Is now an opportune moment for Ferrari to announce permanent production cuts? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Is now an opportune moment for Ferrari to announce permanent production cuts?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by SirPouyan, Apr 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I would imagine they will carry on building to order .Less orders ok make less.I do think they will struggle selling BB and LB though.

2. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    that is because it cost too much for their buyers and they had to cut corners and the interior is nowhere near as special as the exterior! Ferrari has a lot bigger margin to work with, so they can make a very nice product

3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    DGPF likes this.
  4. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    The allure of Ferrari is not about selling affordable race car. A 150k Ferrari in today's market is likely to hurt the brand. How long does Ferrari have to wait for these entry level customers to make enough money to upgrade to the regular priced Ferrari, when they are leasing the 150k car for 2k a month? You know what I mean? 150k car is really not much nowadays in car market. A high end BMW and Audi is close to it already. Let Corvette be the affordable race car with supercar performance. I am quite fine with that.

The allure of any expensive item on the market always has to do with psychology of the customer which is about the exclusivity of the item purchased. Watch, wine, car, jet, yacht are just few examples. I for one will lose interest if "everyone" is driving a 150k BMW even with a horse logo in it.

I like Dino but not at 150k. So, I say reduce the production number, not at 1 less, but 100 or 1000 less. Length the life cycle, avoid the mistakes of McL. Make the special edition really special and not like any youtuber with 300k follower can have it.

totally ranting here for what is worth.

mclaudio, kenguru, SirPouyan and 2 others like this.
  5. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    Very good analogy, they simultaneously mean nothing, yet give me all privileges lol

6. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida

7. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    10,100 units is a far cry from mass produced. That’s about 4% of the volume Porsche delivered and less than 2% of Land Rover, and identical to McLaren give or take a few. Let’s give them a little slack and see how this pans out. You may get to say I told you so, but maybe not.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. 2Velocebro

2Velocebro Rookie

Apr 13, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon Davis
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

DGPF likes this.
  9. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    #34 IloveGT, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    lol. A boomer? That was so 2019. Plus, you only have 411 followers on your instagram. https://www.instagram.com/2_veloce/

I was talking about those with 300k followers. Not you. I am sorry if I have offended your dream of leasing a Ferrari for 2k a month though.

10. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I think I mentioned this before, but Porsche sells more special edition 911's than standard edition 911's. In effect, if you want a special edition 911, you have to get the standard edition.

But wait, there's more!

They will take a standard Porsche and add special edition bits to it, and then leave off some special edition bits so it looks like a standard edition car. This is their most popular standard special edition. Porsche is the only car company that will charge you for putting stuff on the car, then taking it off before they give it to you.

11. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    totally agree. Porsche is absolutely the master of this kind of milking game. I almost lost it when I played with the configurator online. You want this leather color? please choose the special cupholder option first.

12. 2Velocebro

2Velocebro Rookie

Apr 13, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon Davis
    Haha, I'm sorry if my meme upset you. It was just a joke. It's cool to know you cared enough to Instagram stalk a page I haven't used in nearly a year though. Glad you're thinking of me. ;)

I think we're really deviating from the original topic, however. It's probably best if we keep it to the conversation about production numbers. If you have anymore of your witty banter you'd like to send my way, please feel free to PM me.

DGPF likes this.
  13. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    10.000 units every year is nothing in this automotive industry environment. The PSA Group (Citröen, Peugeot, Opel) produced nearly 3.8 million cars alone last fiscal year. And that’s just ONE manufacturing group.

What bums me about Ferrari’s present and future strategy isn’t increasing production from 7 to 10.000: it’s making SUVs and hybrids. It’s the quality of the strategy (or, in my view, lack thereof) not the output per se, as 10.000 units is pretty exclusive had they confined themselves to make true super sports cars exclusively.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

JTSE30 likes this.
  14. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    More than even hybrids, SUVs, or even the economics of being a public company, what’s causing Ferrari to veer off the road (obligatory auto related metaphor), is the bizarre regulatory world we find ourselves in. Indeed, for me, most of the recent “bad changes” find their origin story in the reactions to the various regulatory initiatives.

Perhaps, the best way to measure Ferrari volume is to index it with total global equity, or even number of millionaire (even though that number doesn’t mean what it did formerly) households per Ferrari. Were the volume indexed, we might be surprised how the effective volume might have recently gone down.

All that said, the market realities are going to dictate volume from this point forward. Interesting times.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  15. SirPouyan

SirPouyan Karting
    BANNED

Oct 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    SirPouyan
    What do you mean by "effective volume" might have recently gone down? Do you mean "effective volume" goes down as a result of the recent epidemic reducing the number of millionaire households? Or do you mean the number of millionaire households has shot up over the past few years, and Ferrari production has failed to keep up with that ratio (hence, a lower "effective" or "commensurate" ratio because F production is not keeping up with the number of rich people)?

Both points are very interesting. In either case, if the epidemic is reducing global excess wealth, then the only solution if for a lower overall F production, isn't it?

A counter argument would be that Ferrari will maintain/increase production because it is going to pick up lots of Porsche and AMG buyers. But those companies have the finances to cut prices all day long and keep their customers.

16. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    It's all good. I knew it was a joke. Wasn't instagram stalking you at all. It's in your profile. But whilst yours was a joke, mine wasn't - I was really offering apology if I offended your dream of leasing a Ferrari at 2k a month. I wasn't sensitive enough because I assumed most users here are older folks like me and don't lease a Ferrari.

17. 2Velocebro

2Velocebro Rookie

Apr 13, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon Davis
    No worries man, we're all good. No need to apologize or explain yourself to me.

18. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Gentlemen,

Thank you and congratulations to you both for sorting out your differences in such a cordial and respectful manner. You’ve set an example.

If more were like you both, my job would be considerably easier.

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

IloveGT likes this.
  19. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    I think the retro TBird failed and still has a poor resale market simply because of the crappy engine it offered. If it would have had the 5.0L in it new sales and resale would be much better.

20. SirPouyan

SirPouyan Karting
    BANNED

Oct 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    SirPouyan
    Rumor from credible sources ... production cut announcement coming. One of the models about to get discontinued.

21. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Which model is that according to your info?

22. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Lusso must be on the chop list.When you consider the ones coming back to the market after being bought as part of the game...

23. SirPouyan

SirPouyan Karting
    BANNED

Oct 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    SirPouyan
    Chopping the Lusso won't do anything to fix over production issues - it is at the end of its life anyway. No, its definitely not the Lusso.

24. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Ferrari sold a total of 10,131 cars in 2019 and each car had a 23.2 percent operational margin. This translates to 86,369 euros in profit per car, or $94,474 according to the latest exchange rates.

https://carbuzz.com/news/heres-why-every-automaker-is-jealous-of-ferrari?fbclid=IwAR15XEDx2mbWJujqzrpHY_zli-xBWHUwIm_YCkb-oVrw1cN3Bc7SZiX7iKU

Dilute the brand to appease the shareholders, Screw the actual car owners.

:mad: