94 512TR 66,000 mile major | Page 21 | FerrariChat

94 512TR 66,000 mile major

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JIMBO, Sep 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  2. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Two lines connect to the back and underside of the coolant reservoir. The smaller hose starts at the thermostat housing, the larger (blue silicone) hose arises from the RH firewall aluminum coolant pipe. Attach with hose clamps after feeding them into best position and cutting to length..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    The coolant tank has 4 attachment points with rubber grommets that fit over 4 studs on the top of the intake manifolds. There are four small (?) fittings that go over the studs first to prevent crushing the rubber. Flat washers and acorn nuts go on top. I am unaware of any torque values. Just snug down. The overflow hose attaches to the rear of the tank with a ring clamp.

4. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    The coils and plug wires are pretty straight forward. I coated the ends of the boots and the edges of the sealing rubber pieces with dielectric grease to make installation easier. First attach coils to frame, then loosely insert boots into plug openings in head, then attach wire loom to head (all 10 mm bolts), and finally push boots over ends of spark plugs and pop sealing pieces into place. Easy peazy.

Frame attachment of coil
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Plug wire loom attachment to head (one of two)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Now attach the braided steel fuel lines to the injector manifold. Again, they are different sizes, so mistakes can't be made. Be careful with the anodized aluminum fittings. Snug into place. The rear braided line is also attached to the fuel rail by a plastic clip.

6. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    From looking at the Spare Parts Manual, there are 4 plastic clips that hold the fuel lines to the fuel rail. Only a couple of bucks, so I'll add those to my next order from TRutlands. Also the little fittings under the coolant reservoir mounts are "spacers". I'm missing one. On the list.

Time to reconnect all the electrical terminals and vacuum lines. I used a couple more wiring harness clips than original to keep things neat.

Here is the plastic clip. I'm missing 2 of them.

This is my harness routing of the left and right sides:

7. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  8. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    The lower clip holds the harness to the 11-pin connector on the left rear frame and the harness for the LH thermocouple ECU (also hidden under fender). The thermocouple harness and the vacuum line go through the big rubber grommets in the frame on their way to their respective destinations. I don't have catalytic converters anymore, so no need for thermocouples. If you disconnect this harness from the ECU, no warning lights are generated. The end is taped off and left hanging inside the fender.
    I could remove the thermocouples and ECUs altogether, but there is a bung in the test pipes for the thermocouple probe that will need to be capped. So it stays.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Behold the lonely thermocouple ECU

9. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    The same harnesses for the ignition coil and the thermocouple exist on the RH rear of the engine, but there is no 11-pin connector.
    There is a vacuum line for the "anti-evaporative emission control system".
    The vent lines from the fuel tanks run into the vapor separator on the firewall and then to the anti-rollover valve (a ball-valve that prevents fuel from flowing out if the car rolls over. If this car rolls over, you are pretty much toast anyway..) and then back to a charcoal canister under the right rear fender. Another vacuum line comes out of the canister, feeds through the two large rubber frame grommets and then to a "Y" fitting where the vacuum line is split, with each side going to an electrically controlled valve that hangs beneath the upper part of the intake manifolds. The rear of the valves has another vacuum hose that connects to manifold vacuum just above the fuel line fittings.
    I thought of just disconnecting the charcoal canister and venting the fuel tanks to atmosphere, but it seems to be functional, so I'll leave it alone. It works (I believe) to vent the tanks and also to allow air back into the tanks so they don't implode from the fuel pumps sucking out fuel. It seems way too complicated.

Vacuum valve under intake manifold showing vacuum and electrical connections

Plastic "Y" fitting connecting right and left vacuum lines from valves

Vacuum line running under cam cover Image Unavailable, Please Login

Vacuum line and thermocouple ECU harness running through grommets Image Unavailable, Please Login

Charcoal canister

10. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I imagine the charcoal canisters are non-functional after 25 years, but is there any benefit/danger to leaving it in place? We don't have emissions checks here in Florida, so true functionality is not an issue.

11. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  12. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I noticed haw crappy the motor mount hardware looked in the previous photos, so I took them out and cleaned them up and re-installed them.
    Much better.

13. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  14. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  15. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  16. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  17. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  18. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  19. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  20. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  21. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Oh wow, I found one of those on my garage floor but I’m pretty sure it came off of my Porsche. Would like to know as well.

22. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
  23. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino

Thanks, JLF. I now know more about these vapor filter canisters than I ever wanted. I will see if the Fiat units are still available, meanwhile I will clean up my existing canister and remove and clean the roll over valve and install fuel filters on each side of the canister to keep the whole system clean. That thread is worth reading.

24. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I tried to find an Alpha or Fiat vapor canister on EBay, but no luck, only a few used units. I even called DiFatta's Fiat parts but they have not had these things in years, so, no choice but to check out my existing system. I had already replaced the old vacuum hoses that go from the valves to the "Y" connector with 3/8" fuel line. The line from the "Y" to the vapor canister is hard plastic and was in good shape. A piece of hose connects it to the canister.
    The line going to the white connection is the intake vacuum. The line going to the black connection is the fuel tank vent line (with 2-way valve just above bend). If I understand correctly, this lets air pass freely from canister to fuel tank, but requires a bit more pressure for vapor too flow the opposite way. Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I removed the 10 mm nut holding the clamping strap and unhooked both vacuum lines.. The canister looked surprisingly good, with no rattles or debris. Air moved easily both ways and also in and out of the vent holes. It was cleaned up and returned to service.

These are the vent holes that allow air to pass through filter and back to tank as gas is sucked out by the fuel pumps. Very important to prevent fuel tank implosion.

Auraraptor likes this.