84 Mondial QV starting problem | FerrariChat

84 Mondial QV starting problem

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by rjp80s, Apr 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rjp80s

rjp80s Rookie

Jan 24, 2017
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Rick Pleczko
    I drove my QV this morning. Stopped, turned the ignition off, got out of the car for ten minutes, then pressed the switch to release the engine deck lid, and it wouldn't release. The hood and the trunk release switches worked just fine.

I then tried to start the car. It wouldn't start. I could hear the fuel pump running, but when I turned the ignition to the start position, nothing. Not even the click of the solenoid, just a quiet sort of 'tweet' noise from the engine bay area.

Has anybody experienced this and knows the potential cause?

Oh and btw I have an upgraded fuse box (from Stefan at Redbay) that I installed two years ago that's been working fine.

Help greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Rick

2. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Have you checked the terminals at the battery to ensure that they're tight and clean? My car did this once as well. It had a loose positive cable. I removed the cables, cleaned the terminals, tightened everything back up and it started first turn of the ignition. It of course could be the board getting hot as the symptoms are very similar. However, since you've upgraded yours, that shouldn't be it.

Good luck!

2cam

rjp80s and moysiuan like this.
  3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Put the head lights on to see if the battery has good charge, turn the key to start- do the lights go out or just dim down a bit. Check the battery terminals and the battery volts with the headlights on and off, if big difference then battery, other wise elsewhere.

rjp80s likes this.
  4. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    How old is your battery?

rjp80s likes this.
  5. rjp80s

rjp80s Rookie

Jan 24, 2017
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Rick Pleczko
    The battery is about four years old and is kept on a trickle charger when the car is not driven. When I started the car, I put the headlights on and there was no evidence of dimming. I'll check the battery terminals today, Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.
    Cheers,rick

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If its not dimming the lights down on starting its not that bad- you can try a meter on the cigarette light contacts , should be 10.5 volts or more with starter going in, if its like my mondial

rjp80s likes this.
  7. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    It sounds like weak battery symptoms to me, check if the electrolyte level high enough, sometimes trickle charging can boil off the fluid over time, or you can get corrision around the terminals from constant gas discharge associated with the charging. 4 years is the age where I replace a battery.

rjp80s likes this.
  8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Its certainly getting on- if u can get a Toyota battery to fit, they are better than any others. 8 years in all the toyotas i have had.

rjp80s likes this.
  9. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    As everyone said, could be weak battery or loose/corroded terminals. But with a Mondial, it could be the connection at the starter itself. There's a lot of voltage drop between the ignition and the starter solenoid, and those connections get corroded as well given their position.

Give the starter a good whack and see what happens.

After that, I would recommend installing a starter relay kit to get that voltage up to that starter solenoid.

rjp80s and davem like this.
  10. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    yes we all went trough this....it took me several months to find my culprit. Is whas a bad contact between coil and distributor.
    Here you find some DIY suggestions.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/sticky-mondial-8-qv-3-2-t-repair-thread.209843
    See #2 for the starter relay kit.
    Other important issue is extra ground wires see #3...
    If you have an issue with that fuseboard...I did make it. So you can ask me everything about it.
    Guido

rjp80s likes this.
  11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Jack the car up and find the starter motor and solenoid under the car- take the power cable off the starter motor. Connect the meter across the solenoid and turn the key, is the solenoid working ?

rjp80s likes this.
  12. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    If lights aren’t dimming when you try and crank the engine then it’s not the battery or it’s connections. I don’t see any relay between the key switch and the solenoid so it has to be something to do with the starter solenoid or the wire going to the solenoid. I agree with above post to put a volt meter on little wire on solenoid and try to crank engine, if you get 12 volts but no crank or click it’s the solenoid. If no 12 volts it’s the wire or key switch.

rjp80s likes this.
  13. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The fact description also noted the engine lid solenoid did not work. Either a sheer coincidence, or the battery is weak. With a four year old battery, and wonky symptoms, I would get a new battery first before digging deeper. The lights might dim but still not have enough juice to activate the starter solenoid. Sorry to keep on the battery but it must be ruled out before I would go deeper.

rjp80s likes this.
  14. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    New idea: does the hood latch and starter wiring go thru the same harness connector that might be loose? Otherwise it’s a hell of a coincidence.

rjp80s likes this.
  15. Albert Penello

Albert Penello Karting

Jul 21, 2019
    Woodinviille, WA
    Full Name:
    Albert J Penello, Jr.
    I had this problem a few times and it was, in fact, a loose negative battery terminal.

The cable can be on tight enough for the lights to function but not tight enough to engage the starter. I think the fact that you have NOTHING is generally a loose connection somewhere.

rjp80s likes this.
  16. rjp80s

rjp80s Rookie

Jan 24, 2017
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Rick Pleczko
    Well, you called it. A loose negative battery terminal. Once tightened she started right up.

Thanks everyone for you help.

Cheers, Rick

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Albert Penello, moysiuan and 2cam like this.
  17. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Nice! You gotta love easy fixes!

2cam

MikeDLA, rjp80s and moysiuan like this.