F8 vs Pista sound | FerrariChat

F8 vs Pista sound

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by LMH, Apr 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LMH

LMH Karting

May 5, 2019
    Spain
  2. LMH

LMH Karting

May 5, 2019
    Spain
    Interesting specially as F8 has GPF and Pista doesn’t

3. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    But how do you hear it, seem to just be an image

4. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    I don’t have an F8, but I’ve heard one. Difficult to tell. I feel like the Pista, at least under load, is louder. Either way, although the Pista sounds exceptional compared to other turbo charged cars (GT2RS, 720S, etc) it actually sounds mediocre when compared to a Ferrari NA V8 or V12. It is what it is. I love my Pista though.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

F12JAJ, LMH, Gh21631 and 1 other person like this.
  5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Sole reason I sold mine.

6. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Heard both IRL at WOT, Pista sounds better.

Interesting comment above regarding the GT2 RS, my friend's RS sounds pretty good for turbo.

sl1200mk4 likes this.
  7. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    leopoldo and C50 like this.
  8. PistaGuyAZ

PistaGuyAZ Karting

Apr 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan Woon
    I own a Pista. Spent time in an F8. The F8 is much quieter. It’s not even close. I’ve heard both cars WOT from the outside too and the Pista is much louder. I also have videos on my IG from inside both doing pulls.

F12JAJ, LMH and leopoldo like this.
  9. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    That's why we got an 812. What the Pista lacks, the 812 makes up for in the sound department. Good complement to the TTV8.

Caeruleus11, RayJohns, gabf1 and 5 others like this.
  10. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    100% agreed. :)

11. islandtrader

islandtrader Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2013
    No comparison, Pista sounds amazing at idle, F8 is extremely quiet compared.

Pis7a2020 and leopoldo like this.
  12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    The only reason an F8 would sound louder inside than Pista at low speed is due to the piped in sound, and even then we are splitting hairs (I've driven both cars - own Pista).

Having a valve controller in the Pista it is certainly louder than an F8 inside at low speeds when the valves are held in open position. That is 100% for certain.

The problem for Pista has always been that during low speed, off throttle, light throttle, and low engine loud situations that it is way too quiet inside for the type of car it is. No argument there. That is why I would recommend a controller for every Pista as std equip. Ferrari should have provided a button to push to open the valves up as Porsche do, and have once again failed miserably to provide such basics especially given the type of car it is.

Ferrari is a long way behind Porsche in many areas and that shouldn't be the case given their knowledge in racing and sports cars. Disgraceful really. I put it down to the customers willingly putting up with the BS for so long due to brand loyalty rather than calling these problems out loud and clear and demanding change. Especially for the money they/we pay. It's ridiculous.

13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #13 Shadowfax, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    My thoughts exactly. My 2rs sounds angry all the time - low or high speed. Certainly sounds tougher and angrier than my Pista from behind the wheel. It feels savage like a beast and gives you the impression this beast needs to be handled with care. It's only until you get up Pista that the volume comes anywhere close to the 2rs's. The Pista does sound very good though when you're on it I will say that much. No issues there at all. Credit should be given where due. It sounds very nice. Problem is, is when you're not up it, it sounds like a ***** cat.

The 2rs and Pista also deliver two different sound experiences in terms of tone, volume, and crescendo. To say which is better is highly subjective and a tough call imo but I will say the 2rs sounds generally more purposeful in intent and, is quicker to get angry no matter what the speed or rpm, and that is an area where Pista has failed to meet the very high bar the Germans set with the 2rs in that area.

From the time you turn the key in the 2rs you know you've awoken a beast....a very angry one. And that feeling stays with you throughout the entire journey until turn that key back off again. OTOH with Pista, over the course of the journey there are times where you feel you are just in a regular car.

Surfah likes this.
  14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    It is because at idle the valves are open. Move off the line into any form of coasting, low load, or light throttle, and they are shut.

15. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    My F8 should be here this week. I have 2 questions. Dealer thinks they can pin the valves open like in a 488. Is that true? I thought I read that you couldn’t do it to an F8 without screwing things up. Second question is, my buddy just added Novitec exhaust to his Pista and I’m sure it sound pretty solid. Shouldn’t the F8 sound the same with the same exhaust, right?

16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Head tech here says not possible on F8 - I've stated his reasons in past postings - but by all means test it out and report. Pista sounds solid enough stock on throttle and, with a controller the valves can be held open during the problematic quiet times when the car is being driven slow and/or off throttle etc. A friend of mine has a Kline on his Pista and loves it but says the car is still too quiet off throttle so again I believe only a valve controller can provide for that unless the valves are pegged permanently open which is not advisable on this car. I would imagine the same would apply to an F8 in the event my tech is proven wrong and the valves can be overridden. Best of luck.

458-Italia likes this.
  17. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Shadow has the best source which says its a no go pinning the valves on the F8. Coincid's Canadian dealer says different. With F8's being delivered its a matter of time before this issue is clarified by an owner who attempts it.

And the F8 will never sound as good with the identical exhaust because it has GPF and the Pista does not. Until a designer finds a workaround solution and then one runs the risk of messing with the GPF mechanicals and possibly voiding warranty.

Ash Patel likes this.
  18. LMH

LMH Karting

May 5, 2019
    Spain
    You will need to go on his Instagram to hear it

19. LMH

LMH Karting

May 5, 2019
    Spain
    Do you mean you sold your Pista because of the sound?

I have a Speciale and GT3 RS and love the sound (NA), have also a 720S and sound is not great, I am changing it for the 765LT Spider to see if between the extra spicy of the LT treatment, and being a spider which that back window that you can put down, it improves the experience.

Also have an F8 in order but that one is to play the Ferrari game to hopefully get the F8 "Pista" whenever that comes... I've tested the F8 and drama/sound/experience wise, coming from the stock Speciale, is a dissapointment

20. LMH

LMH Karting

May 5, 2019
    Spain
    leopoldo likes this.
  21. LMH

LMH Karting

May 5, 2019
    Spain
    Got my 812 last week, in Europe all of them now with GPF...

Lagunae92 and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  22. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    And, how does it sound?

23. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I had a revving contest with my outgoing 488 and incoming 812. No contest, 812 destroys it. No GPF on the 812 for 2020 here in the US.

Lagunae92 and racerdj like this.
  24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Careful, no F8 Pista coming. Save your money. The 765LT is likely to be the best of all of them anyways.

Thecadster and Caeruleus11 like this.
  25. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    You need another 2RS? I’ll sell you mine hahahahaha.