488GTE steering wheel STOLEN Retromobile | FerrariChat

488GTE steering wheel STOLEN Retromobile

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by tomgt, Feb 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Today a 488GTE steering wheel was stolen from the Corse e Strada stand at Retromobile Paris

unique piece on a plexi stand special made for this event
    If you know where it is or being offered let me know!

Thief or healer will be hunted down!

please share on your instagram or facebook accounts. Thank you

2. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    heck..that's a big thing, not easy to steal! Hope you can catch the bad guys....

3. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    How on earth does someone steal from this big case of plexiglass the steering wheel? Maybe later, after the show.

4. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    glass case, 10kgs! 0830 AM
    10:00 AM opening Retromobile for visitors

5. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    It will be offered for sale for sure!

6. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    The s/n of the steering wheel is 117

7. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    #7 tomgt, Mar 13, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2020
    Two steering wheels were stolen from AF Corse
    One for sure a 488GTE at Spa Francorchamps

One I found, now how to get it back?

8. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #8 chrixxx, Mar 13, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2020
    I could offer personal pick up.... I'll make him an offer he can't refuse!

9. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    It will come back to AFC

NürScud likes this.
  10. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    “ To Whom It May Concern,
    My name is Zach Hodgson and I am the owner of Turn Racing, LLC located in the United States. I am a very small one man shop where I operate and live in a loft above my shop. I build steering wheels for racing simulators full time.
    On December 5, 2019 someone who is a fan of my work reached out to me and told me about a listing on MarktPlaats.nl in the Netherlands of an original Ferrari 488 steering wheel listed for sale. The original URL link of the listing can be found here:
    https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/auto-onderdelen/besturing/m1488954600-racestuur-ferrari-488-org ineel.html?c=9b26ed2a557deff636f4f8b9c5b7a618
    Although the listing has since been taken down the URL will still show the relevant information.
    The fan and I became acquainted well enough that he agreed to pick up the steering wheel locally from the seller and ship it to me. He had absolutely no knowledge of it being stolen and acted in good faith. The transaction was in cash and did not go through the Marktplaats website since he was located so close to the seller that he could drive to the sellers house and pick it up.
    As a big time Ferrari fan I thought this as the opportunity of a lifetime and purchased the wheel from the fan for the same price of 2,500 Euro or $2,770.98 USD. I purchased this in good faith thinking this was a private collector and was obtained legally. I was told that the steering wheel was from a 488 GTE car that crashed at Spa and was given no more information.
    Since my business is in sim racing hardware my plan was to convert it to simulator use and possibly resell it. On March 13, 2020 I posted a picture of the wheel after I was able to convert it to be used on PC in the simulator. In this message I also state that it was purchased from a private collector in the Netherlands and that I would consider selling it only to the best offer above my purchase price. I hope to share this as proof that I had no bad intentions toward Ferrari and/or it’s property. I also have not posted any public pictures detailing the intellectual property inside the steering wheel.
    A few hours after my initial post of the steering wheel, Tom Wiggers reached out to tell me that he thought this particular steering wheel was stolen. Upon learning this new information I immediately deleted all posts and images related to this steering wheel and consulted with Tom Wiggers whether or not this was a stolen piece of equipment from AF Corsa and the next steps to take.
    Tom was able to confirm that this was indeed a stolen piece of equipment from AF Corsa. Upon learning this information I packed everything up and shipped it back to the rightful owners immediately.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience this has caused AF Corsa and it’s owners. As a small business owner this loss puts significant strain on me financially, however I want to work together with honesty and integrity to return the item and resolve this issue amicably.
    Here is the seller’s contact information: Arno Xxxxxxx
    Xxxxxxx
    zxxxxx xxxxxx
    This is all the information I have on the seller and transaction.
    Kind regards,
    Zach Hodgson Owner
    Turn Racing, LLC
    1703 Kyle Dr. NE Alexandria, MN 56308 United States of America
    +1 320 262 6776 [email protected]

AF Corse and Michelotto are informed
    Police Italy and Netherlands will do the follow up on this Dutch “healer” who might have bought this wheel in good faith.

now we need to find the steering wheel stolen at Retromobile and the other one from Spa Francorchamps.

I thank Zach for cooperation and very quick handling sending the wheel back to Italy.

honest people do exist.

11. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Did Zach get his money back?

12. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Marktplaats marketplace website is Ebay owned
    Do not know anything about their pay back policy.

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    He notes he did not use the marketplace, as I read it...so he lost the cash....

14. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    did you obtain Zack's permission to post his name, company name and even cell phone number on public forum? I hope you did.

15. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Hello Mr or Miss IloveGT
    If you want to know more PM me and use your real name.