488 - Carbon rims protection | FerrariChat

488 Carbon rims protection

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by islandtrader, Apr 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. islandtrader

islandtrader Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2013
    Anybody have any ideas? My most impractical option on my pista though cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Carbon fiber wheels are more practical than most carbon fiber options out there. Just make sure you don't curb them :)

I had carbon fiber wheels on my motorcycle. They are more durable than you might expect.

What sort of protection are you referring to specifically?

Ray

3. islandtrader

islandtrader Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2013
    I guess I don't want them chipped. Its carbon so I'm paranoid!

4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    They are gorgeous and this is the reason I didn’t order them on my car. Too scared to actually drive with them!!

5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Carbon fiber rims are a lot stronger than you are probably imagining.

Before I purchased them for my motorcycle, I remember I was doing research on which wheels to buy. One day I was at Laguna Seca during MotoGP and walking around talking to some of the different vendors. I remember I was walking around when suddenly I came around a corner and saw this guy bouncing a wheel off the ground from about 4 or 5 feet high and then catching it as it bounced back up in the air (directly off the concrete). What the hell?

As I got closer, this guy kept bouncing the wheel right off the concrete and catching it in his hand. He was saying, "Try this with your aluminum motorcycle wheels and see what happens". I wish I had video taped it, because it was pretty unreal. I stopped to chat with him for a while and it turned out he was bouncing a carbon fiber wheel off the ground. Wow?! Crazy. I must have watched him do it 10 or 20 times in a row, while we were talking.

They were demonstrating how strong carbon fiber was and how resistant it was to impact. Even though he was bouncing the rim directly off the concrete (no rubber tire, just the rim itself), if you looked at it, it had no visible damage to it whatsoever. I don't recall if it was gloss or matte finish (like the wheels I ordered for my motorcycle), but seeing that demonstration really left an impression on me as far as how strong carbon fiber actually is.

Later on, a buddy of mine called me up... he had a carbon fiber seat post for his racing bike, which was about .010" too large to go into his bike frame. He wanted to know if I thought I could chuck it up in my lathe and turn it down. I told him not really, but maybe we could put it in the lathe and sand it down. Man oh man, you'd think we were trying to turn down Titanium or something. Just to remove a few thousands, it took quite a bit of work. Carbon fiber is really tough stuff.

I've since done a bit of work with carbon fiber parts and they are strong as can be. You might as well be working with steel.

I have also mounted my own motorcycle tires onto carbon fiber rims, using a jig I welded up for the job. Let me just tell you, carbon fiber wheels are super durable. As long as you don't push them beyond the point where they fracture, then they are extremely strong and resilient. If cost weren't such an issue, I'd happily run carbon fiber rims over forged aluminum rims any day.

Even if you damaged the top glossy coat, I think repairing that would be fairly straight forward. The wheels on my motorcycle were matte finish, so they were even more durable. Below are a couple of photos of the wheels I ran on my motorcycle. I never had even the slightest problems with them.

Ray

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. MoreGarages413

MoreGarages413 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Suburban Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Jay B
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    To protect those who expensive wheel, i recommend curb feelers. I imagine they would look even better on a Pista than on this baller caddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stavura, ShadowLAP and SoCal to az like this.
  7. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    I had them on my 2 Ducati SLs and they looked and felt great on the road
    Curbing them is nonentity on motorcycles but on low profile car tires an issue cosmetically. A little gloss or matte clear coat touch up would probably take care of most minor scratches
    The effect of CF wheels on unsparing weight and handling are measurable

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. dolphins08430

dolphins08430 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2011
    F-Dealer sells wheel protection policy $7k ..... Covers everything for 4 years.

9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'm starting to wonder if Ferrari is a car company or an insurance company :)

Ray

10. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    Wheel protection policy for 7k. Something tells me there is a repair procedure for damage or rims are a high profit item for them.

11. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I doubt very much if there is a repair procedure for carbon fiber wheels, given how they are produced. I think it's more reasonable to assume that Ferrari's cost to replace a carbon fiber wheel is not as expensive as you think.

If I had to wager a guess, I'd say each CF wheel probably doesn't cost Ferrari much over $2000 or $3000 each.

Ray

DoubleD33 likes this.