Any Roll Royce Ghost owner here? Can you help? | FerrariChat

Any Roll Royce Ghost owner here? Can you help?

Discussion in 'British' started by lamborarri, Mar 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    I have been wanting a ghost for some time. Finally I found the one has the perfect color combination that fits my needs. The dealer allowed me to test drive it for like 15 min yesterday. I came back confused. I did put a deposit down last night because I wanted to have it, but I'm not too sure after I woke up. Hopefully any Ghost owner here can help.

Here's my problem, and where it started. I had 2008 Phantom for 4 years, and I have an Alpina B7 now. When I drove the Ghost, it isn't as fun or as good as the B7. The power delivery is kind of laid-back style, but not you would call it fun. Yes it's a much better CAR than Phantom by any measurement. BUT when I open the cup holder, the center console, the NAV system, etc. I can't help but keep thinking why my Rolls Royce having all the BMW parts. I couldn't get over it during the test drive. The sad thing is, the interior looks and touches nothing like a BMW at all, but when you reach under all the components, you feel right away it's a soup up BMW.

I didn't really like how my Phantom drive, it's like a huge boat floating all over the places. However, I felt special everytime I drove it. Not so much as the Ghost. The reason I want a Ghost because I always thought that's a much younger Rolls and fun to daily with. But it doesn't feel all that special after all.

Ghost is better car, better to drive, better to park, better to do everything, but I'm having a hard time to love it. It feels cold to me.
    To the owners, do you think I will love it more once start living with it day to day? Because as a car, I love the Ghost.

psych0hans likes this.
  2. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    You shouldn't spend that kind of money to "warm up to" a car IMO.

Either you love it, or you don't.
    I hemmed and hawed about a Ghost for awhile, extended drive...not sure. Walked into Ferrari and instantly knew I would buy the 458 sitting there. Deal done.

Drive the Wraith maybe, more "sporty" in a gigantic tanker sort of way.

psych0hans likes this.
  3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Sedona, Dallas
    I can't comment specifically about the ghost, but we have a silver seraph that I really like, but its really a different driving experience. I wouldn't call it fun, but it is relaxing. Something about it makes me not feel like I'm in a hurry and I drive accordingly. Its like a sensory deprivation tank. I do think driving it is more of an experience than other cars. Only you can really decide about this, but there are a lot of options out there, and if you are not loving it right away I would look elsewhere.

Strangely, I had a slightly different experience with my 612. My first short drive I thought it was a nice car but wasn't really smitten. But after about an hour driving it in different situations I came to the realization that it is about the perfect GT car and loved how its character could morph with the situation. So it is possible that a 15 minute drive is not enough, but given what you have now and have had in the past I would think you would know right away.

4. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    One of the reasons Rolls bought Bentley in the 1930's, was to have a more sporting drivers cars for owners who liked driving. Rolls has been all about the luxury experience, their cars are designed to be zero effort. Like you should be able to barely touch the steering wheel to turn. The gear shift almost feels broken. The plastic feel like porcelain, etc. The only Rolls I've driven that is more a drivers car, is the Seraph.

I've only driven the Ghost for a few minutes. I like it. But if you are looking for a luxury sedan that offers a driving experience. Id look elsewhere.

psych0hans likes this.
  5. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Bentley interiors dont even try to hide the audi origins. British super luxury should be exclusive and bespoke not parts bin

psych0hans likes this.
  6. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    #6 ARTNNYC, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    If you want a sporting Rolls buy a Wraith. However keep in mind it is still all BMW 7 series underneath. The Phantom is a true bespoke Rolls and the coupe may satisfy your needs

7. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    What a great line :)

Jedi

8. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    I came back to a Phantom after a Bentley and new 7. Nothing is as comfortable. And yes it is bespoke. I rented a Ghost down in Miami recently and it felt very bland. Reminded me of my 7. I would definitely get tired of the Ghost after a few months. But mine is just an opinion. I know some that love it.

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom

a phantom is not a car to drive. It's a car you get driven in.

10. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    I think a car like the Maybach is to be driven in, but the Phantoms rear is not that special. Well mine isn't. Yes it has table and pop up tv and automatic privacy shades but the seat sits too high for me. And I like a more deep seat like a sofa. But more comfortable than most cars. But I drive mine. I cheaffeur my kids to school. I drove a cargo van starting my business so I'm used to big cars.

If I ever got a Ghost it would have to be the Long Wheelbase.

11. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    My wife who usually switches between G-Wagens and R.Rovers got a Phantom to use for a long weekend.
    Dealer had to pry it by force from her fingers clutching the steering wheel on Monday morning.
    She drove it everywhere like her SUVs and loved it.

12. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    That is awesome. The car just soaks up the bumps. I got my wife the new long wheelbase Range Rover to get her used to big cars again. I will tell her your story and maybe she will drive me around in the Phantom for a change.

13. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    Sorry forgot to update. Bought a Phantom in the end. Maybe i had one before, I actually feel it's fun to drive around, you can collect ppl's emotion while driving it around lol!!

14. acmw

acmw Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2006
    Nj
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Few years later... Im looking into getting a ghost now .. There are a few in the 50k mile range for mid $80's... any one have any experience with them?