my assumption it was tuned. The amount of black smoke coming out of the back when he hit it made me laugh out loud. And the sound was similar to a 1950's Electrolux vacuum cleaner. Terrible.

No sure what to tell you but I stayed right next him from 50 to 160 MPH.

I have not dyno'ed my Cali T since the Novitec Piggyback. As you said, I imagine it's putting down 640-650HP. That's a butt dyno though.

A quick Google search revealed the current GT-R and Cali T are almost identical in weight at 3800 lbs. That surprised me. I would have guessed the GT-R was 300-400 pounds lighter. Apparently it is not.

And, yes, it was most definitely a lot of fun.

:)

16. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I would never call another member a liar, let alone an esteemed contributor like you. What I am saying is that multiple instrumented tests, conducted by professional with pristine test cars, under controlled conditions, is a more reliable indication of performance, compared to a road race between two random cars and drivers.

17. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    C/D tested a California T in June 2015 and weighed it: 4064 lbs (full tank).