Two of my favorite documentaries! | FerrariChat

Two of my favorite documentaries!

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Bob Zambelli, Apr 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Lots of pilots wished they had P-47Ds instead of P-51Ds during the Korean War, where the P-51Ds mostly performed CAS. The P-47 could take a lot more damage than a P-51 and still get you home. We sold them off as quickly as we could (or turned them into scrap) as soon as WW-II was over. Was going to say we turned them into beer cans, but aluminum beer cans came much later.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    47 could carry a lot more ordinance too. Its not like the Air Force had a lot of P51s in inventory either. They were paying Cavalier to buy up civilian P51s and put all the gear they took out..back in. I am told if you see a picture of a Korea era P51 with a fixed tail wheel it was probably a Cavalier conversion. They did it to reduce maintenance for civilian conversions.

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    In 1943 I was walking the beach early one morning just after sunrise when I heard a muffled sound behind me. Coming up from the south at maybe 500 feet was a P-47 doing slow rolls and leaving a twisted trail of wing tip streamers behind him. Better than a bowl of Wheaties !

thecarreaper likes this.
  5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nothing could out-roll a P-47. Very useful in combat if you knew what you were doing.

thecarreaper likes this.
  6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Long span and well designed ailerons took up most of the outboard wing trailing edge. I always think of an ex-P47 pilot friend who sawed the tail off of a JU88 when he was out of ammo and they were going to get away. He was a Polish ex-patriot in the USAAF and hated the Germans....and the Russians.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Great airplane that never got the accolades or attention it deserved outside of the circles of the men who flew them.

I used tell a Mustang owner I knew a 47 could go higher, faster, further and could nearly carry his 51.

red27, thecarreaper and Bob Parks like this.