Heat exchanger for Dino 246 L series | FerrariChat

Heat exchanger for Dino 246 L series

Discussion in '206/246' started by pshoejberg, Jun 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Hello all. I just sprung a small leak on the heat exchanger on my L series Dino. Have anyone tried reparing one of these or maybe installed and used the DinoParts aftermarket heat exchanger for the Dino 206 / 246 L series? To me it looks like the mounting bracket on the backside of the Dino parts exchanger housing is missing, but it could be the picture angle that's wrong?

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Best Peter

2. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
  3. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #3 pshoejberg, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Thanks for the hint. The picture in my thread shows a 206 and 246 early L series aftermarket heat exchanger. Oil lines are attached in the ends and cooling water to the straight side inlets. The sparepart number is #240283. The one on ebay is for a series 1, 246 and I believe that is after serial numbers 01116. See picture below for the correct heat exchanger.

Best Peter

4. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
  5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Peter given your skills you should look at repairing the existing cooler yourself. It is a pretty simple assembly that can be cut open, welded as needed, and re-sealed and painted. I do not know of a readily available correct spare part for your car so you can save yourself time and money by fixing what you have.

6. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thanks Rob. You are right, it should be repaired. I just pulled the unit out of the car 10 minutes ago and investigated a bit. Thankfully it is all made of brass and soldered together. I see several small pit holes in the solder, so it needs to be dismantled, acidized and re-soldered. This is the perfect job for my radiator guy that runs a one-man shop and makes real quality repairs including subsequent pressure test. I have +3000 Km of driving ahead of me in a few days, so I really need something that works first time.

Best Peter

Nuvolari likes this.
  7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    If you have an old school radiator guy then that is the perfect solution. Give it to him and you can be sure of a reliable drive ahead.

8. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #8 pshoejberg, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    This turned into a nice small weekend project. I chose to fix the unit myself due to the urgency. Cleaned out the inners using a strong acid and removed the paint. I found several pin holes in the solder on both end-caps so that explains the leaks and bobbling paint. After removing most of the old solder I re-soldered the end-caps and pressure tested the unit. New paint tomorrow and installation on Monday. Money saved and originality ensured.

Best Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

Nuvolari and dgt like this.
  9. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Nice job!
    Best solution, see you in a few weeks!

Nuvolari and pshoejberg like this.
  10. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Lovely work as usual Peter...would not have expected anything less.

Regards to all in Roskilde!

Alberto

11. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thanks Alberto. The car is back on the street with drip free bottom, new oil, plugs and cleaned carburetor jets. It is running like a charm and ready for the run to Italy next week. Signe has started to build her self up mentally for the long run preparing play lists and literature to make the drive a bit more comfortable. Are you joining us in Italy?

Best Peter

sturrisi likes this.
  12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I wished I could Peter, just returned from visiting my sister in Milano, and could not stay much longer.

Certainly, I envy you and Signe...Nicole says she would follow, but only in a modern car :rolleyes:
    Have a wonderful trip, and eat lots of tortellini :)

Best, Alberto

pshoejberg likes this.
  13. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    If someone is looking for a similar original part, I can help.