360 J hook battery tie rods | FerrariChat

360 J hook battery tie rods

Discussion in '360/430' started by TooFast355, Apr 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TooFast355

TooFast355 Rookie

Dec 11, 2018
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Randall
    Replacing my 360 battery and need longer J hook battery tie rods due to new battery being slightly taller. Does anyone know where I might source new tie rods that are around 1/2 to 3/4 inch longer?

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    You can get them at most any auto parts store. I got some at AutoZone several years ago.

3. TooFast355

TooFast355 Rookie

Dec 11, 2018
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Randall
    Yes, I purchased 8" j tie rods, but a little long. It's been a bit of a challenge...battery a little tall, j tie rods too short, batter terminal clamp not getting tight just snug...ugh.

4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Yeah, they seem to be made for only one size battery...If you're handy you can run a die down it to expand the threads and then cut off the excess if you cant get the cover to close. That's what I had to do.

TooFast355 likes this.
  5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Get the long rods and take a hack saw to them. They aren't hardened. You will be through them in a few strokes.

TooFast355 likes this.
  6. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    I used these:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-help-5-16-18-in-x-10-in-battery-hold-down-kit-00580/22140496-P?searchTerm=battery+hold+down

As noted above, easily cut with a hacksaw, and I also did as noted above - spun a die on to it before cutting so I could spin it off once cut to straighten any threads damaged. These are also very good because the hook portion is very short so you can actually insert and remove them when the battery is in place, as you will have to do to ensure that the length measurement is correct. You have probably noted that it can't be too long as it will interfere with the little "door" that goes over the battery compartment with the passenger footrest.