do you have michelin tires on FF? | FerrariChat

do you have michelin tires on FF?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by IloveGT, Apr 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    if you do, I appreciate it if you can share your experiences. thanks. I think it's time for me to change the tires. 10k miles already. thanks.

2. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Any particular ones you are looking at?...PSS, PS4S, and/or Alpin?

3. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    it seems like PS4S is the direct replacement of PSS. Do you prefer PS4S to PSS?

4. Safster

Safster Rookie

May 13, 2011
    I did some research and settled on PS4S for my FF. Seems to be the current consensus on best tire.

ScottS likes this.
  5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    agreed

6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I put the PS4S on my 612 when they first came out 3 years ago (they weren't even the Ferrari spec as those weren't available initially). They have been an excellent tire. When I have to replace the P Zeros on my FF, I will be putting on the PS4S.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  7. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Thanks! PS4S it is then.

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The Lusso spec MPS4S is the way to go.

It's not night and day compared to the MPSS, but never the less, an upgrade.

Compared to the Pirellis it goes a bit like this

Much less noise
    Better comfort
    No tramlining
    Not slippery on white lines
    Better in the wet
    Better overall dry traction
    Better when cold

Some say the Pirellis have better traction when hot, and I will say that' not a wrong assumption. However, on a car like the FF that is not tracked, this is a non-issue. In normal road conditions where temps are slightly lower than on track, the Michelin is the winner.

FFJayk and FFantastic like this.
  9. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    I can concur 100% with Il Co-Pilota, I done The change on my, FF. He is spot on!

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  10. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    Me too. MPSS on my FF cured the tramlining and felt altogether more planted. Will never ever again specify Pzero because there are better tyres out there but more than that they are mostly made by Chemchina who bought out Pirelli.

11. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    So far have only driven on PSS. Even when the time comes, I doubt I'll be able to tell the difference because I don't push the car hard enough.

12. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    thanks for the replies!

13. Outrun

Outrun Karting

Another vote for the PS4s. I actually took some nearly new Pzeros off mine and stuck them on eBay. I’m sure Pzero would be fine in the warm and dry but that’s not why I have an FF...

Cured tramlining and general feeling of low grip on colder/damp days. Gave me more confidence in the car which felt on edge before.

I actually did the same with my Maserati MC Stradale previously which come with Pzero Corsa on it. Great on a track day, rubbish everywhere else and downright dangerous below 10deg.

14. F140FG

F140FG Karting

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Ferrari
    Michelin are great, but before choosing think about what you want to do with the car, for track use I would go PSC2, otherwise PS4S

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Track tyres on an FF? If you tack that much, you use the wrong car.
    By the way, before recommending tyres, you should consider the fact that the tyre you recommend is not available in the FF/Lusso size. Only track specific tyre that fits the FF/Lusso, is the Trofeo R, and that is the wrong tyre for this car every way. If you want to increase traction on an FF, use a set of 812 wheels with MPS4S 812 spec rubber. If you want to go mad, use the PZC4 TdF rubber. But like I said, the latter makes very little sense.

Bamsefar likes this.
  16. Outrun

Outrun Karting

Are you saying there is an 812 specific PS4s? Mine are F tread so Ferrari compounds, I didn't know there was additional ones for the 812 specifically. Interesting.

17. F140FG

F140FG Karting

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Ferrari
    I don't have a FF, and yes I see that it's not really the point. Having used Michelin over time and different cars(550, 456, 430) I can tell that they worked great for me

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    There's no such thing as a "Ferrari compound". The Michelin K and Pirelli F marked tyres are model specific. Like I explained in another thread, some tyres use different compounds, others do not. Some have a different tread, others have wider or narrower treads. The 275/35R20 and 315/35R20 K1 MPS4S are for the 812. The MPSS 285/30R20 and 315/35R20 K1 is the 599 GTO tyre. The 255/35R20 and 315/35R20 K2 is the F12 tyres. And so on and so on. Ferrari specific does not mean Ferrari compound, tighter tolerances or better quality control.
    Look at the MPS4S in 245/35R20. There's a K1 and a K2. The K1 is the Lusso tyre and the K2 is the Porto variant. Once they come with a 488 MPSS replacement for the F8, that MPS4S will be the K3 if it shares the same load and speed index. K2 vs K1 simply means that K1 is an earlier variant than K2. Had the Porto and Lusso not shared the same load index, both 245/35R20 fronts would have been named K1 as they don't share the same rear size.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Nick Barron and Themaven like this.
  19. Outrun

Outrun Karting

I see, good information. My set of MPS4s are both K1 front and rear so I guess that's Lusso tyres by your description, obviously very similar to the FF.

20. ChrisKing

ChrisKing Karting

Dec 29, 2016
    UK
    We steer all customers towards Michelin, whether its a Ferrari, McLaren, Porsche or Lamborghini. We really do feel they produce the best tyres out there.

otakki and Outrun like this.
  21. SFFerrari

SFFerrari Karting

Jul 21, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LanceD
    I switched to Michelins on my 2012 FF and it is a HUGE improvement! Can't recommend them enough.

22. cam612

cam612 Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    UK
    I have just changed my FF’s tyres from Pirelli to Michelin PS4s K1s. Tramlining has gone. Road noise is reduced. Soooo much better.
    Thanks to this thread for the good info.

Outrun likes this.
  23. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Richmond, VA + Düsseldorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    ANOpax likes this.
  24. Safster

Safster Rookie

May 13, 2011
    Just switched my 2015 FF from PZeros to the MPS4S. It drives like a different car. Ride quality is much better and as the previous poster wrote it’s much less sensitive to road camber and tramlining.

25. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Nice looking F12 wheels on the FF...not sure if they can handle FF's weight, though.